How long can the game put up with this and what happens next?

I’m thoroughly dissappointed.
First, because Benteke wants out and second because we seem so willing to let him go, as long as the price is right.

I like to think I’m reasonably pragmatic and fairly sensible, but I have to say from the off that I wish the club would put up a bit more of a stance in trying to keep him.
It’s all well and good saying we’ll only consider bids at the price that we want, but why not come out and re-affirm the £30 mill or whatever it was; and chuck in a “don’t even think of insulting us with £20 mill” comment while we’re at it?
Why not?
Because I don’t believe we’ll hold out for the aforementioned top price.

There you have it, I predict he will go for quite a bit less than £30 mill.
Mind you, I was convinced he would stay this season, so what do I know?

No, it’s the way that we seem to have rolled over on this one that is winding me up.
It’s now a given that Benteke is gone and it’s only a matter of how much.

So, my question here is how long can the game put up with this sort of behaviour from players and agents?

I’ve read all the arguments from the previous thread and have sympathy with all points.
But the underlying feeling still sides with the view that the club should just 100% take charge, in a way that says, if we don’t get offered x, he will remain a Villa player.

So why haven’t we done that?

I reckon the rumoured £20 clause is true, that’s why.
If so, Lambert is going to look a right mug, in my opinion.

I’m digressing.
My point is when is a club going to take a real stand against the agents?
I’ve had people on here trying to tell me that Lerner is doing just that, but I’VE don’t believe it for one minute.
The desire of all football fans is there. We have the Odemwingie debacle and the backing of Albion’s stance to back that up.

Sometime, a club will have to make a major stance and threaten a decent player with being dumped in with the kids.
I wish it would be us, but that isn’t going to happen.
But I believe it will happen. It has too, for the good of the game.

So, given the assumption that Benteke is gone (I refuse to call him Judas, as I feel he’s a misguided kid), what will happen with the money?

Let’s say we get £20 million rising to x.
That’s on top of the extra £30 mill from Sky.
And surely we’d have spent £10 mill even before this lot occurred?

That’s a pretty tidy £60 mill, with Lerner not putting a cent in.

Ok, he’s owed a few quid, after what he’s already put in.
Say £15 mill for him then.
Not unreasonable to the owner an the fans I’d suggest.
Add in the savings on wages and it’s even better for the owner.

So we can look forward to a nice £45 million net spend can’t we?

Er, why are we all laughing?

Because we all know it isn’t going to happen, is it?

We all have our views on why it won’t happen and that’s what I’m looking forward to reading.
I’ll start.

Lerner is just recouping as much as possible, as fast as possible.

Oh, one last thing.
As much as we try and hide it, Benteke is a MAJOR loss, that will need more than improving the team overall.
We need a 20 a season striker, simple.
What’s the chances of that happening again on the cheap?

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. BillyWalkerShirt July 10, 2013 at 8:33 am . Reply

According to goal.com the spuds aren’t willing to meet our valuation and are going to offer £15m (I know it’s laughable) and apparently CB don’t fancy Liverpool so not only does the fella wants away but to the club of his choice and for a fee of his liking.
    Then according to the Guardian Lerner and Lambert are taking a very tough stance and are looking for around £30m.
    I can see this getting very very messy.

2. Langfordvilla July 10, 2013 at 8:33 am . Reply

Lose a great player…. Yet end up with a far better team. What happens next is entirely down to what Randy gives Lambert.
    P and P

3. Saddened July 10, 2013 at 8:51 am . Reply

I think the club are acting exactly how they should, they have received a transfer request but are saying they will only listen to offers that match their valuation and before the season starts….. If he then throws a sulk because the offers were not large enough or too late throw him in the reserves which will make him miss out on the world cup…… The stroppy, spoilt mercenary tosser.

4. Naughtius Maximus July 10, 2013 at 9:37 am . Reply

as above, yes I believe we are taking a stand and I believe we will(clauses aside)we don’t exactly need the money(or we aren’t desperate like some clubs)and as is being said in the football world outside of villa ‘we hold all the cards’.
    its a shit situation and there’s no doubt a big blow for us and we will miss having him in the team, this was always on the cards.
    and who says Michu isn’t going to go? its not even august yet.
    like BWS says its not a silver lining but 20m+ for a player having 1/half a good season is good business, even if he has another good season at villa his price wont go any higher, you’re not going to see him rise to the 30m+ status of yer ronaldos and so on, Christ RVP was what? 22m? a poor season at villa and we’d be lucky to get 10m or break even. and lets remember it was only feb onward that he really started to kick on and that was when the team as a whole was playing well not just one player.
    the big question as the article brings up is will we get the money to spend on players coz(and I really do know its not a silver lining, id much rather have benteke stay)but we could make a real killing here and do some really good business.

1. BillyWalkerShirt July 10, 2013 at 9:44 am . Reply
  5. MarkDraperNumber8 July 10, 2013 at 7:10 pm . Reply

Whats going on

6. Bill Pearson July 10, 2013 at 7:34 pm . Reply

Bill my words to you early this morning, pushed by greedy agents, clubs have got to get together and stop this idiotic moves by greedy bastards agents for their own sake. You cannot blame players money talks, we need people like Lambert to stand up and us to back him.

7. Bill Pearson July 10, 2013 at 7:36 pm . Reply

Anon Giddy is still awaiting help from you on Langfords e/mail.

8. Bencey83 July 11, 2013 at 8:18 pm . Reply

Michu will be playing in Europe next season, so is probably happy to stay put.