Footy suspended, so now what?

I know some of you have already started discussing it, but I can’t miss writing this up as a post, because it’s so important.

Corona is making all the headlines and as we all know, it’s led to football in England being suspended for three weeks.
There was obviously no choice but to do this and it’s the right choice, although I don’t believe it goes anywhere near far enough and is mostly a panic reaction, to try and see how things pan out.
The only problem is that from what I’ve read, Corona virus in the UK is predicted to probably peak out in about fourteen weeks. Ie, the middle of June.
I’m not going to be quite as pessimistic as that, as my pure layman’s guess is that this will prove to be very flu-like and start to peter out come late April or early May.

Not that it matters much.
Either way, I don’t believe for one minute that we’ll be able to restart footy in three weeks time.

Which is where I’ve heard a few options.
The first is that the league is frozen as it is and the season is over, meaning the current positions stand.
That quite simply isn’t going to happen, as the bottom three clubs, us included, would just sue the Premier league for loss of revenue.

Then there’s the possibility that we drag the season into the summer and start next season later.
I can’t see that working, given the amount of moaning the managers do about too many games.

And then there’s the option of playing games behind closed doors, which has massive implications for revenue and sponsorship.
While this is probably the most unpopular of those options, it would seem to me that it’s the only way to go and I can’t see what the league were thinking in suspending the league.

Of course, you have the players and staff to consider, but I would have thought you could have had a situation where they would be tested for Corona on say Tuesday and Friday and if found to be negative, they’re ok to play.
But then, what if one of the outfit tests positive? They’re bound to pass it to the others?

Hmm, I’m flummoxed unless any of you have better suggestions.

The more I think about it, the more I think the season should just be abandoned.
I think Germany has considered this and the teams in the current promotion positions get promoted into an extended league above.
But there will surely be litigation all over the place here, with the likes of restriction of trade.

Abandonment would suit us beautifully, but we ain’t that lucky.

I can see football’s dilemma, but without trying to get political, I don’t think the government has helped.
The advice is that you stay two metres away from other people if possible.
Yet they haven’t banned crowds, which just makes the suggestion a joke.

Either the whole country should be in total lockdown and we let business rant and rave about it or we just leave things entirely, so the virus plays out at it’s own pace and we get it over and done with quicker.
But then, our NHS that can’t cope with a normal winter, goes into total meltdown.

Blimey, what a mess.
No wonder I’ve got the feeling that even the Government haven’t got a clue what to do and are absolutely terrified of what might happen.

Bill Pearson March 15, 2020 at 2:37 pm .

Sod it, I’m sent to prison in my own house now, Daughter and kids saying don’t go out, are everybody going nuts, or is their more to this than meets the eye.

Hitchens60 March 15, 2020 at 7:11 pm .

So is this a China designed virus to rid the world of the elderly?

I’m more in the camp that everyone is going nuts and me and the wife are not going to be ‘imprisoned’ by anyone. That doesn’t mean to say that we are ignoring sensible precautions but no way are we going to stay at home for x months.

Kids are supporting us in our decision – we work together as a family.

But what about those 70+ year olds without family – who is going to support them? A society more interested in panic buying and stocking up to the detriment of the elderly or the most vulnerable in case they might have to self isolate for 7 days with a modest case of the virus?

DSVilla March 17, 2020 at 10:48 am .

We are only days away from our government enforcing these measures (closing pubs/restaurants/theatres etc). They are behind the curve and have admitted that their plan was based on flawed data, so the numbers needing treatment will be well over what the NHS can cope with. Really, all of you should be taking the utmost precautions. Look after yourselves as the best way to protect the vulnerable.

I don’t think this means being locked in the house for most of us. Walking in the open air is presumably OK. Just be careful anywhere where there are other people, and try to carry hand sanitiser (if you can get it) to use when you can’t wash with soap and water. That means when you visit petrol pumps, use chip and pin etc.

I’ve talked it through with my mum and dad, both in their 80’s and her with health problems. They have agreed we should keep away, and just keep in touch on the phone. It is tough and I’m sorry if this is preachy but stay safe everyone.

Bill Pearson March 17, 2020 at 11:39 am .

Thanks DSVilla, I’m being told constantly by my children to stay safe, I’m in your mom’s era and understand the fears, just come back from allotment I think that’s safe as its in the open, all the best to you and family.

Roy Bracy March 17, 2020 at 6:42 pm .

Sad news of the death of Peter witingham condolences to his family.great crosser of the ball, played many year’s for Cardiff after leaving villa.maybe villa would have been better keeping him at the time,same as albrighton and Westwood.

Bill Pearson March 17, 2020 at 7:25 pm .

Sad news that Roy, he was a Midland lad born in Nuneaton never understood why Villa let him go, 35 is no age and I share his families loss. R.I.P Peter.

Hitchens60 March 18, 2020 at 9:39 am .

What a shock – another good player let go too soon. Thoughts with his family and friends. Once part of the Villa family, always part of the Pride. Holte Ender in the Sky RIP.

Bum Bum March 18, 2020 at 12:02 pm .

Terrible shame. Some crazy fall whilst at home. Always gave his all.

DSVilla March 18, 2020 at 12:26 pm .

I hadn’t seen this news. That’s really sad. So young.

Bill Pearson March 18, 2020 at 1:52 pm .

False news ..

It is understood Whittingham is in critical condition in Cardiff’s Heath Hospital.

On Wednesday, South Wales Police released a statement revealing what happened after social media users speculated.

It read: “At around 10pm on March 7, South Wales Police were called to a licensed premises in Barry.

“A 35-year-old man from Penarth suffered a head injury as a result of a fall and remains at the University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff.

“At this stage there is no evidence or suggestion of a criminal act, and it appears the injury was caused by an accidental fall.

“Enquiries are continuing into the circumstances of the incident.

So he’s still with us….?

Bill Pearson March 18, 2020 at 1:57 pm .

He did die, I picked up on old news, I’ve got to get out stopping in driving me barmy. R.I P. Peter.

Hitchens60 March 18, 2020 at 2:32 pm .

Bill – it seems to be a confused situation. BBC are reporting that he’s in hospital with serious head injuries.

It seems it’s difficult to rely on the authenticity of any news at present!