Page 1 of 1
  1. Langfordvilla February 2, 2014 at 3:42 pm . Reply

RIP Tony…i recall that Spurs game. I think John Sleeuwenhoek, Alan Deakin played. Was Colin Withers in goal. Someone remind me who else was in that team. Alan Baker, Harry Burrows, Ron Tindall?
    RIP Tony.

1. Badger123 February 2, 2014 at 5:21 pm . Reply

I worked with Alan Deakin down Metro Cammel for a while, Langford.
      Top bloke.

1. Langfordvilla February 2, 2014 at 5:25 pm . Reply

Badger…thats interesting. My Dad worked there, presuming that you are talking about the Wahwood Heath factory. Used to go to their kids xmas parties there. Late 50s, early 60s

1. Badger123 February 2, 2014 at 5:50 pm . Reply

Yes, Washwood heath, mid 80’s.
          Great job, but bloody hard work.
          It made me laugh working there, because they paid the National award, or as it was still called then, the “war bonus”.
          Anyway I digress.

My old man rated him highly and said only Bobby Moore kept him out of the England side but think he had a big leg injury that finished him in the game???

1. Langfordvilla February 2, 2014 at 5:56 pm .

Yes…I think his knee was fucked up. Goes to show how you just couldnt retire after football in those days. Modern players, 4 seasons at the top and they are made for life. Thats what pisses me off about alot of todays players…feigning injuries, etc…how times have changed. My dad passed away mid 70s. He was a carriage builder, and yes your right it was really hard graft.

2. Langfordvilla February 2, 2014 at 3:44 pm . Reply

Jimmy McEwan…Phil Woosnam? Nigel Sims, Charlie Aitken?…fuck me, my memory is struggling, somebody help. Im sure Bill will help me out 🙂

3. billys boots February 2, 2014 at 3:54 pm . Reply

Vic crowe,Geoff sidebottem, Fraser, ron wyle ?

1. Langfordvilla February 2, 2014 at 4:00 pm . Reply

Oh yeah…cheers BB

1. Bill Pearson. February 2, 2014 at 5:26 pm . Reply

J slwenokeok. Baker Chatterley, Gray am, Lee, macewan, woosnam Burrows, cannot remember all Langford

1. Langfordvilla February 2, 2014 at 5:41 pm . Reply

Bill…cheers mate. Was Lew Chatterley in our side then? Barry Stobart?….fucking memory. Could easily look it up but wanted to test my memory as well. Derek (mohican) Dougan?

1. Bill Pearson. February 2, 2014 at 5:50 pm .

Fuck me remember him when he ran onto the pitch with that haircut the crowd was stunned , I laught my head off.

2. Langfordvilla February 2, 2014 at 6:00 pm .

Bill..yes mate. He had the mohican donkeys years before Beckham. What a character the Doug was. Do you remember that he once sparred with the Brummie boxer Johny Prescott and floored him. 🙂

3. Bill Pearson. February 2, 2014 at 6:20 pm .

No, god the Prescott’s live by me every morning he ran passed my house training.

4. Bill Pearson. February 2, 2014 at 8:19 pm .

Langford he came to us in 1962, I just came out of the army then and married.

4. Badger123 February 2, 2014 at 5:22 pm . Reply

Great article and just goes to show how things have changed.
    RIP Tony

5. GIDDYVILLAN February 2, 2014 at 5:28 pm . Reply

Great post orilonlion,RIP TONY

6. Terry Jones February 2, 2014 at 8:23 pm . Reply

Another one of our greats gone but will never be forgotten R I P Tony.

7. Keith Reilly February 3, 2014 at 11:27 pm . Reply

Well I hope his relatives do not read this “tribute”……can’t even praise a giant without stupid swearing…and at your ag as well.