Leicester 3 – 2 Villa; What on earth happened?

I’m shocked.
I can’t believe we lost that game, but we did, somehow.

We started so well and the main talking point about the first half is that we looked very comfortable and dominated overall, in my opinion.
We controlled the midfield, with Sanchez who was already marked as my man of the match, pulling all the strings and looking the real class that I believe he is.
And Grealish and Gil were linking well, particularly down the left, where even Gabby got involved with some nice play early on.
It was all looking good and ultimately, Jack Grealish went on to score a nice left-footed curler, his first for Villa. He’d had another chance earlier, where he should have scored.
We could easily have been two up at half time, although Leicester did have the odd chance.

Half time, we were one up then, only for Leicester to come out looking a totally different side.
Something that seems is becoming a regular theme in my reviews, I must add.
Either we got worse, or Leicester got much better and I suspect it’s more the former, given that I’ve noticed it as what seems a trait.

Whatever, Leicester proceeded to batter us and the game turned totally on it’s head.
Whereas we were so dominant in the middle (and even the defence looked really good) in the first half, so the midfield just disappeared, which left the defence with way too much to do.

When it’s looking like “shots in” you know you’re going to concede, but to my amazement and delight, we hit Leicester with a good counter, where (I think it was Gabby) pulled the ball back for Gil to hit a lovely right-footed
curler, even better than young Jack’s.
2-0 it was.

It was in the bag then, but Leicester’s heads didn’t drop and they continued what was basically an onslaught.
I’m still not quite sure what happened, but the long and short is they got three goals.
The first two, I can’t really moan about, but the third, I really have to question what Guzan was doing.
If you’re going to come out, you simply have to get the ball, don’t you?

That said, Guzan didn’t cost us this game; It was the midfield.
It was so obvious, it was practically poking my eyes out.
Something needed changing and my opinion says ideally we’d have taken Westwood off and maybe put Gana in his place.
although the latter would probably have started if he was fit.

Instead, Sherwood chose to take Gil off and put Ayew on.
I totally failed to see the point in that, as we weren’t getting the ball up there enough, for my money.
Hutton replaced Bacuna, who was poor, but it was way too late.

Even though we lost this one, I thought there were a few plus points.
The biggest was that the defence actually looked very solid in the first half, when they were playing with a midfield in front of them.

Sanchez is beginning to look real class, as he really did anchor the team in the first half.

And we look like the Grealish, Gil, Sinclair axis might be beginning to work, as they played some cracking stuff at times.
There are serious doubts about their stamina, after having watched that game though.

But at least it was a very decent game to watch, even if we didn’t get the result.

Think back to the tripe we were watching a year ago.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. Holtender September 14, 2015 at 2:46 am . Reply

Thought we had that won for sure. The substitutions were a little too aggressive (would Veretout not have been better than Ayew?) and we missed Gana, considerably.

That being said the first half attacking possession was as good as we’ve seen since the fa cup semi final. Richards was almost entirely immense, Lescott looked very calm and organised, Amavi had his best game, even Bacuna looked comfortable.

Second half Westwood disappeared, Grealish looked a little overwhelmed (but that goal was massive for him, a real seminal moment) and Sanchez struggled to fill all the gaps, but in his defence, there was an awful lot of them.

Overall though there were enough quality moments, from Gil and Grealish in particular, to take some positives from a disappointing defeat.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath September 14, 2015 at 11:05 am . Reply

Big positive for me was Gil after Benteke the best thing Lamberk ever did imo

2. Benno September 14, 2015 at 6:33 am . Reply

I’ve calmed down enough now to see some positives from yesterday.

Gil was class as we all knew he would be. Him and Grealish in the team for the first time together and we looked composed on the ball (well for 70 mins anyway). Both goals were class and so happy for Jack to get his first goal. Richards looked good again too. Think he will form a nice partnership with Lescott back there.

First half was our best football this season. Big game against the Albion next week now.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath September 14, 2015 at 11:07 am . Reply

We all knew Gil would be class except for Sherwood. He only backed down because of fan pressure and he still took him off yesterday ffs. I get the impression that Sherwood isn’t keen on him maybe it’s a personality thing I don’t know.

3. GIDDYVILLAN September 14, 2015 at 7:23 am . Reply

A pub league keeper would of dealt with that third goal better than Guzan,woke up in one FUCKING SHITE mood today throwing a sicky & getting totalled today.I’m one fucked off villan

1. Bill Pearson September 14, 2015 at 7:34 am . Reply

I feel as if I’ve lost something worth thousands, daft isn’t it, I don’t know the answer to all this ? Not with fans seeing different aspects of what I seen. I still Blame Sherwood ,Bacuna, Abonglahor, and Cuzan. We won’t beat anyone playing like we did in the second half, teams will know this on the day.Oh and Sanchez,

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath September 14, 2015 at 11:08 am . Reply

Don’t criticise Sanchez he’s Badgers love child 🙂

1. Bill Pearson September 14, 2015 at 11:14 am . Reply

You’ll get your legs slap young man if Badger hears you.????????

2. badger123 September 14, 2015 at 3:27 pm . Reply

I know you’re joking Ooah, but it’s not true.
          If you look around, you’ll see I wasn’t the only one who thought Sanchez was excellent in the first half.
          And I did say that the second half was a different story.
          Sanchez was poor in the second half, but all the mids were, as they’d been weakened, where they needed reinforcements.

The difference is that you actually commented during the first half, that Sanchez was shit, but he frankly wasn’t, imo.
          It’s all about opinions, I guess.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath September 15, 2015 at 5:41 pm .

Fair enough Badger 🙂

4. originallondonlion September 14, 2015 at 9:05 am . Reply

There were positives, we need goals from midfield and we scored two that would beat any keeper. Sinclair can keep up with Gabby, which has enthused Gabby (did I say dream partnership with Gestede? I must have been asleep) more than anyone in recent years.

Dropping 11 points out of 15 = relegation with 32/33 points if we keep it up – so who let the points go?

1.5 Richards (left ball for Foxes 2nd)
    2 Forwards blank (United)
    3.5 Clark (1.5 Palace header, 1 United OG. 1.5 Sunderland tackle)
    4 Guzan (1.5 Palace roll out, 1 Sunderland FK position, 1.5 Foxes 3rd)

11 total

Only one goal, Foxes 1st, had no Villa error.

Sherwood points gained after subs 2, points lost 4.

1. originallondonlion September 14, 2015 at 9:19 am . Reply

Should read 1 not 1.5 Clark Sunderland tackle.

2. jaymo83 September 14, 2015 at 12:19 pm . Reply

I’d argue Gabby not tracking his man led to Leicester’s first

1. Bill Pearson September 14, 2015 at 1:33 pm . Reply

Thank Jaymo83, in my other post, I said that, other centre-forwards help the defence not stand and wait.

1. originallondonlion September 14, 2015 at 2:57 pm . Reply

You might be right Jaymo and Bill – I didn’t notice that.

5. little8 September 14, 2015 at 3:48 pm . Reply

Different players same old shite .So pissed off.

6. sasa c September 14, 2015 at 6:58 pm . Reply

“ideally we would have taken Westwood off and put Gana on”……..genius, except Gana wasn’t on the bench, he was crocked, and again the anti Sherwood mob jump on the bandwagon, half of you won’t be happy until he’s gone, clowns.

1. badger123 September 15, 2015 at 5:06 am . Reply

Sasa,
      The line you quote was followed by this;
      “although the latter would probably have started if he was fit.”

Which you conveniently ignored, it would seem.
      In fairness, it was probably poorly worded, but my thinking was if that if Sherwood had rested Gana and he was on the bench, that’s what I’d have done.
      I knew he was out.

In my defence, I like to get my opinion out there asap, so people can respond/debate quickly.
      Hence stuff might occasionally be poorly worded.
      Whatever, it’s an immediate, heartfelt Villa fan reaction, where I don’t get time to analyse the game or what I’m writing.
      A sort of comment you’d make as you’re walking away from the ground if you like 🙂

Erm and I’m not anti-Sherwood fwiw if you’re suggesting that about me.
      I’m very much a supporter of what he’s doing, as you should know if you actually read my posts.
      But there’s no doubt he got it wrong in this game, something that is universally agreed on any site you care to read.

1. sasa c September 15, 2015 at 4:40 pm . Reply

Badger, not having a dig at you mate, like you say, you have to write a lot & quick, my point was that Gana wasn’t an option at all for the game, so no point discussing him as one. I know you don’t have a go at Sherwood, but for me, too many on here seem to want him to fall flat, and I don’t get it.
        The big thing for me is that Bacuna is a weak link as a defender, and had Traore been fit, I am sure he would have started with Hutton to enforce behind him….and if you had suggested Veretout come on for Gil, I would have agreed 100%.
        All the best, UTV.

7. bencey83 September 14, 2015 at 7:22 pm . Reply

Leicester dominated for the first 15 minutes or so, then we took the game by the scruff of the neck and bossed it for the rest of the first half. We were pretty much cruising up until Gil was taken off, after which we lost our most creative outlet and our shape.

Tim said it himself, he thought the game was won at 2-0. Big mistake! 2-0 is the most dangerous scoreline, as once the other team get a goal back they start to believe they can win it. Leicester had the momentum once they scored and were the only team that looked like winning. In the end we were clinging on for a point!

Taking off your most influencial player after he’s just scored a wondergoal is a bad move, in my opinion. Should have left him on for at least another 10 minutes.

Personally, I think Sanchez looks a different class and controls the game very well. Sadly, the players around him are not quite on the same level.

Also thought we looked much more solid with Lescott instead of Clark – for the first hour at least!

The weak links as far as I see it are Bacuna, Guzan and Gabby. Bacuna frequently gets the wrong side of his man and Guzan is just a clown! The play broke down with Gabby 90% of the time. However, his pass for the goal was great and he almost set up Sinclair, so you’d have to say he was more effective than both our subs, who were dire! Ayew looks totally off the pace and Gestede is a carthorse. Hutton is probably worse than Bacuna.

I was pleasantly surprised by our starting lineup, as the team has a lot of pace and creativity with Gil, Grealish, Sinclair. There are encouraging signs. And we have Traore to come back.

In my opinion, stick Kozak up top and we have the makings of a good side.

Just need to get a new keeper and right back.

And Tim needs to stop taking our best player off!!!

And we need to inject our players with some of Leicester’s belief!

8. billys boots September 15, 2015 at 12:49 am . Reply

don’t know what game you watched Leicester took control of second half, gil’s goal was against run of play, he had lost control off midfield and plan B was lump it up to gestede and ayew,as badger commented at about 50 minutes “we need to change something”

9. bencey83 September 15, 2015 at 6:34 pm . Reply

I stand corrected – Leicester did come out of the blocks quicker than us, just as they did in the first half. We were still very much on top until the substitution though.

10. Andrew September 15, 2015 at 10:04 pm . Reply

Easily similar to the United v Leicester game last season. Not like they haven’t done it before, last 2 games they came back to draw, so they have the belief most teams don’t. We certainly don’t have the belief they do. Wasn’t so much individual errors as awful subs. Ayew on for Gil, Grealish went out to the right and Ayew was stuck out on the left with nothing to do. Grealish was tired trying to help Amavi a bit in the first half, leaving Sanchez all alone and when you’re completely knackered, he’s going to give the ball away more, and he did. First half did he even make a poor pass? I can’t think of one. Gestede for Gabby was never going to work either because Leicester were going to keep the ball and Gestede needs someone off him, as he can’t bring the ball down, he simply wins headers and Sinclair was useless all game. Hutton for Bacuna was pointless as well. Veretout or Clark should’ve come on, Veretout for Grealish to shore up the midfield or Clark for Lescott who just wasn’t up for it yesterday. I do like the fact Ilori looked good for the U21’s in the midfield role as we need another midfielder who can shore it up with Gana out. Veretout’s attack minded and when you need a 3rd midfielder, Ilori can be that.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath September 16, 2015 at 4:10 pm . Reply

Difference being that we are the worse team on the planet for holding onto a lead nothing has changed under Sherwood. Seriously we all knew if Leic got one they would get at least a draw it was no surprise.