Given that it looks like we’re going down, who can we get in?

I’ve been having a think about the above question and I think we’re going to struggle come the winter window.

To my mind, we have two ways of looking at things.
1) We spend some serious money on some quality players, with the aim being to fight our way out of trouble.
Or
2) We resign ourselves to relegation and buy players to suit.

I’ve previously called for a massive investment come January and in massive, I mean way over the £25-30 million that even I’d touted a few weeks back.
Let’s face it, it should have been spent in the summer on top of the Delph and Benteke money, as we all felt the squad in general wasn’t good enough. At least we would have had a chance of getting some quality in, what with a new broom and all that.

But of course it was never going to happen, as Lerner won’t invest because he wants out and is only trying to recoup money.
So why will anything be different in January?
Well, perhaps it’s now beginning to dawn on Lerner on what he stands to lose if we get relegated and he will have a last ditch attempt at survival by splashing the cash?

We also have to factor in the problem where if we’re cut adrift even more than we already are in the table, the only way we’re going to get quality players in, is if we pay them way over the top money.
I know some of you have said they won’t come, but I believe they would. After all, it’s only a job isn’t it, where a four year contract on higher money is better than less money, regardless of where you are playing?

No, it just doesn’t make sense, given Lerner’s history of spending over the last 4 years or so.

Hence I think we’re going to go for option 2), where we’ll be working on an even tighter budget, with the aim of pocketing as much parachute money as possible.
It seems an absurd situation as a fan, but from a businessman’s point of view it makes sense.
Heck, I think I’ll go further and say Lerner might even take the club off the market, as although we’d be playing in the championship, it is never a good thing to sell an asset at a loss.

It’s a risky game, because Lerner would face even more of the fans ire, if we were to openly accept relegation.
Indeed the fans might actually start to do what should have been done ages ago and protest, but I doubt Lerner would care. He probably knows that we’d still get 20,000 plus turn up at games.
Surely one in the eye for him though, will be looking at us having extended Gabby’s contract.
£3 million a year plus for a fading player?
Still, Gabby might actually come good in the championship, but surely Lerner must be thinking “who the hell approved that deal?” The one good thought there is that it was probably him, which just shows how good his judgement is.

Lerner of course, might splash out a token few bob on someone like Austin to appease the easily pleased of us (as much as he says he doesn’t want to play at a relegation candidate), but I think we’re looking at a very bleak winter window overall.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. Marvilla00 November 29, 2015 at 9:16 pm . Reply

Andrew in football mate you know money talks so u can get most of these old experience plays for a price!!! That’s what we lack experience & leadership on the field of play!!

1. andrew November 29, 2015 at 9:59 pm . Reply

yes but because of our position and how we are seen in the medias eye they wont just come.
      but if they did come it would cost us in the long run. players who would want out at the earliest point but nobody wants them costing us x amount of thousands a week.
      so lets face the music and get prepared for what we will need to get back

1. Bill Pearson November 29, 2015 at 10:07 pm . Reply

Exactly Andrew, only has been and money makers would come,

2. Marvilla00 November 29, 2015 at 10:28 pm . Reply

Andrew it will cost us a lot more money us going down then getting and paying them players to keep us up!!
    I refuse to give up hope on my beloved villa and have hope randy and remi will pull us out of theses bad times!

1. Andrew November 30, 2015 at 2:16 am . Reply

Those players aren’t good enough to keep us up is what I was getting at. We have to get so much better.

3. Benno November 29, 2015 at 11:24 pm . Reply

I just dont see us being able to get players from Europe if it looks odds on that we will go down. As a foreign player, you would take one look at the table and say no thanks!

The reason I think Championship players would work is they have nothing to lose. If Villa do get relegated, they have a better chance of being promoted than they do with their current club…and will be earning more money.

1. Andrew November 30, 2015 at 2:22 am . Reply

I mean it makes sense, but getting mediocre Championship players is a sign of giving up. As well as Garde doesn’t know them, we can still attract European based players. Hull brought in N’Doye in January and then got relegated, obviously just one example but it can happen.

1. Benno November 30, 2015 at 4:42 am . Reply

Dont get me wrong, I’m not saying this a great option, but it might be the only one we have in these circumstances. However, I don’t think players like Afobe or Keane from Burnley would be bad additions to our squad anyway.

4. Hitchens 60 November 30, 2015 at 12:37 am . Reply

It’s a tough question Badger given that Lerner is hardly likely to pay out big wages with relegation on the horizon. Expect more young players with potential would be my guess.

What worries me is who we’ll lose, if not in January then in the summer as Lerner looks to cut costs. There are a few where we’d all agree to pay their taxi fare to go but it’s more likely to be our better players that want to go.

My biggest fear is that Garde leaves at the end of the season; I dread to even think who he would be replaced by! All in all worrying times

5. GIDDYVILLAN November 30, 2015 at 8:35 am . Reply

It makes me laff everybody’s player wishlist I know it makes good discussion but as we should know LERNERs a tight arse so your all dreaming so really what’s the point.

1. Hitchens 60 November 30, 2015 at 11:42 am . Reply

All we’re left with is dreams……or is that nightmares!

1. Bum Bum November 30, 2015 at 12:02 pm . Reply

But nightmares aren’t real. This is!!!!

6. Bill Pearson November 30, 2015 at 10:01 am . Reply

Correct Giddy, as I’ve said who just who would be daft enough to come to us, only fake won’t to be in England and ending their time finished players. We don’t have that club that’s looking to progress in Aston Villa.

7. Bum Bum November 30, 2015 at 11:44 am . Reply

The only way anyone will come to us is if we pick up between six and nine points before Christmas. Anything else is pure fantasy.

1. saddened November 30, 2015 at 12:25 pm . Reply

I can’t see us getting 6-9 points before May, let alone Christmas !

1. Bum Bum November 30, 2015 at 12:56 pm . Reply

Precisely. 🙁

8. originallondonlion December 2, 2015 at 10:51 pm . Reply

Karl’s comment is true about most games this season, Everton was a rout but most have not been. The problem has been it is much easier to score, even with a bad shot missing the target when struck, at the Villa end than at the other end. Our defence lacks leadership and competence, the goalkeeper is a joke.

I wish I did not have to read another squeak about Charlie Austin. He won’t pass an insurance medical anywhere – which is why other clubs haven’t signed him and he is still at the club which can roll over his cover.

More to the point – it isn’t our attack that is the biggest failure it is the defence. Our attack is nearly always facing a defence sitting on a lead who do not have to leave gaps. When the scores are level or we hold a lead so the opponents have to attack our forwards look better.

If we are going to spend money hopefully Garde does try the young Spanish keeper we have already or insists he buys another keeper, and the next priority is a couple of Scandinavian stoppers so Richards can be shunted to RB maybe Clark to LB if we do not buy.

9. BWS December 3, 2015 at 2:41 am . Reply

Clark left back?
    Yea, left back in the changing room!