Moraes signed: Shows the press are just guessing

Cutting a bit of a story short, I’m currently sunning my bony butt in Crete for three nights (the equivalent of a booze cruise, only it’s for cigarettes. The money you can save is mad).
Well, I will be tomorrow, as I’ve only just arrived, hence me being a bit late in knowing that Wesley Moraes has actually signed for us

£22 million apparently and that’s a massive sign of intent.
I can’t say I know anything about him, but he sounds decent, having scored 17 goals with numerous assists last season in the Belgian league.
Which is just about what the press know too, as he wasn’t anywhere near on the radar.
It all backs up my previous point about them not having a clue and just guessing, in the hope that if they aim enough darts, one will hit the target.

Anyway, the point is that it proves we are going to spend serious money on certain positions.
And it seems to me that if you take the attempt to sign Butland, coupled with a decent defensive midfielder speculation to be true, we’re looking to add to the backbone of a side.
Which makes extremely good sense.

I think signing Wesley means Tammy Abraham will not be coming back.
Dean Smith prefers one up front and there’s no way I can see Abraham playing second fiddle to another striker.
Much more likely that we’ll sign an older, proven Prem striker as backup, in my opinion; the likes of Gayle.
With Kodjia and Davies in reserve, I’d suggest that’s about as good as it could get, given that we aren’t going to be spending supid amounts of money.

Something else that crosses my mind is that we haven’t spent this money on a gamble and someone has been watching Moraes very, very, closely
You can bet your boots that we have at least another two unknown signings of a similar standard in the spotlight and again, the press won’t have a clue.

This signing has massively encouraged me, as, as I’ve hinted, I think we’d do well to survive with the current squad.
Add some more quality and we’ll have a very good chance of survival.

A final thought is that surely Hogan will be sold, seeing as he has no chance of getting the 40 games he wants?
That one just didn’t work out did it?

Here’s looking forward to the new season.
UTV

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Sidforever June 17, 2019 at 5:38 pm .

I am glad Hause has signed. I liked what I saw of him. I know we would like Mings and there is now a rumour about us going after a Huddersfield defender. I assume either we are stocking up due to limited number of defenders or Chester’s players injury may be worse than previously thought.

Holte66 June 18, 2019 at 9:57 am .

I disagree that Steer isn’t good enough for premier league. When Nyland and Kalinic were injured and Steer became No. 1 keeper, our form picked up and errors were omitted. Mings signing also made a big difference of course. We wouldn’t be as keen on Butland if he wasn’t British IMO. I think he is overrated and way overpriced. Etheridge for a lower fee would be a better option but even so we would probably need to offload Nyland AND Kalinic if we sign him because neither would accept 3rd choice. I’m surprised that there is criticism of Steer when just over a month ago everyone was praising him. What’s changed since then?

Hitchens60 June 18, 2019 at 11:28 am .

Are we criticising Steer? I think the debate is around whether he can step up to the Premier League. I agree completely that he is better than both Kalinic and Nyland – poor buys imho.

So the other side of the debate is would Etheridge or Butland improve us and are they value for money?

With the transfer window closing before the start of the season we can’t afford to wait and see!

Holte66 June 18, 2019 at 1:35 pm .

Maybe criticism can be interpreted in different ways. There seems to be a feeling on this site that he isn’t good enough for premier league. However, that argument could be applied to nearly all of our current squad who haven’t played premier league football. Should Smith sign more proven premier league players? Or trust in players abilities and capability to make the step up. Personally I think there needs to be a few additions to compensate for losing the likes of Whelan, Hutton and Jedinak. Keeping Terry will be valuable for his influence although I’m feeling the worst if Lampard goes to Chelsea.

Bill Pearson June 18, 2019 at 2:25 pm .

My post went into the wrong position, it should’ve followed Badgers about strengths as goalkeeper. Steer done no wrong.

Pat 57 June 18, 2019 at 11:26 pm .

The Mail – “Xavier Calm, a little-known Spanish coach whose last job was in charge of Spanish third-tier side UE Cornella, is the betting favourite to replace ex-Birmingham manager Garry Monk, who was sacked on Tuesday.”

Wow, I’ll bet that all the noses are happy about that. For the record there is a club based at Cornella, a suburb of Barcelona, and they’re called Espanyol. Historically they’ve been very much the Birmingham City to Barcelona’s Aston Villa.

However, UE Cornella isn’t even up to Espanyol’s standards being in the equivalent of our second division. They hold their games at the Nou Camp, no not that one, this one only holds 1,500.

Talk about scraping the barrel.