Gabby’s latest comments; POLL

Gabriel+Agbonlahor+Aston+Villa+v+Wolverhampton+M4T9ljl8dE-l

I see Gabby has come out with some interesting comments talking about how he’s 100% committed to the Villa cause and is promising to try 100% if he gets picked.
Which is big of him, after his performance or lack of it, last season.

Let me first re-iterate what I’ve said before in that I’ve often defended him, as I do truly believe his oft being played out wide didn’t help his game at all.

We quite often never played to his strengths, which to my mind were running on to the ball with his incredible pace, which we all know was by far his best ability.
Putting him out wide, expecting him to beat players and whip in good crosses was never his game, but at the time, it was almost like he had to play in any Villa side, such was the high regard that many Villa fans, including myself, held him in. That’s not to mention the influence he seems to have had.
And quite simply managers, rightly or wrongly thought we had better options in the middle of the attack.
Indeed, I could even see how it might be an excuse for his head to drop.

And while I found his antics in Dubai at best distasteful, I could even understand fans supporting him then. That’s what young lads, especially lads with the sort of money he earns, do.

And if he’d been performing on the pitch, I suspect many of us fans would have even turned a disapproving blind eye to his antics.
Unfortunately, the fact is he wasn’t and hasn’t, for a very long while.

But what capped it for me was that he was reporting in for training so overweight, Eric Black actually called him out for it and sent him on a special regime to lose the lard.
Which is about the only useful thing Black did, in my opinion.

Turning in for football training overweight is not only unprofessional, but it’s frankly disrespectful to the club and the fans. Especially when your only asset is your pace.
You do have to question how he was allowed to get into such a state, but perhaps that’s another indicator of how much influence/power he had? Let’s not forget he supposedly had the ear of Randy Lerner.

Which is all ultimately why I’m loathe to believe anything that comes out of his mouth when it comes to the Villa.
For someone who’s supposed to be Villa through and through, I feel he’s let us down massively and it’s just too late for him to recover his previous status of “one of our own”.
Hence, I think he’s only trying to keep himself in his very comfortable position, earning sixty odd grand a week, which is frankly a joke.

While I hope his words are true and he’s really willing to get his head down, I’m still concerned that he had way too much influence in the dressing room and for that alone, I’m afraid he has to go, even if it’s only to set an example.
Which means we let him go on a free and maybe even subsidise his next over-inflated contract: anything to get rid.

Still, as the player himself knows, he does still have some fans on his side.
Which is where you come in re; the poll.

For what it’s worth, I think he’ll be staying, regardless of what we fans think.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. pat57 July 4, 2016 at 12:27 pm . Reply

We’ve just had the worst season I’ve experienced since following the Villa from 1957.

I’d like to see all the negative links to that season cut and the most negative as far as I can make out is Flabby. Disrespectful to his team mates and disrespectful to the fans.

I always say that you should judge people on what they do not what they say. If you honestly apply this then there is only one possible verdict –

FLABBY OUT!!!!

(BTW If anyone still has doubts watch the Man City game again where a snail was filmed overtaking Flabby)

2. Bill Pearson July 4, 2016 at 12:30 pm . Reply

CA Villan, Steve,Saddened, I’ve given you all a like, why? Because your spot on about Agbonglahor, shit got it right.spelling I mean.

1. Bill Pearson July 4, 2016 at 12:31 pm . Reply

Pat57, and you a like.

2. Stubbs July 4, 2016 at 2:27 pm . Reply

You almost got the spelling right Bill. Keep trying. 🙂

Any idea who Cuzan is ha ha ha.

1. Bill Pearson July 4, 2016 at 3:09 pm . Reply

Of cause I do Stubs, he’s that punch drunk drop a lot man between the posts.Did I get it right sir.?

3. Hitchens 60 July 4, 2016 at 3:53 pm . Reply

Apparently we are signing Tshibor (sp?) from Reading for £5m anybody any knowledge.

Apologies in advance to Stubbs if I’ve spelt his name wrong!

1. Hitchens 60 July 4, 2016 at 3:55 pm . Reply

Tshibola – not Tshibor!

1. Bill Pearson July 4, 2016 at 4:18 pm . Reply

Oh hell, I must get that right or all hell will break loose Stubbs will go barmy at me.Tshibola shit thats a hard one.

1. Hitchens 60 July 4, 2016 at 5:05 pm . Reply

Love it Bill.

4. Ardent Villain July 4, 2016 at 5:45 pm . Reply

Looking at his Wikipedia page [FWIW] he might be described as a ‘promising prospect’ – England U18, etc. – but whether at 21 he’s ready to be a useful part of something new at Villa this coming season, is anyone’s guess.

1. CA Villan July 4, 2016 at 7:23 pm . Reply

Steve Clarke gave him his debut at Reading so that is the connection. Seems there are other clubs interested from the prem, but I guess he feels he will get playing time at Villa. He played a lot of games in the championship.last season

5. nath July 4, 2016 at 6:35 pm . Reply

on the gabby issue, great hes gonna give us 100% now. but like others said before me. does this mean, hes admitting hes been taking the piss out of the club and fans for years. its another nzog situation, maybe not as worse, because he was completely useless. but like it or not gabby is going nowhere, nobody will offer him same or better wages on his past efforts at villa.

the reading lad we agree a fee for, i heard hes a decent player but raw. all signings have some risk attached, we just trust clarke who knows him well.

1. Stubbs July 4, 2016 at 6:41 pm . Reply

If there is any truth in the Tshibola talk I think it’s disgusting that the club haven’t released a statement.

After all there is a responsibility with the club to keep fans fully informed and updated.

6. nath July 4, 2016 at 6:56 pm . Reply

omg did i read that correctly ~ mr ray wilkins has been a naughty boy. well i won’t say anything, which i might get sued for. but now he can concentrate on sumat else rather than villa for a change

1. Bill Pearson July 4, 2016 at 7:14 pm . Reply

Nath, Nath, what’s he done?Badger’s at work I won’t tell him.

7. Paul July 4, 2016 at 7:03 pm . Reply

Ego,s don’t win games and for sure impossible a team player.

8. Bill Pearson July 4, 2016 at 7:33 pm . Reply

Thanks Ardent, silly sod it ain’t even Christmas yet, thought he had some personal health problems when at Villa? Wonder how much he wants for the car.Sorry that’s not nice, bad luck that.

1. Ardent Villain July 4, 2016 at 7:42 pm . Reply

From what I hear, the police catch more [alleged] DD’s during these few so-called ‘summer’ weeks than they do over Christmas and New Year; all down to BBQ’s, cricket/tennis/golf ‘ corporate hospitality’ sessions, etc.

Guess it’s quite easy to have a couple or three pints, half a bottle of wine, or a few Pimm’s or whatever during a long afternoon/evening, and then get in the car to go home without realising that you’re ‘borderline’ [at best] if offered the breath test…

1. OriginalLondonLion July 4, 2016 at 9:03 pm . Reply

Apparently the officer, a Chelsea supporter, recognised Wilkins. He then realised the car was only going forwards, after following it for some distance, it had never turned through 270 degrees and gone off at right angles to its original course. He therefore stopped Wilkins to investigate.

9. OriginalLondonLion July 4, 2016 at 9:12 pm . Reply

I think I know where it all went wrong for Gabby. Anfield. A fews seasons’ ago Villa were giving the Reds the runaround and Gabby was nigh on unplayable. He chased a ball to the Kop end goal-line and was up-ended over a knee high barrier down into a concrete pit. He was out for months and never the same on return. Odd that of all football clubs who might be expected to be safety conscious, it should be Liverpool who continued to have this grizzly hazard.

10. Dave67 July 4, 2016 at 9:54 pm . Reply

After that statement from Gabby, I take it he is going know where. Fans have lost faith in him including myself. Gabby less of the shit talk and do your talking on the field we dropped down a level so let’s see what you made off.