Title contenders; we’re coming for you!

Well, that was absolutely great for me.
With provisos.

I’ve said before that I can see things coming in the way we play our footy.
We try moves going forward, that don’t always work.
But at the same time, defenders knock the ball back, even though they haven’t looked; because they know where the player will be.
Trust me, I totally believe it’s coming and I believe it’s because we’re organised. Something that I haven’t seen in a long, long while.

That said, it was plainly obvious that Preston were struggling at the back, with so many players out.
They just looked incredibly unbalanced as a side, which meant that they were there for the taking.

And we took them; it’s as simple as that.

This was a display rooted on our defence, where Chester and particulary John Terry were outstanding.
Elmohamady and Hutton did very little wrong either, but it’s just that they were out-shadowed by those in the middle.

That said, we looked lively when we did attack and I’d made my mind up that Keinan Davis was the MOTM, way before it was mentioned.
He was simply outstanding in his movement and hold-up play.
He had a couple of very good chances too, where he was unlucky to not score.

I have to be honest though and I do worry about his manner and body language on the pitch.
Maybe it’s the arrogance of youth, but it doesn’t look good to me.

Whatever, he put himself about well and caused Preston a world of grief.
Well done son!

Another truth is that Preston offered nothing and i worry about them.
Not much, but I do.

The opening line on $ky was something like “Villa started the game and Preston won it”
Very, very fitting for me, as a traditionalist.

Preston are a proper club, similar to us.

But that’s enough about them.
We whupped them and are beginning to show our credentials.

I’m not Bruce’s biggest fan.
Indeed, I’m not Terry’s biggest fan either.

But it would seem things are beginning to click.

If you still doubt it, try putting a neutral head on and just look at the results.

Title contenders, we’re coming for you, indeed.
Think about our squad depth. We still have the likes of De Laet to come in, if needed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. DSVilla November 2, 2017 at 5:38 pm . Reply

Nice to get 3 points when I wasn’t expecting it. The commentators were very positive, but I was less convinced. We will need to play better than that, particularly against the top few sides. At some point we will need to beat them in order to get promoted.

2. owen November 2, 2017 at 11:08 pm . Reply

We outplayed Preston on their own patch – had they won they would have been in the top 6. We have only lost to the top 2 Wolves and Cardiff – we could lose to them again and win all our other games and go up. We have beaten plenty of teams in the top half – there are only four teams higher than us in the table so its pretty hard to beat the “top few sides” as actually we are one of the top few sides and there are 19 teams below us so more often than not we will be playing a team who are not a top team and we will be expected to win – which we will.

We are unbeaten at home and have won three of last 5 away . We have beaten good teams and crap teams and we are getting very close to the top 2 – win on Saturday and Cardiff lose we will be just two off automatic. There is a long way to go but fuck me – we have lost one in 12 – have a settled line-up and are the form team in the division – surely we should be a bit more confident now?!

1. originallondonlion November 3, 2017 at 11:01 am . Reply

We have not played the Blades, and we have not beaten the other teams above us. In fact the highest placed team we have beaten is Norwich in 9th place. So posters on here who are still to be convinced Villa are promotion certainties have a lot of ammunition. The fixture list will soon provide us with answers.

1. Andrew November 4, 2017 at 3:33 am . Reply

We’ve actually only beaten 2 of the other top 12 sides in Norwich and Preston.

1. DSVilla November 4, 2017 at 11:52 am . Reply

Facts eh? They can get in the way of the rose tinted glasses brigade.

3. Andrew November 3, 2017 at 12:14 am . Reply

Why do people keep forgetting we lost to Reading?

We are a bit more confident, but we need to keep the performances up. Not have a good game, then bad game, then good game, then bad game. Results are going well but we need to consistently perform to keep the results consistent.

1. nath November 3, 2017 at 7:45 pm . Reply

its that easy innit. i won every game on my ps4. its all about scoring more than the opposition. putting the pigskin in the net thingy… what is hard about that

1. Andrew November 4, 2017 at 3:28 am . Reply

Welcome back again, glad you finally got off your ps4 to comment again.

You’re right for once though, it is about scoring more than the opposition. Unfortunately we’ve only won 7 out of 15 games. If you didn’t know, that’s not even 50%. Which could change against Wednesday of course.

Problem is, we’ve won 2, lost 2 and drawn 2 against top 12 sides. Meaning we have 5 more games in the next 8 (which means we’d be half way through) which means yes, we have to up our game vs United, Leeds, Derby, Ipswich and QPR. Yeah we can play poorly against Sunderland and win, but against them? Unlikely.

4. Paul November 3, 2017 at 7:52 am . Reply

Still a couple of areas that need impoving but far more confident this season.

5. originallondonlion November 3, 2017 at 11:12 am . Reply

Two quotes from Tony Fernandes, the man who blew £200m on QPR.

He made his money with AirAsia and had this line
    “Cheap enough to say Phuket, I’ll go.”

He lost his money with QPR and says
    “I never realised players would take a salary and do nothing.”

Pity he never looked at the recent history of AVFC.

6. nath November 3, 2017 at 7:26 pm . Reply

mckirdy has real potential for another gem forward playing player. he has ability to find space and attack them areas at the right time. he has that same canny ability like platt had to find them areas.

i will have all my wolves gear on tonight shouting for them. come on the dingoes. should be a great game. iam going for twenty nil they are class. should be winning the premier league next year and world cup next. only if they keep that manager from everton lol

badger and even ooohahaha post balanced views on villa. its a shame certain posters feel the need to villa bash constantly. it was about time that badger alluded to this to somebody. its like me posting on bluenoses blog and bashing them. nobody is saying villa are all that. but most are positive for the sake of it.

glad to see positive posters still floating around, we have had a shit time of it lately but we will be back. ste bruce has built a squad that has the ability to get out of this division. that has to be the only immediate goal. we need the tv money.

terry and hutton both had many critics on here but both are playing brilliantly

1. Andrew November 4, 2017 at 3:36 am . Reply

From calling them the foreign whipping boys to buying their kits… You change your mind quite easily.

You’re right though. Terry has been very good and Hutton’s definitely stepped it up at left back.

And it what universe is Oohah balanced? The only thing he’s ever said positive was he likes Davis and Hutton has been our best player the last few games. He’s still as negative as ever.

7. badger123 November 3, 2017 at 7:44 pm . Reply

Davis will get us goals.
    He’s been really unlucky up to now, but they’ll come, imo.

1. nath November 3, 2017 at 7:52 pm . Reply

he is also as strong as a ox leads the line really well. he is the only forward we have to have this ability. hence why i wanted us to get that soton man whos onloan at scum. we have plenty good youth coming through. we have such a bright future. we need to earn the right to reach premiership then. we will reach the goals of all the fans. but its one step at a time championship is a battle.

some posters claim its weak and shit league then the same person is pleasuring himself over wolves. either its shite league or its not lol newcastle and brighton both got promoted its a shit league now. who could have said this i wonder. i bet they wouldnt admitt they said this

1. Andrew November 4, 2017 at 3:30 am . Reply

It is in fact a shit league, it’s just hysterical how wrong you were about them.

1. villaawayindiv3 November 4, 2017 at 10:27 am . Reply

If we have not done well against the top sides then beating all the bottom ones twice seems to get a lot of points…

1. DSVilla November 4, 2017 at 12:04 pm .

It does, but I suspect the other top sides will do that as well. The reason I carp on about our style of play is that I don’t think it is good enough to get in the top 2, even though I am convinced the side/squad has enough talent to do that.

That seems to indicate the play offs. That’s a lottery, and we shouldn’t be in that position.