Stupidly obvious conclusion; it’s the lack of goals.

Well, it might be obvious to most of you, but it didn’t really click with me until I’ve just looked at the full Championship table.

Only three teams, in Rotherham, Wigan and Blues have scored less goals than us, with Burton being equal on 46.

Yet conversely, only four teams have conceded less goals than us.
At least we’re getting one part of our game right, even though some of the defenders get slated.

But that lack of goals is frankly bordering on scandalous, given the money we’ve spent on the squad.
Yes, we were drawing way too many games under Di Matteo, but wasn’t he only here for about fourteen games or so? Meaning things should really have improved?
Of course, Steve Bruce was constrained with the players until the winter window, but I still find near enough a goal a game average in this league decidedly poor.
Yes, you can say McCormack was a disaster signing, but is that enough to justify things?
I don’t believe so and for me, this is the problem we have to overcome if we’re to challenge next season.

Factor in that Kodjia has scored 19 of our 46 goals and the problem becomes even more concerning.

The defenders aren’t adding enough goals, but even worse, the midfield’s contribution is terrible.
Of the players still actually here, Jack Grealish is the second highest scorer on four. Then it’s Chester and Adomah on three apiece.
And most telling of all, there’s not a single other player that has scored more than one paltry goal all season.

Enough of the stats, as they frankly bore me.
But consider this;
Let’s say Kodjia has another decent season next time.
And Bruce pulls a rabbit out of the hat in signing another striker who gets us 20 goals (a big ask).
On this season’s performance that might give us 66 goals.
Which is a pretty fair amount, but not exceptional.
And not enough to guarantee automatic promotion, in my opinion. Five teams have exceeded that total this year, after all.

The fact that we’re doing okay defensively helps the situation, but it’s plainly clear that we need more goals from the side overall.

Hence I’ll say what I’ve already hinted at, in that Steve Bruce has a big problem sorting this in the summer.

Is it tactics?
There are plenty who say it is, but I can recall a fair few games where we had plenty of chances, but couldn’t score.
By the same token there were games where we couldn’t create anything.

So basically I can’t call it either way.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. badger123 April 27, 2017 at 10:16 pm . Reply

Looks pretty clear cut to me;

As for Wigan, yes they could.
    Big ask for blues to lose both and Wigan win both.
    We’re talking footy though, where anything’s possible.
    Plus they do have the best recent form.

1. giddyvillan April 28, 2017 at 8:43 am . Reply

Wigan have a history of being the great escapologists may it continue UTV SOTC

2. Bill Pearson April 28, 2017 at 8:21 am . Reply

Anybody rushing to the bookies yet? Aston Villa have been installed as the early favourites to win the Championship next season.

Sky Bet have priced Villa at 7/1 to win the league next year with Wolves, Norwich City and Derby County all priced at 12/1.

How can they say this with the summer window not open yet. Still its worth a £5 to have a flutter.

1. giddyvillan April 28, 2017 at 8:46 am . Reply

They have yet to include the teams relegated so can’t see us being favourites for promotion for long

3. Rocky1 April 28, 2017 at 11:53 am . Reply

Good to hear that nearly 7000 Villa fans travelling to Blackburn tomorrow including my daughter a couple mates and myself. Early start with 2 coaches going from Bromsgrove Villa Lions at 8.30 am. Who else would take so many fans with nothing to play for. I do believe that we have sold more tickets for this game than Blackburn have. UTV SOTC.

1. Bill Pearson April 28, 2017 at 2:07 pm . Reply

Rock1 have a good day mate, may the force be with you. Puts me back to the days I did that.

1. Rocky1 April 28, 2017 at 3:50 pm . Reply

Thanks Bill I will do my best to have a good day, but then win, draw or lose you cannot beat an away day with the Villa. Having watched them since the late 70’s including Anderlecht and Rotterdam in the final and I am still going strong, I only wish the younger generation of Villa supporters of today will one day experience those Great days, as credit to them they have stuck with the club in their thousands, and not looked for the easier SKY 4 options. UTV

4. badger123 April 28, 2017 at 12:12 pm . Reply

That’s a superb following.
    Fair play to Bruce, he’s always on about it.

5. badger123 April 28, 2017 at 2:29 pm . Reply

Bruce saying he wants up to 4 players of real quality.
    Yep, we’ve already got plenty of squad fillers, so this is what we have to be looking at, imo.
    Of course attracting them is the problem;

6. Bill Pearson April 28, 2017 at 3:19 pm . Reply

Think this time badger players will be more of an opened mind, two decades ago players knew we was going nowhere with the owners we had, i can see money will only be the stumbling block, the club in itself looking for the big time again. I feel better about things now even before it ends.Xia wants the big time.

1. badger123 April 28, 2017 at 4:20 pm . Reply

I don’t believe money will be a problem (within reason), Bill.
      Bruce talking again about Xia’s “incredible” plans for the club;

7. Bill Pearson April 28, 2017 at 4:33 pm . Reply

Thanks, just read that Badger,seems he has a good relationship with players, think your right he will want the best and money won’t stop him hey Rocky bet you’ve at one time seen me doing the rounds, the Rotterdam did you do the coach’s or even Anderlecht game?.

1. Rocky1 April 28, 2017 at 4:44 pm . Reply

Bill we did the train to the semi’s in Belgium as we could not get tickets so ended up in the end where all the trouble was mixed in with home fans, but not involved in that. The final was by coach through the Villa, as there was tighter controls on who went to the final. Great memories and I still get the hears on the back of my neck stand up now when you see the videos. We may have met all those years ago as you always seemed to see the same faces at a lot of away games.

8. Bill Pearson April 28, 2017 at 5:26 pm . Reply

Yes great times Rocky, i lead them trips , on the train i entered every department to warn fans of what to exspect on arriving.and the papers gave Villa fans good reviews for good behaviour. Absolutely wonderful times Rocky.