Villa 0 – Swansea 3: A shambles. What the hell has happened to us?

It’s well and truly “wheels have fallen off” now, isn’t it?

I listened to the first half on WM while driving home and then the second half on AVTV.
AVTV weren’t so critical, as you’d expect, but WM were pretty scathing and basically said we were awful.
The Mail and various other online articles back this up.

Suffice to say, it wasn’t good.

We made six changes and I doubt anyone would really have argued much against them before the game.
Yes, some players were played out of position, but I think this was more about Dean Smith getting a look at who could step up.
And it proved disappointing all round, from what I heard. Indeed, the only player who carried himself well was John McGinn, who sounded like the only player that cared.

The most disappointing part for me (apart from Kalinic seemingly dropping a clanger so early) was Callum O’Hare.
I’ve wanted to see him get a chance, but WM didn’t pull any punches in hinting that he was a boy playing a man’s game, with the way he was muscled off the ball so easily.
The boos from the fans when he was substituted suggest he should have stayed on, but I suspect the reality is that he was probably having a shocker. Certainly, from what I was hearing, either he didn’t have a clue what the manager expected of him or Smith simply wasn’t getting his message across properly.
Either way, I’d suggest it was the better solution to hook him rather than let him have a whole game being ineffective.

Also disappointing is the fact that absolutely no one stepped up.
Hogan missed chances and Lansbury tried, but it was all huff and puff with absolutely no quality to be found in the side.

After a great start under Dean Smith, we’ve moved onto a very, very poor run of results and any hopes of promotion seem to be going out of the window rapidly.
If Abraham does actually go, you have to wonder where the goals will come from, as I hinted recently.

I suspect this will be a massive eye-opener for the manager and given that I really don’t think he’ll have much money to spend in this window, I also suspect he’ll be very worried.

Interesting, albeit concerning times.
It seems the squad needs quite a bit of a overhaul, but Smith won’t be able to do much.

We all knew that the “feelgood” factor was too good to last, didn’t we?

Bill Pearson January 5, 2019 at 7:33 pm .

Tell the truth I’ve seen it all now, Hitch got it right in saying manager syndrome, we are not improving what we have seen is a different system in the game looking better but not, I’m tell you now that team going nowhere believe me its not, you can come out with we need this we need that if the team doesn’t play to win then give it up.I’ll say it again one man on that pitch wanted to win and you all know who. Give me 10 more like him I’d be happy.

DSVilla January 5, 2019 at 7:34 pm .

Didn’t see the match as I was at the pantomime. I’ll avoid making the obvious comparison with the game. We looked a bit shambolic on the highlights.

I suspect the situation hasn’t changed that much from where we were before this game. Grealish coming back will be important, but if Abraham goes we will probably still struggle. We still need more energy at DM.

Wheels coming off indeed

Hitchens60 January 5, 2019 at 8:03 pm .

He’s behind you or in this case too late he’s past you LOL

nath January 5, 2019 at 7:35 pm .

ohare sub i heard the boos and i cant understand why they booed because he was off the pace thou he did show good touches he was never fully in the game always on the outskirts. in fact when we made the changes we did look far better. but not enough to mount any serous comebacks

Pat 57 January 5, 2019 at 8:08 pm .

What’s the problem? We can concentrate on the league now, can’t we? 🙂

Seriously though I hope that DS has told the team that he’s not interested in cups because if they were really trying today then we’re in trouble. We’ll see in the next game against Wigan.

Whatever happens we’ll need to stick with DS and not lose patience, it usually takes at least one to two full seasons to turn a team around so it may not happen for us straight away.

BTW lets give the new goalie some time before we start on him. I always remember Man Ure fans’ scathing remarks about De Gea in his first season and he didn’t turn out too bad.

Hitchens60 January 5, 2019 at 8:16 pm .

According to BBC – Abraham is expected to sign on loan with Wolves next week subject to FIFA clearing him to play for his third team in the same season,

With Abraham gone, Grealish and Tuanzebe injured until February / March and Smith probably limited with signings I honestly don’t see us being good enough to make the play offs.

Pat’s comments suggest he feels the same although I’m not trying to put words in his mouth.

bill evans January 5, 2019 at 8:36 pm .

I watched the game and we played awful for the most part. Hutton playing central defense is madness to me. Why not bring in a real center half from the u23s? Hogan is a lost cause in my opinion. He’s slow and can’t hold up the ball. I wish Smith would finally let him go.

Nevertheless, I’m not too concerned because:
    1) We need to focus on the league
    2) The new keeper got his hands dirty.
    3) Hogan has to go and he demonstrated exactly why, today.
    4) Keenan Davis is back and looks sharp. I’d pick him any day over Hogan.

UTV

Holte66 January 5, 2019 at 9:07 pm .

Let’s not get too despondent yet. Yes today was a day to forget but at least the owners might be more convinced that we need extra reinforcements now. In an ideal world some of the players we already have would be sold too. If only we could move on Whelan, Jedinak, Taylor and maybe after today Hogan. I’ve already set my mind on Championship football next season. We just have to be in a better position for the start, with no reliance on loan players. Also Grealish will probably be sold in the summer, so who can we get in to do what he does? Also why keep U23s when productivity is practically zero. Keep the U18s and ship out on loan the most talented.

Bill Pearson January 5, 2019 at 10:24 pm .

From Birmingham Live.

The Villa boss blasted his under-par team for failing to deliver a display in front of a disgruntled Villa Park who voiced concerns for the first time during his reign.

There were boos at half-time, full-time and when Smith replaced youngster Callum O’Hare with Jonathan Kodjia early in the second half.

Speaking after the game, the boss revealed how he tried to rev up his side with a rousing half-time team talk that would subsequently fall on deaf ears.

And he called on his players to show the kind of commitment never-say-die midfielder, John McGinn, regularly shows in times ahead.

Holte66 January 5, 2019 at 10:36 pm .

Bill, the last thing we need is for the players to become scared of playing at Villa Park, like they were a couple of seasons ago. I know fans pay good money but we won’t win every game. The fans would get more from the team by way of supporting or not saying anything. Also booing Smiths substitutes is pointless unless they want a new manager every season.

Hitchens60 January 6, 2019 at 8:02 am .

Blimey Bill, that sounds a bit desperate on Smith’s part!

Where’s the ‘we showed them clips of the first half’ team talk gone?