Leicester – Villa; Hooray, the proper footy’s back!

I’m writing this early on Friday morning, mostly because I’m itching for the proper games to come back after the utterly pointless England games that I have no interest in whatsoever.
It’s probably a bit unfair of me to say that, as I’m sure many do care about England, but it’s just that I feel we’re wasting our time. I doubt even the most one-eyed England fan feels we have the slightest chance of winning any competition.
To be fair, you could probably say that about the Villa, but well, that’s different isn’t it?

There’s also a second reason I wanted to write this so early, as I want to say how much I think there is no way on earth we will sign any significant player before the transfer window closes at 5pm, as much as the usual clickbait sites are suggesting otherwise.

Which leads me to Birmingham Live, or the good old Birmingham Mail, as most people still know it.
What happened to this paper?
While it was never known for it’s accuracy on all things Aston Villa, it was by far the most respected source for news and certainly my “goto” place if I wanted to hear reliable rumours. To be honest, apart from the national papers, there wasn’t anywhere else to look, possibly the Argus apart, but while the Mail didn’t really have any inside track, it did seem that there was a healthy respect between the paper and the club, where the reporters wouldn’t write anything fabricated or outrageous and the club wouldn’t mislead the reporters.

Whereas all it does now is constantly regurgitate all the rubbish that is posted by the usual clickbaiters.
Which in turn makes it look more and more silly, because it’s now the central point for all the stories that invariably prove miles off the mark.
The Benrahma saga is a point in hand. If we were going to sign him, we’d have done it weeks ago. Yet, I can hardly recall a day for weeks where Birmingham Live hasn’t pushed this story, via one source or another.
And all it does, is make the site look more and more unreliable, to the extent where I don’t bother to look past the headlines half of the time, as I just know it’ll be recycled rubbish.
The paper/site has it’s own reporters and while I use the term loosely and the videos etc are not my sort of thing, I feel they should be left to do what they do without perpetuating the clickbait stuff.

So that’s two of my big moans out of the way, but I still have another one.
What’s this stupid 7.15pm on a Sunday kickoff time about?
There’s something just wrong with that, but to be fair, there’s never anything on telly on a Sunday night anyway,is there?
Then again, I’m probably showing my age there, as with all this streaming, Tv schedules don’t really matter nowadays do they?
Except they do for me. Streaming’s nice, but it doesn’t cut it.
Perhaps it’s the regularity and routine of TV schedules that I like?
And perhaps that’s why I dislike these daft kickoff times so much?

Heh, I guess I’d better get on to the proper stuff, which is the game.

Both teams have got off to a great start, having taken 9 points, with Leicester sitting third after 4 games, whereas we sit second after only 3 games.
Shock, horror, I think it’s fair to say that our league position is probably a bit distorted, but I don’t think this is a game that Leicester will be relishing, as we do beat them occasionally. A certain League cup victory quite recently comes to mind.
Then again, the last time we played this fixture, in March of this year, we were on the receiving end of a 4-0 drubbing, although I don’t think we’ll be anywhere near that scoreline this time.

It’s a bit early for squad news and I think that apart from the usuals, we’re all good.

As for Leicester, Caglar Soyuncu was left out of Turkey’s squad in midweek, with the manager reporting that he had a hamstring problem.
That could lead to them giving Wesley Fofana his debut.
I haven’t heard anything else.

What’s the prediction then?
I haven’t got a clue.
I predict goals, 3 or more, but which way, I don’t know.
It’s too early into the season for me to have seen any patterns and having played two of the weakest sides in the league has probably put us in a false position. That said, there was no fluke in caning the world champions, was there?
I’m sure you get my point though and everything is just a pure guess.
If you’re going to push me, I’m going for a 2-1 defeat, I’m afraid.

But how good would it be if it was the other way round?

The game will be available via Sky’s PPV rip-off, but I won’t be having any of that.
Hopefully there will be other possibilities.

badger123 October 16, 2020 at 1:07 pm . Reply

I’d love a win to keep the confidence going, but think it’s a big ask.
    Mind you, home and away doesn’t seem to mean much lately, so you never know.

Hitchens60 October 16, 2020 at 1:31 pm . Reply

It’s said that you can only beat the team in front of you – and we did spectacularly – except in this case it was one of the best teams in Europe

But ‘Lawro’ has written us off without hardly a mention or recognition of how well we played – I guess he was suffering with gritted teeth at the time 🙂 He thinks our world will come ‘crashing down’ with a 2-0 win to Leicester.
      He may be right on the result but it will hardly result in Villa’s world crashing – we’re more firmly grounded than that.

I’m going to be a little more optimistic and go for a draw – but not going to predict the actual score.

VillaAway in div3 October 16, 2020 at 2:49 pm . Reply

If all else fails I hope I can get
      Villa matches on WM…not t on the digi format.

Guest October 16, 2020 at 3:37 pm . Reply

I think they’ve got a couple of injuries so I’m confident we can get something there.

Bum Bum October 16, 2020 at 4:06 pm . Reply

2-2 for me lads!

Adam October 16, 2020 at 4:23 pm . Reply

I dont think there is a much better time to be playing Leicester this season imo. They are without Ndidi and Pereira, Chillwell has gone and potentially they are without Vardy, Praet, Evans and Soyuncu. With those names all out they are very beatable and with Grealish, Barkley, Mcginn, Luiz, Watkins just to name a few all high in confidence right now i think we can get 3 points here. Oh it will be a tough, tight game still, but we could nick the points and go top of the league on goal difference. As long as we dont get beat badly like 4-0 again i dont think even a defeat would knock the confidence of these boys. I really think we can and will have a good season and comfortably stay out of trouble.

Ardent Villain October 16, 2020 at 5:14 pm . Reply

Agree with that comment. If Vardy’s really going to miss this game then we have a good chance to beat them.

I just hope that the Liverpool game hasn’t gone to the players’ heads and they think that all they have to do is walk out onto the pitch to collect 3 points!

Sidforever October 17, 2020 at 12:14 am . Reply

I can’t wait for this match. I’m probably wearing rose tinted glasses but I’m going for a Villa win. I was so impressed last time out with our midfield. There are plenty of goals to come from them and Ollie Watkins looks class.

2-1 to Villa

Bill Pearson.. October 16, 2020 at 4:52 pm . Reply

Banarahma fails his medical, wonder why .

Bill Pearson.. October 16, 2020 at 4:54 pm . Reply

Banarhma faild his medical wonder why .

Ardent Villain October 16, 2020 at 5:17 pm . Reply

Seems like there have been several ‘problems’ with this transfer all week: first was the story that Moyes didn’t really want the player (he supposedly wanted to spend the money on a defender); then there were suppoosed to be ‘issues’ regarding personal terms, and now we have this mysterious medical.

Even if it’s finally gone through, it doesn’t feel like a marriage made in heaven!

Bill Pearson.. October 16, 2020 at 7:43 pm . Reply

Badger spot on again, we’re not getting anyone else that Birmingham mail reporter should join the millions on the dole, whenever have they been right on sport ,if you ask me they’re sitting in office looking at websites and reading other papers, twelve months ago I tried to use their site and it’s virtually impossible with the amount of advertisement on the site. Another Saturday without Villa looking forwards to Sunday’s game, I’ve not missed a game on the box yet with perfect coverage, I’m not predicting as I’m bad luck, Nath comes closely most games bar from that 7-2 Liverpool Sorry had to say it again and still play it on gloomy days. 😂😂utv.

Hitchens60 October 16, 2020 at 7:57 pm . Reply

Although, in principle,I’m against the PPV charge – will I be able to resist it on a gloomy Sunday night with nothing else on the box?

nath October 17, 2020 at 8:29 am . Reply

lmao bill

i havent predicted this season games yet. i must admit i didnt see the pool result. even if you gave me 50 attempts i would have probably still not predicted lol. i have tried today not cause i saw your comment i saw your comment after i posted my thoughts. i scrolled up looking at whats new and you made me laugh and choke same time

Bum Bum October 16, 2020 at 8:25 pm . Reply
    nath October 17, 2020 at 8:25 am . Reply

thank fook that international hibernation ended i was starting to get depressed with news outside footy world.

aston villa are now going to be hunted down, like it or not. we used to be the hunter looking to upset the top sides. now we lost our surprise element. the top sides will now look to beat the side that ripped pool to pieces. i think villa players will look forwards to the upcoming challenges not back. our side is hungry and i really think skies the limit if they do not sit on their laurels.

foxes are a tough side at anytime, but straight after a big defeat they will be looking to put that right.they also have injuries at centre back and with vardy. i think we will develop into a counter attacking team this season and foxes are one of the best at that. so the game might get cancelled out. both teams scared to over commit. foxes at home will have to press forward more. so iam going for another win to make it 4 in a row. 0 2 watkins brace who the fook is vardy

Guest October 17, 2020 at 8:58 am . Reply

With no fans in the stadium, home or away doesn’t matter in the slightest, and with some of their injuries I’m confident we can win, Vardy or not.