John McGinn update and BMH news

I don’t suppose either subjects are massively important, but it’s news anyway, given that we don’t play again until over a week’s time.
Call it me cynically trying to maintain some interest, if you like. Which is basically what it is and I’m not trying to hide it.

So first off John McGinn has spoken to prince William and suggested that he might be ready in six weeks.
Dean Smith seems to confirm that his protective boot is due to come off, so that’s good.
But I personally think six weeks sounds ambitious.
It seems McGinn is a good healer, but even so it sounds a bit of a push.
Six weeks to be running, maybe, but fully up to speed, ready to play? Well, I’m cynical.
And then of course, there’s the mental effect.
Will the injury mean that McGinn won’t go in for tackles the way he used to, as we all know can affect players?

Personally I doubt it.
McGinn reminds me of one of my all time favourite Villa players and another Scot, in Alex Cropley.
He broke his leg twice while at Arsenal and came back just as willing to put the boot in for us. Indeed it was only(!?) his third leg break that finally finished him off.
He was a crafted player, who had an eye for a decent pass, while being tough with it, all while being only slightly built.
I doubt there’s any footage to see, but if there is, you should have a look.

So hurry back John, we massively miss you!

And then there’s a bit of news about Bodymoor Heath, where it seems there’s some good work going on in improving the facilities.
I can’t say I’m a big fan of the place, ever since the club stopped you going and actually watching the players train without an outsized pair of binoculars and I’ve been a constant critic of our academy which never seems to produce much of note (Grealish apart).
But I do appreciate that it’s where the players do most of their work and needs to kept up to date.
I seem to remember that the last time we refurbed it not long ago, it was called state of the art.
But now, it seems that the gym was small and needed extending?
Hmm, it would seem there was some club PR going on at the time and there probably still is.
Whatever, the fact that we’re improving the facility (albeit that the club has had a payout from HS2, which has probably paid for most of it) is to be commended.

Roll on the important stuff, which is the footy eh?

nath February 8, 2020 at 7:28 pm .

watford the king of time wasting drew 🙂 great result for us but that referee friend is utterly crap i thought it was just us he hated but no he just is a crap referee who is clueless.

great own goal, was a great finish from a great cross. even i would have been proud of that finish. only dampener was it was in the wrong net homer

Big Fat Ron February 8, 2020 at 9:17 pm .

Chester had a stormer for Stoke today; all the comments refer to composure on the ball and the whole defence looking more assured with him in it. No wonder we let him go, then! FFS the decision making at the club is looking more like Faulkner and Lerner by the day. Hogan out. Random nobody from Swansea in. Chester out. Nobody at all in. WTF???

Big Fat Ron February 8, 2020 at 9:23 pm .

Palace really struggling. Could they do us a favour and squeeze into 18th by Easter?

Everton a different team since Silva (inept) left and Ancelloti (world class manager) arrived. If I was a betting man, I wouldn’t put top 4 beyond them. Just goes to show what a class manager can do with decent players! I was jealous the day he checked in at Goodison, and even more so now. With all due respect to Smith and the great work he did in getting us promoted, that’s the calibre of manager AVFC should be looking to attract.

Bum Bum February 8, 2020 at 11:53 pm .

Remember when Ancelotti was linked with Villa just after he left Chelski? Oh, if…!!!

Bill Pearson February 9, 2020 at 8:30 am .

Two games today will be interesting to us, Sheffield and Bournemouth, Man City and West Ham. We did a brief spell in being bottom three until Brighton scored with an own goal. Lads its too close for comfort for me every game is a cup game or its up for us, I have a very good neighbour who is a West Ham fan to the core, today fingers crossed they lose by a big margin. Chester was to me a good player and I’m thinking like you BFR and Bum Bum , the problem is in the Villa higher up staff not the coaching staff heads should roll over some decisions being made. Bye the way Benteke scored his first goal yesterday in 10 months i didn’t want him to come back.

nath February 9, 2020 at 9:27 am .

i believe the teams which are relatively safe now, likes of palace and newcastle are in big dangers. teams like watford brighton and Bournemouth are battled ready and teams above the immediate dangers are stuttering with no form. it will be hard for them to find form if the teams below them keep picking up.

i said we would finish 17th and i still stand by that. but calling this is ludicrously impossible. i would go with norwich hammers and newcastle but it will be very close indeed. squeaky bums time

we needed that three points last weekend badly to bring palace and newcastle within touching distance. we will now have to get that 3 points as soon as possible. its massively important to drag the toon and palace into the fight. then watch them crumble

Hitchens60 February 9, 2020 at 11:52 am .

Citeh / West Spam game called off through weather. That’s not really going to help the Spammers. If we could somehow nick 3 points off Spurs …….

Hitchens60 February 9, 2020 at 11:53 am .

Don’t think we’ve beaten them for about 10 years 🙂

Bum Bum February 9, 2020 at 7:36 pm .

Then it’s about time we jolly well did!!!

Hitchens60 February 9, 2020 at 9:47 pm .

Exactly!

Bum Bum February 10, 2020 at 7:40 am .

Daily Telegraph reporting Jack is ready to move on at the end of the season. Not much substance to the report, but it wouldn’t surprise me. Does he really want to face the prospect of life in the Championship again?

Bum Bum February 10, 2020 at 8:32 am .

If we’d have managed to be in the top 8, then I think he’d look at staying if it looked as though we could crack the increasingly open CL places. Unfortunately just outside the bottom 3 means we’ll have shot ourselves in the foot by losing the best player we’ve had in years.

Hitchens60 February 10, 2020 at 9:47 am .

Agreed Bum Bum, if we go down he’ll leave, as much for financial reasons as anything else.

Mark February 10, 2020 at 5:10 pm .

I understand that Lee Mason has been appointed as the referee for the Carabao Cup final. He is from Greater Manchester for god’s sake

Bum Bum February 10, 2020 at 7:34 pm .

Let’s hope he’s a Red!

Big Fat Ron February 11, 2020 at 8:33 pm .

That’s a f****** disgrace, based on where he’s from. If he’s City, disgraceful against Villa; if he’s United, disgraceful against City. Joke.

Hitchens60 February 11, 2020 at 9:53 pm .

Really BFR – it’s just disgraceful full stop! 🙂

Bill Pearson February 10, 2020 at 6:29 pm .

I’ve never understood why the FA constantly ignores looking into back ground of a referee, don’t tell me a referee hasn’t a boy hood favourite.

Hitchens60 February 10, 2020 at 6:45 pm .

Another of our favourite referees!