Speculation; Players in and out

I’m sure most of you know I don’t go a bundle on speculation, as it’s mostly rubbish, but there’s nothing happening unless you want to see lots of pictures of players running about in training.
I’m not into that either, because as some of you might know, my opinion says we looked total junk in the pre-season training I saw at Bodymoor Heath, just before we last won the league.
Come to think of it, that’s what probably makes me so cynical about all this type of stuff; all that matters is how we perform on the pitch and the results we get, come actual match days, in my opinion.

That said, I know some of you love the speculation stuff, so I’ll go with it for once.
Just don’t expect it too often;

First off, as some of you have already discussed, it seems Marseilles might have triggered a release clause for Idrissa Gueye.

Now for some reason, I normally had a very good memory for fees and wages supposedly paid by the Villa, but sadly that’s beginning to fade these days.
I do though have an inkling that we paid around 9 million Euros for the Senegalise, but I remember there was confusion which led to suggestions that it was actually £££’s.
If the fee was indeed in Euros, it’s hardly a loss, as 9 million Euros wasn’t far off £7 million then.

And if the truth be told, I don’t think his leaving will be that big a loss either.
I know. He was actually one of our better players last season. But that’s not saying much, is it?
I just feel that while he performed well at times and his figures look good, he was just too anonymous for too many games.
Then again, I’d be happy if he stays. He’s one of the more gritty players that will be needed this season.

The same article also mentions that Celtic might make another bid for Sinclair, but here’s another link which suggests it’ll be £3 mill, after the previous supposed bid of £2 mill.
Which part of “Villa want £6 mill” doesn’t Rodgers understand?
Of course, there will probably be a compromise and the article seems to suggest that RDM is keen to get rid/cut wages.
Regardless, £3 mill seems somewhat cheap to me, although the winger is rumoured to be on £50k+ a week.
Add it up and it’s a lot of expense for a Championship player, even though I’d suggest he’s a good option and another who could really light up our season in a lesser league than the Prem.
This might be an interesting one, as if RDM does sell him, might it be a clue that the manager doesn’t want to play specifically wide men?

Another player leaving might be Micah Richards, if HITC are correct.
£5 mill for a player who had such a poor season and is on wages of somewhere around £55-60k a week?
I’m sorry to disappoint you, but you’ve got to be kidding me and the Villa just aren’t ever that lucky.
While Sam Allardyce isn’t afraid of pushing the boat out, surely he isn’t going to fall for that one. Is he?

Incoming-wise, the Birmingham Mail suggests we might be in for Bristol City striker Jonathan Kodjia at £6.5 mill.
The article suggests that he might replace Ayew, if he leaves.
And he is French, which might make sense too.
We’ll see, but I’m not convinced, although it also makes perfect sense that RDM will indeed be after another striker, given that he’s signed a new goalie, central defender and a central midfielder.
I like that it seems to suggest he’s thinking “if the side has no bottle, get a new spine”.

Still, I’m not convinced by any of the media rattle, until it starts saying “it’s in the bag”.
It’s the cynic in me.

1. South coast villan July 19, 2016 at 8:09 am . Reply

Does any 1 have any idea why i can reply to some comments but not others? Very strange🤔

1. giddyvillan July 19, 2016 at 9:54 am . Reply

Try rebooting your phone it happens to me sometimes.

1. giddyvillan July 19, 2016 at 9:58 am . Reply

Ps try replying using the mobile site/full site whichever opposite one your presently using hope it helps

1. South coast villan July 19, 2016 at 10:39 am . Reply

Ok thanks mate, I’ll try that!

2. Hitchens 60 July 19, 2016 at 12:02 pm . Reply

Couple of interesting comments from Beijing press conference.

First, RDM is talking about getting back to the PL within 2 years and wants to see a solid first season. This sounds a realistic approach and I’m not expecting us to go straight back up.

Second, he wasn’t sure how many new signings he would make and it would seem from his comments that this will largely depend on who he can retain (eg Ayew) and who of the better players he loses.

1. South coast villan July 19, 2016 at 12:39 pm . Reply

I see what your saying about a solid first season but I just have a good feeling about the club now and feel that we might just get over the line first time of asking👍

2. OriginalLondonLion July 19, 2016 at 6:16 pm . Reply

Xia will have learnt that chucking money at it at the start, unless you can afford to replace the lot, isn’t the way to go. We need to see how the improvements work and the re-assess where the weaknesses still are.

Teams should be built from the back, it is easier. We have keeper and a centre half / captain. I think Amavi if he can stay fit will make a decent attacking left back. In my opinion we have not got another decent centre half, nor a right back. Richards would have to learn to do what he is told and stay in position to fit in either of those roles – I don’t think he is capable of that. Baker is too slow even for the Championship, Clark should have improved by now if he was going to. Hutton – no comment.

The midfield and forwards can’t be judged if they have a leaky defence behind them. See where we are come Xmas, the key stat will be a goals against tally below 1.3 per game.

1. South coast villan July 19, 2016 at 7:50 pm . Reply

Yeah agree about build from the back first I just think it’s just a right back we need tho imo! Think we have enough in the middle.
        I just can’t wait for the 7th now and for the new season to start, it’s my 12th year anniversary that day and I’ve already told the wife I’m down the pub with a mate who’s a Wednesday fan😄

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath July 20, 2016 at 12:16 pm . Reply

Our defence is still looking grim nothing really been done to address problem other than Elphnick. All our centre halves are crap even for championship Clarke Lescott Richards baker are all injury prone or crap or both. I thought Okore was one that would be decent but he’s a liability too probably because of injury

1. South coast villan July 20, 2016 at 5:29 pm . Reply

What about Amavi tho ? And I do think with Elphick leading the back line the likes of Okore and even Baker will be alright next to him. Just a right back for me but hay that’s just my opinion 😃

3. Dave67 July 19, 2016 at 2:07 pm . Reply

I agree a good solid season and I will be happy .RDM said the house has to be knocked down and rebuilt. Lerner left the team in a shambles. If we get promoted that’s a bonus.

4. pat57 July 19, 2016 at 10:38 pm . Reply

Guzan to Middlesbrough on a free?

My God is someone at Villa finally showing some sense?

RDM definitely goes up in my estimation if this is true 🙂

1. badger123 July 20, 2016 at 2:28 am . Reply

I’d like to think he’s worth at least some fee, but if we get him and his wages off the books, it’s hard to disagree.

I still think there’s a decent goalie in there, given a better defence, although he does have major failings in some areas; particularly distribution.

I’m still trying to think of something meaningful to write, fwiw.

1. South coast villan July 20, 2016 at 6:47 am . Reply

I’d let him go on a free in a heart beat
        Great news if true