Blackburn – Villa: Should we win or lose?

Well, this one’s a bit of a dilemma isn’t it?
No doubt you’ll know that if we lose tomorrow, we’ll be knocking a nail in Birmingham City’s coffin and helping them to a very possible relegation.
But at the same time, we know Steve Bruce wants to finish on a high, which is of course, the correct thing to do if we want to maintain momentum ready for next season.

To be honest, I’m not sure any fan should ever wish for their team to lose, but then, the thought of the blues fans crying in their beer really appeals doesn’t it?
I find myself in a bit of a quandary there.

Blackburn do genuinely have a chance here though and it may not even come down to us having to play the kids.
Let’s face it, our away form has been poor and the bad news is that Mile Jedinak has been carrying a groin injury for a while.
Will Bruce really want to risk the player aggravating his niggle for what is really a nothing game?
While it wouldn’t be a massive problem if Jedinak was to worsen the niggle at this stage of the season, I suspect the logical thing is to rest him and give him chance to recuperate quicker.
That said, Bruce is happy that the player knows his own body, so no doubt he’ll be the one who chooses.

The point is we look a worse team without Jedinak and we haven’t looked too clever even when he is in the side lately. The trouble is we don’t have decent backup for him.

Otherwise, the long-term injuries apart, we’re all good.

Which raises the question of which side will Bruce put out?
If the media are to be believed, the manager is struggling to choose between Kodjia and Gabby.
Hah, really? I’m not even going to entertain that thought.
So Kodjia starts, with the aim of getting his 20th goal of the season.
Gabby might get minutes, but that’ll be about it. Things might be different for the Brighton game, which I’m guessing will be Gabby’s swan-song, but I’m getting ahead of myself.

I also think Bruce will stick to pretty much the eleven you’d expect and don’t really see the kids getting much of a look in.
Again, the Brighton game might be better for starting kids, as the atmosphere will be brilliant and it’ll leave them chomping at the bit for next season.

Back to it and I think this has a draw written all over it.
Our lads couldn’t really get fired up for the blues game, so I’m not convinced they’ll be madly up for this one either. Blackburn, on the other hand will surely going all out for the win.

I don’t see many goals either, with much of the weight resting on Kodjia’s shoulders yet again.

It’s got to be 1-1 for me, but whatever, I doubt Blackburn will have enough to beat us.
Mind you, much depends on if Jedinak doesn’t start and Gabby does.

1. Bill Pearson April 30, 2017 at 9:05 pm . Reply

Andrew mate, its something we will find out in time no doubt, I cannot believe a manager would not understand why its going wrong, me I’m still in the days of left and right wing play, even inside forwards ,left half right half, when they put it onto drawing boards they lost me, wing play pulled back out, inside forwards worked the middle, he must know with the staff he has what’s going wrong..I watched that match I just couldn’t believe how bad we was, i need him to explain why, not turn round and make excuses by saying we need 4 top players, I’ve asked for people to give him time, he better wake up by January’s Windows or knives will be out.

2. badger123 April 30, 2017 at 10:37 pm . Reply

I’m itching to write a post about Bruce, but I’m struggling for time, as per usual.
    I’ll try and sort it tomorrow.

3. Bill Pearson May 1, 2017 at 7:30 am . Reply

Think that would make interesting comments Badger, I’m not against him in fact he’s done well to stop the rot, I’m just not able to see why i see silly things going on and he doesn’t , maybe it’s the influence of other’s and he’s at a loss. To be honest I don’t know. we do need to change our attitudes in games and get player’s to work for the club and not be there with a I don’t care attitude.

4. Rocky1 May 2, 2017 at 3:12 pm . Reply

Cannot see Kodja leaving this summer as it has been confirmed he has broken his ankle and will be out until next season. Bad News for us, just hope he is back asap. UTV

5. Hitchens 60 May 2, 2017 at 4:04 pm . Reply

Bummer – injury to Kodjia will affect the start of next season. No Jedinak and no Kodjia on Sunday – the title is there for Brighton to take – probably at a stroll.

6. giddyvillan May 2, 2017 at 5:51 pm . Reply

I’m amazed no one’s come on & blamed Bruce for his injury.

7. badger123 May 2, 2017 at 7:21 pm . Reply

I’m surprised a certain someone hasn’t come on saying what a wimp he is.
    Post coming up later.

8. Fastjet81 May 2, 2017 at 10:00 pm . Reply

Bit left field, but I see John Ruddy is available from Norwich, been out of the team of late/indifferent form, however not long ago he was in England squads. I’d take a punt on him and good age for a goalie. Sam Johnstone doesn’t really fill me with confidence and would prefer a young goalie to get experience and make mistakes elsewhere.

Very lacklustre performance by Villa at the weekend, I’m keen for the Jan signings to get a good pre season under their belt and hopefully we’ll see an improvement in their form.

Just on the comments regarding Huddersfield I feel they’ve earnt the right to rest their players seeing as they’ve secured a play off spot. The EFL set a precedent of a 25 man squad, so in my eyes they’re entitled to tinker as they wish. The clubs in the relegation dog fight can’t really complain as they’re down the bottom as a result of poor performances through the whole campaign.