Tomorrow’s game a waste of time? I don’t think so

I’ve been reading around and it seems that many fans see tomorrow’s game as pretty pointless.
It’s a viewpoint I pretty much agreed with until I read that a win could be worth an extra £3.6 million to the club;

That’s serious money, something the cynic in me says could cover the transfer fees of two or three players.
Or more seriously perhaps, a fair percentage of one player, which I’m sure we’d all prefer.

It just goes to show how important the television money is to the game these days and also sadly illustrates how the actual attendance of fans is becoming less important.

While of course players shouldn’t really need an incentive to win any game, we all know that teams switch off at the end of the season (an Albion supporting friend of mine said WBA did just that the other night).

I reckon Mr Lerner could do worse than to offer the squad a nice fat win bonus tomorrow. A totally obscene idea really, but think about it.
Say a million quid for the squad and £2.6 million to the club/Randy’s back pocket.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. GIDDYVILLAN May 10, 2014 at 7:33 pm . Reply

Agreed belcs you must of red my mind mate.

1. Bill Pearson. May 10, 2014 at 9:19 pm . Reply

Now own up , how many on here have now seen the light, twelve months ago I was one that was saying Lambert don’t know what he’s doing many more said like Oohah and sneaky Terry he’s a prize twat, its now pretty obvious we are all in the same street, maybe one or two won’t agree he’s had his day. So tomorrow is hopefully D Day for us passionate fans, Ether they go or trouble for the club future. I don’t want to give up 60 years of passion the club owes me loyalty over them years, you younger guys have not seen the good times, tonight I was looking at the Villa team in 1900 winning honours way before my time please let’s get my Villa back to them glory days.

2. Colonius81 May 11, 2014 at 12:51 am . Reply

meh i think we are all tired of the Pro Lambert anti lambert debate at this stage, I understand the frustration, I have been pro Lambert all along. not that he is perfect or the best coach in the world but i believed he had a chance to succeed at Villa.
    I think considering Lerner is now stating his target was survival and his budget and resources were made to measure, it still perplexes me why so many are resentful of Lamberts reign. I agree no where near what i want villa to be etc but considering the wages, and transfer money on offer as well the agenda to cut out the big earners .. on the back of the worst football under mcleish we are no worse off, and significantly better off in terms of costs.

Now that said, i hear every complaint of rubbish football and ambition! If someone had said to me when Lambert took over that his remit would be to cut costs, stay in the league and prepare for a sale .. I would not have been happy. I was just hoping that he had the backing of Lerner and was learning from the mistakes and attempting something different with the youth approach.
    Personally i think Lambert had a bigger probably “what if” type scenario when he took over. I think Lerner said he get me this far and this position and I may give you some serious backing.
    I don’t think Lerner was selling at that point. I think it was the start of this season or sometime after that, where Lerner decided to call it.

when i think back to February or so, i remember us looking good for 10th and on course to improve points and position for 2 seasons in row. but then injuries and

anyways, academical now. I just hope to f*** whatever happens its a step towards bigger investment and a better behind the scenes set up. that is the least of my hopes.
    My obvious wish is for someone to come in and throw serious money at us while pulling some top football figures to man the academy. scouting, recruitment and football direction.
    If new ownership does come in, then its probably for the best that Lambert moves on.
    but unlike a lot of people here, I think he done his job for Villa, I think he has paid the price in his career for taking the Villa job to the chorus of fans singing his name.
    I don’t think he deserves the hatred on here, I think he is being scapegoated a little.
    You can’t state that lerner is the problem and he is not funding villa while at the same time blaming Lambert for not being more successful.
    I know the argument is the rubbish football we played etc etc.. yes it was rubbish for long spells! but what manager has delivered the kind of football with the resources Lambert had?
    i can only think of one, Wigan, we tried to get martinez and he said no.
    You could say Swansea, but Swansea didnt’ have the massive wage bill to move on
    Southampton? again didn’t have to deal with cost cutting measures. nor were their owners trying to sell after throwing a quarter for a billion at it and failed.

It just hasn’t been done in the premiership. (wigan aside,) in that regard i don’t understand the vitriol. I understand it more towards Lerner to be honest. he is the gatekeeper.

anyway fellow Villans! lets just hope we have an exciting summer of new possibilities and some serious investment!

please please please footballing gods .. 4 years is long enough, 30 years is far too long!

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath May 11, 2014 at 12:58 am . Reply

Fair enough but he has only matched mcleish at best who also had the same remit and also played boring football. Yet we hounded mcleish out and laid if lambert for 2 seasons on the basis of ABM!! He has had terrific support fri the fans and wev been extremely patient with him considering the shit that’s been served. Lambert last year at least played decent football you look at the utd at home game and for 70 mins we tore them apart, Liverpool away etc. It was easier to bear the losses when we played good football so why has he gone to playing anti football this season with the same set of players?

3. Colonius81 May 11, 2014 at 12:59 am . Reply

Random fanciful side thought…. jack rodwell if he was available which i think he may be this summer, he didn’t get a sniff under pellegrini, would we want him? just forgetting the ownership/sale talk for a moment

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath May 11, 2014 at 1:27 am . Reply

Not sure tbh I can’t ever remember seeing him play so can’t say. What position is he

2. Andrew May 11, 2014 at 4:00 am . Reply

He’s been injured a lot I believe. I doubt he’ll come though, but it really does all depend on the manager. If we unfortunately get someone like Moyes, I do think so.

He’s a CM/DM I believe. Don’t think he’s an AM.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath May 11, 2014 at 7:22 am . Reply

Hope we don’t get moyes may as well keep lamberk

1. Vaze May 11, 2014 at 9:53 am . Reply

He built a club on scraps and finished above us each season that MON had almost unlimited spending.

Don’t let the debacle at Man U cloud your judgement.

He is still a class act, not sure anyone would have managed much with a mostly Van Persie-less Man U this season.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath May 11, 2014 at 11:47 am .

Disagree every Scottish manager Wev had has been a joke. Like you say if we get moyes he can build clubs from scraps so basically it sends out a message that we will still be spending fuck all

2. Andrew May 11, 2014 at 12:27 pm .

Moyes largely changed the mentality at United from an attacking, pressing wing play team to a defensive-minded, lack of attacking team. That team knew how to play 1 way, and I wouldn’t blame him for what happened over the summer, other than the large price for Fellaini, but then again he tried putting Mata on the wings. I personally wouldn’t want him, especially after the United debacle, looked a broken man, wasn’t classy and blamed the players, but he’s tactically crap.

4. Vaze May 11, 2014 at 9:51 am . Reply

Just a thought, but today isn’t meaningless for those of us going.

Admittedly, I thought that it may well have been a monumental match for the wrong reasons as when we bought Wigan tickets last year, thankfully it’s just another jolly, hopefully seeing three points. I won’t be having a breakdown if Spurs score admittedly.

A catch up with some Spurs mates and a day out to the smoke.

I’ll let the (self-proclaimed) passionate fans talk it through on the internet lol !

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath May 11, 2014 at 11:42 am . Reply

It is meaningless who seriously gives a fuck about today’s result. Wld I don’t give a toss

1. Andrew May 11, 2014 at 12:30 pm . Reply

A hell of a lot of fans, especially after 1. what Sherwood’s said about us and 2. Our recent terrible, terrible performances/results against them. They’ve dominated us over the years in terms of results and a win would be huge. It’s really not meaningless at all.

2. Bill Pearson. May 11, 2014 at 12:36 pm . Reply

What’s happened to player’s that was injured, likes of Gardener and co, I’d piss them off along with Abonglahor for what good they’re been, over the last to years we have carried far too many injury prone player’s, I cannot wait for the news of our new owner, David Beckham. 🙂

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath May 11, 2014 at 12:38 pm . Reply