Smith and Terry it is then; The fans’ choice.

I find it hard work using a phone to browse the internet and even harder to write with, probably because of my ageing eyesight.

I really wish I’d brought my laptop on holiday now.

Never mind, the important thing is that we’ve got our new managerial team in, in Dean Smith as the manager and John Terry as his assistant.

We’ve also hired a new director of football in Jesus Garcia Pitarch, who I know nothing about, yet seems to have a good CV.

At the same time, some interesting things have come out, like the reported £1 million pounds a year contract that Terry is supposed to be on. That’s a big drop and I still wonder why he hasn’t come in as a player too. given our dire defensive situation?

Still, it’s a good sign that he really wants to be at the Villa I guess.

The word is that we’ve paid Brentford £350,000 in compensation.

What I’ve found most interesting though are the club’s comments about Smith, particularly the part that says he has ” a clear and successful coaching philosophy”.

If that’s not a dig at the previous regime, I don’t know what is.

And then there’s Hogan’s comments that he wanted out in the transfer window and Bruce just fed him a line, promising game time that didn’t come.

It would seem from that, that our suspicions were correct and a few players just felt that whatever happened, it was always only the favoured few that were going to play. Hopefully that will change and players get chosen on merit.

John Gregory’s come straight out and said how delighted he is that we’ve got it right this time, in choosing one of our own.

I’m fully behind this appointment, especially as we’ve got Terry in too, who should surely be able to help Smith with the expectation that he’s now going to face.

But typical me these days, I do have concerns that we’ve hired the right bloke at just the wrong time.

I worry about how our defence is going to cost us points until we get more troops in.

Will we generally manage to stay patient if results are poor in the short term?

I think I will and hopefully we all will, after Bruce has left us in such a poor place defensively.

And depending on how quickly we can change our footballing approach, it might not matter so much anyway, if we can start battering teams like we think we ought to.

Which is where my other worries lie.

A lot now comes down to the players starting to look the part. That shouldn’t be a problem though, as I’d expect many of them to be invigorated.

Either way, the pressure’s on already.

Hopefully Dean, you’ll be up to the job and I welcome you with open arms.

Here’s looking forward to some proper footy again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
  1. Bill Pearson October 11, 2018 at 12:15 pm . Reply

R.I.P. Doug Ellis . Has died, may he be long remembered.

1. Ardent Villain October 11, 2018 at 12:44 pm . Reply

Agreed Bill.
      I ‘ve often thought over the years that some Villa fans didn’t appreciate Ellis’ contribution to the club for so long; perhaps now that we’ve seen how other owners run things [and that’s not just at Villa Park] he’ll receive a little more respect.

2. Bum Bum October 11, 2018 at 12:45 pm . Reply

RIP. He’ll be fleecing God out of a few quid if he gets upstairs! A long and prosperous life at 94!

3. Originallondonlion October 11, 2018 at 4:09 pm . Reply

The passing of an era. When owners of a Premier League club could be English and in good standing with HMRC. There aren’t many left.

I did not know him well, but I knew him to talk to and one of his turns of phrase was that certain things would only happen ” over my dead body”. The re-naming of Villa Park was one.

2. Ardent Villain October 11, 2018 at 12:49 pm . Reply

Smith & Terry…

For once I’m optimistic that the club have made a pretty bold choice which might just prove to be brilliant – although as usual there’ll be people expecting an instant miracle.

I hope they’re given time to sort things out, which in the short term means that we stop leaking stupid goals in every game.

Could be the start of a real footballing revolution at the club!

3. Bum Bum October 11, 2018 at 8:09 pm . Reply

Must admit, I hope the ‘fans choice’ works out better than last time. Remember how bad Lambert was!

4. nath October 11, 2018 at 8:44 pm . Reply

sad news about Doug Ellis 🙁 R/I/P)

great news we finally got a new manager, Smith who was the most populat choice, i hold my hands up i didnt think he would come to villa, considering the mess we are in and how well Brentford are doing. he is a guy that will coach the team and that will take time, also compo was really low i didnt expect that 300k i think i heard thats a steal.

hopefully Smith will bring the best out of the good players we have, espically in the midfield and forward areas. his style also protects the defence as his game is based on possession, this season i have been amazed how often we misplaced passes and simple passes at that. cant wait for the first game under smith and many more after it.

5. Holte66 October 11, 2018 at 9:56 pm . Reply

RIP Doug Ellis. I remember how happy I was when he finally relinquished control to Lerner, and thinking finally we can move forward. Sometimes the grass isn’t greener I guess. One thing I would never argue against was his passion for our club, proven when he was sat watching the game from the stands while Lerner was in the good old USA. I think we will have to accept that owners now will never love the club like Doug. Shame he never got to see a Villa fan trying to get the club back to the premier league.

6. Hitchens60 October 11, 2018 at 10:33 pm . Reply

RIP Doug who did many good things for our club for which I honestly thank him but I still find it difficult to accept his inability to recognise those that delivered our greatest success as European Champions.

I apologise if this offends but to say otherwise would be dishonest.