Millwall 2 – 1 Villa; Thoughts about a Henry/Terry combination.

Well, as I suspected, I didn’t get to see the game.
I think I’m probably glad, as it sounds like it was more of the same ponderous stuff with more poor goalkeeping.
Nah, scratch that.
I want to see every game I can, even if we play poorly.
It’s the law isn’t it? although sometimes I do wonder why I put myself through it.

I predicted the score correctly, which makes a change, but it’s disappointing seeing as we’d taken the lead.
About the only encouraging thing is that I’m convinced that if you give Abraham enough chances, he’ll get us loads of goals.

As I said in the preview, seeing as it was pretty much a one-off game, with it probably being KMac’s only game in charge, the result doesn’t particularly bother me.

Future results are a different thing though and it appears the latest news is that the club have interviewed Thierry Henry and John Terry, with a view to getting them both in, as a partnership.
Apparently, Henry has been chosen to lead and Terry will assist.

Just this morning, before I’d heard this story, I was thinking that I would commit myself to being strongly against Henry coming in as our manager. I just think he’d be coming in purely because he’s a big name.
He’d be a massive gamble; an all or nothing bet, that I really don’t think our owners would go with, as much as they might want it.

But couple him with Terry and I can see how this might be a much better bet.
Terry has played in the championship and knows what it’s about.
Equally important is that we need defenders and he could still do a job for us at this level, assuming he’d be player/assistant manager.

I’m very dubious about the whole story and it seems to me to just be a sort of ideal setup, that’s a bit too good to be true.
But it would definitely explain why both Henry and particularly Terry haven’t moved on to other things yet.

I think this link-up covers all the bases, for all parties.
Henry wants to step up.
Terry gets some experience of coaching/ managing at a higher level.
Sawaris gets his man.
And I think fans generally would go with it.

I’ve read comments on here doubting Henry and Terry’s relationship.
I’d suggest that yes, there may have been some serious rivalry between them when they were players at the same time.
But when you move up to a more senior role it all goes out of the window.
It’s a totally different role, where it’s in both their interests to pull together.
I wouldn’t have any worries about that side of things.

Hence, I could live with this combination managing our club and would fully support it.

Although my preference is still for a good foreign manager who knows very little about us, who can look at the club from top to bottom with an independent view.
I’d be looking very closely at why KMac has been in charge of the youth for so long, for a start, even if they did have a blinder on Friday night.
How long has he been in charge?, seeing as a year is a long time in football, these days?
It’s not a criticism of him.
But if many were willing to call Bruce a dinosaur, what does that make KMac?
Especially if you consider many thought he was paying a tribute to Bruce yesterday, with him changing nothing in the one chance he had.

I really don’t know. I’m just putting that thought out there for debate.

1. Adam October 10, 2018 at 8:32 pm .

Bit of an out the box suggestion during this merry-go-round but i would happily accept the Cowley brothers currently at Lincoln. Think they arrme destined for bigger snd better things and deserve an opportunity somewhere bigger than Lincoln.

2. Sidforever October 10, 2018 at 10:10 pm .

It’s Smith and Terry. I am delightedly. UTV

3. Adam October 10, 2018 at 10:18 pm .

Fantastic news! That sounds like a brilliant pairing to me. Well done the board. I kind of feel all this Henry etc talk was as mentioned just media speculation. Meanwhile this whole time we have had one person in mind or two and thats dean smith and Terry. Happy days this should get the crowd rocking next game. This feels so good!! It feels right and exciting and i’ve not felt that since O’neill. Fingers crossed!!

1. Hitchens60 October 10, 2018 at 11:09 pm .

Agreed Adam. There is no evidence to say that Henry was ever offered the job so to say he ‘snubbed’ Villa for Monaco ( suggesting he’d been offered the Monaco job) is stretching credibility given that latest reports suggest he’s only on the short list.

Anyway he’s history; looking forward to seeing if Smith / Terry can get the best out of our squad. Also think the Sporting Director appointment looks a strong one given his recent roles with Valencia and Athletico Madrid.

Do you think he’ll have a hot line to god!

4. Bill Pearson October 10, 2018 at 10:23 pm .

Yes just came over on my phone Villa are delighted in the appointment of Dean Smith.

1. Bum Bum October 11, 2018 at 9:30 am .

Did you just say on hearing the news, you’ve come on your phone? I know it’s exciting news Bill, but calm down!!! 😉

5. Holte66 October 10, 2018 at 11:35 pm .

Very happy with the appointment. I wanted Dean Smith at the beginning and getting JT as is assistant is a bonus. Let’s all get behind them and give them time to sort things out. We will have to wait till January before we can truly fix our leaky defence. Hopefully we can stay within touching distance of top 6 till then.

1. Big Fat Ron October 10, 2018 at 11:48 pm .

Exactly, Holte!

6. Big Fat Ron October 10, 2018 at 11:39 pm .

I particularly like Purslow’s reasoning for the appointments. It appears that heads are screwed on properly. Well done to all concerned. Now it’s over to messrs Smith and Terry to make things happen. I’m quietly confident that they will.

To the more excitable among us, please give them time and don’t freak out whenever we lose a game! We will lose games. We just need to win enough to sneak that second spot, which is still possible if the new management can get a good start…

UTV

1. Big Fat Ron October 10, 2018 at 11:40 pm .

P.s. we’ve dodged a bullet in Henry not coming, for whatever reason.

7. Bill Pearson October 11, 2018 at 7:18 am .

It’s ironic that in the past our paths have crossed, he was a seat cleaner at the ground and his dad was one of my stewards, do I remember him ? no, still that was in 81. I’m happy we have one of our own.good luck Dean.

8. Pat 57 October 11, 2018 at 7:19 am .

Definitely the dream team for me.
    Honestly never thought that Smith was seriously in the picture, so much for the paper talk.

So now it looks like we’ve got two Villans in charge let’s see what they can do. Let’s give them some time though.

Excited doesn’t cover it!

9. Bum Bum October 11, 2018 at 8:04 am .

So we got our man/men!!!!

10. DSVilla October 11, 2018 at 8:56 am .

Well it’s sorted. I must admit I thought the club would go for someone more exotic. That’s not me complaining BTW. I’m looking forward to a more positive style from the players. If we can tighten up at the back we should be in shape for a proper promotion push for the rest of the season. UTV.