Norwich 1 – 0 Villa; A self inflicted result?

While I was never wholly confident about beating Norwich, I did find myself thinking along the same lines as Oohah, in that Norwich had only won one in seven games and maybe we might not be the victims of a team on a terrible run for once.
But it wasn’t to be today.
Which would be fine with me, if we were just outplayed by a better side.
Well, we actually were to some extent, because I feel Steve Bruce shot us in the foot with his starting line-up.

I’m now utterly convinced Gabby should be nowhere near the starting line-up.
Okay, our midfield creates nothing, but in a situation like that, you need a forward who tries to do something and looks to get involved more. And let’s face it Gabby doesn’t have a footballing brain, does he? You need to give him good chances where he can actually try and get a strike off (and even those days are gone).
So as much as I don’t rate McCormack from what I’ve seen for us, he should have started before Gabby. At least he thinks about the game and is just a much cleverer player all round.

But Gabby wasn’t alone in being poor. Our midfield is just horrendous, in that it’s totally non-productive. You only have to look at how many goals the midfield scores to see that. Westwood, oh god, just don’t start me. If we don’t get a replacement for him, that’ll be the first sign of my respect for Bruce waning. If I didn’t know any different I’d have sworn that he wasn’t playing at all.

Why drop Adomah? I just don’t get it.
He can come inside and create and I think he helps Hutton tremendously.

Elphick? I can only ask when is Baker back?
Another defender needed too, while you’re at it SB.

Much has been said about Ayew having to go the African Nations, but will he actually be missed? Not in his current form, I’d suggest.

So now, it seems the honeymoon period is coming to an end and the new manager effect might be wearing off.
Let’s face it, we haven’t played well for a few games now and as I suggested last time out, we have serious concerns that we aren’t scoring enough.
It’s why I blame the midfield.

Oh well. While of course we don’t have the right to expect to win any game, I still feel that that is another three points we should have had.

QPR away next and I have to say I’m not feeling the confidence I have been of late, at the moment.

jvillan December 18, 2016 at 1:57 pm .

bruce hangs on but but with team selections and subs its non football

OohAhPaulMcGrath December 18, 2016 at 2:03 pm .

That’s the idea we saw the game out well to be fair

GIDDYVILLAN December 18, 2016 at 1:57 pm .

That’ll do UTV

GIDDYVILLAN December 18, 2016 at 1:58 pm .

Ps fuck you Holloway

pat57 December 18, 2016 at 1:57 pm .

Yes a win on the telly at last!!!!

Hitchens 60 December 18, 2016 at 2:01 pm .

A lot better and Baker stand out performance in defence.

Adam December 18, 2016 at 2:02 pm .

Baker was awesome today, most improved player from last few years.

OohAhPaulMcGrath December 18, 2016 at 2:03 pm .

Baker and Chester together are the best defensive partnership we’ve had since Southgate and eughiou

Tekkers48 December 18, 2016 at 2:06 pm .

I agree with you there Ooh Ahh. To be fair the back 4 were pretty good today. Midfield is our weakness and has been all season.

OohAhPaulMcGrath December 18, 2016 at 2:34 pm .

Agree if Brice can make a couple of good deals on Jan for midfielders we will def finish top 6.

Tekkers48 December 18, 2016 at 2:05 pm .

I could live with performances like that away from home if the points tally starts clocking up. But we are fucked if we are to rely on gabby and McCormack for goals in January. A short term contract offer for Robbie Keane could be called for.

OohAhPaulMcGrath December 18, 2016 at 2:35 pm .

Maybe we can play a different formation fir Mcormack he’s a proven goal scorer at this level and you don’t become crap overnight. Giving him a run in the team may help him. Same as with Gestede

South coast villan December 18, 2016 at 2:08 pm .

We played a lot better second half and pleased with the 3 points today but Bruce has got to stop playing gabby now!! It’s beyond a joke

OohAhPaulMcGrath December 18, 2016 at 2:33 pm .

He’s playing Gabby to get him fit for Jan when Kodja goes he’s got no choice as we won’t have a replacement striker

pat57 December 18, 2016 at 2:12 pm .

All in all two mid-table clubs and it looked it. We were just that bit better and a ref with 20/20 vision would have helped.

Defensively much better I thought. Bunn at the back did everything that was asked of him (especially liked his speed at turning a certain corner into a throw in the first half) and a great save towards the end. Chester and Baker solid at the back, our best pairing without a doubt. Amavi was good and Jedinak got more into the game as it went on. However right side with Hutton a problem as always.

Mid-field still an obvious problem but so is attack in my opinion. Kodjia will always give you something and Adomah was great again but I thought that we needed someone a bit more direct. Hernandez would be great in the centre if he does come in the window.

So Santa please send us a goalie, a RB and a decent creative mid-fielder (love to have someone that Grealish could play with and learn from) as well as Abel Hernandez.

Merry Christmas and UTV!