Villa 0 – 0 Brentford; Was that good enough? You tell me.

After the Bristol City game I said that things weren’t good enough and got crucified by some for it.

I didn’t see or even hear any of today’s game, so can’t comment.
All I do know is that Johnstone made at least two world-class saves, we had one shot on target and Brentford (who apparently hadn’t kept a clean sheet in 14 away games) were the better side. We never fail to end other teams’ poor runs, it would seem.

I wonder what Tony Xia thinks of today’s result?

He doesn’t seem too happy does he?

And who can blame him?
Quite simply, that result isn’t good enough, as it means we’re falling further behind the leaders.
Of course, it’s still early days, but you have to wonder how long Xia is going to let the lack of results continue.

So that’s six points from six games, which is nothing like promotion form and it’s all very disappointing.
The big question is, do we think Bruce can turn things around?
I have to say I’m beginning to have serious doubts and the pressure is going to be piled on him again.

And to cap it all, Green has done his hamstring.
A bad day all round.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. ifiruledtheworld September 10, 2017 at 3:51 pm . Reply

Before saying anything else, I don’t like seeing Tony tweeting things like that. Whatever about giving us a little tease on transfers, he needs to keep his emotions and certain things behind closed doors. A lot of fans were already panicking and calling for Bruce’s head, so to see our chairman share something like that after the game was not needed. Though his intentions are good, seems he still has a lot to learn.

Now then, I’m still willing to give Bruce this month, as it’s still just as massive to our season as it was before yesterday’s game. I believe many people thought we’d beat Brentford and hoped for a draw against Middlesbrough.. but what if we win Tuesday, are we back on track? Things are frustrating, but a lot of us need to calm down. If you’re gonna boo the team off at halftime and full time, then why go to the games? Our expectations, and reactions at the games like yesterday are part of the problem.

I see for some that’s it’s as simple as Bruce being the problem, yet they offer no solution. To sack Bruce now and throw another manager in during this crucial month would be suicidal, I fear.

1. DSVilla September 10, 2017 at 9:00 pm . Reply

Not for me. Bruce has had plenty of time. His team, his squad, his coaching staff, his tactics and motivation/man management. He had a full pre-season which so many argued was key. The team is clueless and the buck stops at Bruce. this season is practically over, and will certainly be (ok my opinion) come the end of September.

Why is September crucial? because Bruce failed to deliver in matches before and we are already well adrift.

Suicide is to continue with something that is so obviously failing. Realistically, what is going to change?

To cap it all, you are willing to give Bruce September(3 weeks). If he fails to deliver presumably you are OK to see him go? You’re thinking the same way as most of us then, just a little slower to get there šŸ˜‰

1. ifiruledtheworld September 10, 2017 at 9:36 pm . Reply

Just as you ask what if he fails to deliver, what if he does deliver? Writing off our season in September is crazy. Not the start any of us would have liked but we’re just 2 wins from getting in the top 6, a win at home Tuesday night against one of our direct rivals and we’ll be really applying the pressure.

And again you don’t answer. Sack Bruce and then what? Someone will just come in, click their fingers and we’ll jump up the league? It’s easy to call for the manager to be sacked, but once again the people who say our problems are so clear don’t even mention a solution.

1. DSVilla September 11, 2017 at 7:28 am . Reply

I have said on here I don’t know the answer to who our manager should be. I wanted Wagner when the rumours were that he was in frame. I’m just voicing my opinion that’s all. It’s down to Xia to decide whether he sticks with Bruce. I have better things to do than play football manager. And just as you say I haven’t answered your question you haven’t answered mine. If you think we should stick with Bruce why would you feel different if we get little out of September? What real signs are there that he can change things? I just don’t see it but I will happily call you right if it turns out that way.

2. Villain1 September 10, 2017 at 5:29 pm . Reply

If Bruce stays til the end of September, the season will be over. We’ve already blown automatic promotion, another month of home draws and losses away will leave us too far off the play offs. It would be suicidal to let him stay. I’ll keep saying it… every game and week with Bruce is time and points wasted and every week I’m proved 100% correct.
    For those that say there is no solution, of course there is. Football is a global game and there would be multiple young coaches out there willing to join us, implement an attacking philosophy to suit both the squad and mentality we have. It’s about having that drive, ambition but also international football knowledge on the board. Just like Leeds found Thomas Christiansen, Huddersfield found Wagner and so on. We don’t have any, just a tired old dinosaur in Wyness, who sticks to his old pal Bruce.
    I feel for Tony, he’s wasted so much money already due to poor advice and poor decision making. He could well lose interest if we don’t go up by the end of next season when the parachute payments run out, which is why we need to act now unless we want to condemn ourselves to the next decade in the lower leagues.

1. villaawayindiv3 September 10, 2017 at 8:21 pm . Reply

Half time and full time booing…….of course it should be allowed…..how else do the players and the rest of AV know it’s not on.They will think they can keep getting away with it.How else can the fans show dissapointment.Maybe invent a chant saying “We think you were not quite on the ball old chap”.

1. Villain1 September 10, 2017 at 8:31 pm . Reply

I agree, fans should be allowed to voice their discontent. We of course have no divine right in this division, plenty of big names have failed but given the investment we have made we should not find ourselves 18th in the table struggling to have a shot on target and playing with a defensive, ultra cautious mindset. Bruce always knew he would be under pressure from the word go this season so he has not right to attack or criticise the fans.

3. originallondonlion September 11, 2017 at 1:03 am . Reply

The VP crowd has never given uncritical support. VP isn’t quite in the Glasgow Empire class – No turn unstoned – but he crowd expects to be entertained, and will reward both success and bravery with plaudits. If it sees funk and failure it gives the finger – or the verbal equivalent.

1. villaawayindiv3 September 11, 2017 at 11:43 am . Reply

De Boer sacked……what if we loose tomorrow?
      Maybe SB will be sweating a bit.

1. Villain1 September 11, 2017 at 1:31 pm . Reply

On the plus side it takes Hodgson off the market for when Bruce is sacked….. bullet dodged there

4. Ardent Villain September 11, 2017 at 9:07 pm . Reply

Not surprised to see people caling for Bruce’s head: he doesn’t seem to have made any progress at all in the last 6 months.

Personally I think that making another management change [& all that goes with it] just yet is probably too soon, but if Xia is really tweeting what he feels then my guess is that barring a completely unexpected turnaround [that means 3-4 wins out of the next 4-5 games] we’ll be back to square one, looking for yet another ‘saviour’ – and then ‘making allowances’ for the new man to have an effect.

However, the biggest problem I see with firing Bruce is that there won’t be a queue of capable candidates forming outside the doors of VP: it’d take a fortune to tempt most of the ‘want-to-haves’ away from their present clubs, even assuming that they weren’t put-off by Villa’s recent managerial-merry-go-round history.

We’d most likely end-up trawling the ranks of the currently-unemployed again and hire Fat Sam…