Newcastle – Villa:

Here we go again then and it’s another game on a stupid Monday night in front of the Sky cameras.
Seeing how we’ve gone around fourteen live games without a single win, that’s a bad omen in itself, but all runs have to come to an end don’t they?
Hmm.

As much as I try to retain any optimism (as much as some others think I don’t), I think this particular match couldn’t have come at a worse time. More so when you consider we’ve played “lesser” teams at home and lost.
We’ve played Brighton away, so this is probably the toughest fixture we have left this season…

I’m sorry. As much as I try to look on the bright side and recall that Blues and Wolves have turned Newcastle over on their own turf, combined with the fact that the Barcodes have the second worst record for individual errors (after us), so I think I’m clutching at straws.

The truth is I don’t think we’ve got a hope in hell of taking anything away tonight, as much as it might leave me open to abuse.
Let’s face it, we’ve won two away games all season haven’t we?
So why should we expect to get anything from this one, in front of a big crowd that are constantly being wound up by Mick Quinn and a media trying to create a rivalry that really isn’t there?

I was supposed to be doing a Q&A with a Newcastle blog, mainly to see what their thoughts were on that latter point, but sadly I’ve just been too busy and it didn’t happen. I’m pretty sure they’d have agreed there isn’t really a problem between the two sets of fans, but I digress.

So what’s been going on recently then?
Bruce says he had a message from Xia saying his job’s safe.
Xia has got the hump over some site saying he’s gambling with the Villa re; parachute money.
Players have been coming out and saying it’s not been good enough and we’ll be better.
And we’re already being linked with players for the summer.

Yawn.
None of it’s of any consequence and all that matters is we start putting points on the board.

So what do we know about the game?

Both our new full backs, Taylor and Bree are doubtful, but the good news is Mile Jedinak might be back after a groin injury. And how we could do with him being fit. It’s been no co-incidence that we’ve looked worse at the back without him, in my opinion.
There have been calls for Sam Johnstone to be dropped and while I’m not sure what it would do for his confidence, so it might be better to get him out of the spotlight. Frankly, he’s been poor for us, hasn’t he?

Bruce has talked about putting Kodjia back on the left, as he thinks he’ll be more dangerous there and that’s something I think the manager will definitely do.
Will Grealish get the spot in the hole? Possibly, but I’d be tempted to save him for later as he sums up the team, in not being a 90 minute player.
Otherwise, the rest of the team pretty much picks itself and whatever eleven starts, it probably won’t be far off what we think is our best eleven on paper.

As for Newcastle, they might have Dwight Gayle back. Great and that’s all we need.

I can actually see us getting a goal tonight, as Newcastle won’t feel any need to sit back against us, which might see us get opportunities, but we’re struggling to convert chances.

Newcastle, on the other hand will also create and with our defence conceding from pretty much any mistake, it doesn’t bode well.

I’m going to go for a 3-1 loss then and it’s more about the performance, I feel.

The last time we beat Newcastle away was the infamous punch up game which we won 3-0 and I attended.
How I’d love to see a similar result tonight.

1. Bill Pearson
    Bill Pearson February 20, 2017 at 12:35 pm .

Just thinking Badger, when was the last time you wrote an article that made us feel better?, we’ll be on here tonight and tomorrow spilling out our sorrows, I know Newcastle will have done their home work and boy are they going to play their socks off.score? Could be anything from 3,4,5, nil and I’m a Villa fan that’s being honest. I live in a village that was a coal mine industry years ago they brought in Newcastle workers down here, every bloody second house are Newcastle fans. Im turning the phone off and locking the doors. Utv.

2. Saddened
    Saddened February 20, 2017 at 12:45 pm .

The bad luck has to end sometime (I hope) it could well be tonight, no pressure, little expectation……. hmmm I seeing us getting a draw !!

3. bws
    bws February 20, 2017 at 1:22 pm .

I see this going one of two ways (a) we’ll pull off a shock result 2-0 or so or
    (b) we’ll capitulate and be on the end of a 4-0 or so drubbing.
    (Fingers crossed it’s the former)

1. Saddened
      Saddened February 20, 2017 at 1:24 pm .

Heart goes (a), head goes (b)

4. Dave67
    Dave67 February 20, 2017 at 1:48 pm .

This bad run needs to stop , I will be praying like the rest of use for a result tonight. Our players need to stand up and be counted, hit them hard no more tackling like a pussy, fight for the colours.
    I just hope Villa surprise us tonight with a shock win. COME ON THE VILLA.

5. Hitchens 60
    Hitchens 60 February 20, 2017 at 2:28 pm .

Yippee – I’ve been let out by the white coated men so I can watch the game – wait a minute – LET ME BACK IN (knocking feverishly at barred door) 🙂 Villa to win and keep a clean sheet (more maniacal laughter)

6. Bill Pearson
    Bill Pearson February 20, 2017 at 2:36 pm .

There coming to take me away he he, Oh look there’s a flying pig, I’m ripping up paper and blowing in the air. The Villa driving me bonkers. Hitch you know what I believe you my friend.

1. Hitchens 60
      Hitchens 60 February 20, 2017 at 2:51 pm .

Bill – Shankley may have said football was more important than life or death but he was wrong. I’m not going to let the failure of AVFC spoil my slide into alcoholic dependency!

1. Hitchens 60
        Hitchens 60 February 20, 2017 at 2:52 pm .

🙂 🙂

7. jvillan
    jvillan February 20, 2017 at 3:29 pm .

think we beat qpr before xmas live but that was just a blip in our run ,kodja even missed a pen, and as long as its not our players throwing punches tonight , ours will miss

8. B6
    B6 February 20, 2017 at 3:45 pm .

How many on here would swap for the same position we are in know for the one we were in last season at this time?

So much has gone on and writing a post where you’re saying you can’t find any positives beggers belief.

There’s been enough positives off the pitch this season to start believing it’s going to rub off onto the pitch and results are going to pick up.

Some expect an instant upturn in fortunes but it doesn’t and hasn’t worked like that.

I’m positive, I believe we have the right management in place, the right owner, the right CEO and the right board. I also believe with maybe 3 additions in the summer we’ll have the right balance within the squad to win this division.

We’ll win tonight but for some it still won’t be enough. We’ve made Newcastle’s lives miserable on a couple of occasions…..we’ll make them miserable tonight too.

Newcastle 1 Villa 3.