Crewe 1- 6 Villa; Slightly unexpected, but

On the face of it, this was really easy.
But that’s not strictly true, as what came out of this game, from what I saw/heard is that we played very open and quite simply took our chances.
Whereas Crewe possibly had more chances, but quite simply, didn’t take them.
No doubt one of of the stat sites will back me up or tell me I’m wrong, but that’s how it seemed.

It was very much a case of Dean Smith’s “you score 3, we’ll score 4” attitude, but it made the game somewhat misleading, in my opinion.
Which is all good when you’re playing lower level opposition, such as Crewe.

The worrying part, is that Crewe created a boatload of chances and a better quality side would probably have outscored us.
The fact that their solitary goal was scored by a player running past 4 defenders is worrying.

But not quite so worrying that we need to be concerned.
We’d taken such an early 2-0 lead, that the game seemed beyond Crewe and they never proved a real test.
For them, it was more a test of their defence and for us, it was more a test of the attacking side to our game.
Which is where we came out well, having proved very clinical, while Crewe wasted chances galore.

I’m not convinced we learned much from this game, but scoring six goals will surely add to the side’s confidence.
It was nice that Hourihane got two too, but I just get the impression that we have players who can easily cut it at the sort of level played tonight.

It’s whether they can demonstrate it in the Premier league.

Don’t get me wrong.
I’m not knocking tonight’s score in any way.
We whupped Crewe and that might have been a very tricky prospect, just a couple of seasons ago.

But we need to show even more if we’re to do well in the Prem.

Dean Smith will have seen plenty to moan about tonight.
Which is exactly how a Premier league side should be thinking.
We’ll have learned from this and will improve even more.

I’m quite confident of that.

Bill Pearson August 31, 2019 at 5:49 pm .

If a ref gets £1000 for a game I say stick that twat into division 3 at £200 a game. I’m going to say it again , we need to get refs from abroad, we have London against the rest of the country refs.

nath August 31, 2019 at 6:06 pm .

arsenal away are our next travels bill. that is so true london against the rest. even little teams that are established in premiership will get the decisions above us. familiarity i think we are the new boys to most these refs they have built up relationships with players and our players are not well know names. so we will get nothing all season from the officials.

we have to make a song and dance about this. so next time this happens the referee will think twice before they try to do us over again. this guy was shit all day, he was booking us and palace were dealt with very leniently.

zaha late on taylors foot nothing happened,taylor late on zara yellow, grealish was barged off the ball a few times got no freekick. yet any palace bent over to do his lace got a free kick. it was blatant cheating and should be stopped

Badger123 August 31, 2019 at 6:06 pm .

Agreed Guest.
    It’s why I’m holding onto/considering my thoughts and my post might not appear until tomorrow.
    We deserved nothing from the game, but whatever, if that goal should have stood, it might make the difference between survival and relegation or medicrity and Europa, whichever way you’re inclined to think.

nath August 31, 2019 at 6:17 pm .

we don’t deserve to get anything from game, so it is ok to do us over. goal lansbury scored we good, but we don’t deserve a point. so we should insist its disallowed, don’t understand the thinking behind that.

all game we struggled, but palace were not much better, they had a strong helping hand by referee. intent on giving them every chance to claim three points and he succeeded.

if we bend over and take it were it hurts, then other referees will only do the same, knowing we won’t make a song and dance about it, so its ok to do us

i was sure first time i saw it no replays. i just seen a few replays now and its worst than i first thought and i just cant believe it was not allowed by var. its a clear mistake by referee, so why wasnt var talking to referee to give the goal.

nath August 31, 2019 at 6:25 pm .

also grealish is up before his arse is on the floor, so if he is diving for a pen or freekick where does he appeal. referee sees the ball heading to lansabury then blows up,as he realises the balls heading into the corner of net.

if we were anybody else but villa, the referee would have waited for the ball to hit the net and go to var to ask for help. because he missed what happened like he missed everything else from 1 minute to this incident

replays are all over the web now so everybody can see us getting done over properly

Guest August 31, 2019 at 7:09 pm .

“we don’t deserve to get anything from game, so it is ok to do us over”

Nobody said that, wind your neck in.

badger123 August 31, 2019 at 7:09 pm .

Nath, the decision looked wrong.
        But the debate is about one point for us against 3 for them.
        Did we justify a draw overall?
        I don’t think so, although, of course, a good goal should be a goal, simple.

If it cost us a win where we were 0-0, I’d be fuming, don’t get me wrong.

Swings and roundabouts over a season, springs to mind.

Holte66 August 31, 2019 at 6:37 pm .

Another reason why we struggled to get a foothold in the game was the fact we had 4 players on yellow cards before half time. This meant our players were nervy to make challenges knowing the shite referee was hoping to get our entire team sent off.

Bill Pearson August 31, 2019 at 6:39 pm .

True Holte.

Bill Pearson August 31, 2019 at 6:38 pm .

Nath, I agree , I’m awaiting tonight’s panel over should or shouldn’t , I hate to loose but if its fair yes ok , I don’t think that game was fair in many incidents. Am I a bad loser? No

nath August 31, 2019 at 6:48 pm .

bill you are fair,all we ask for is no biased stuff. in the first half alone the referee made us look like a bully team. every foul committed doesnt warrant a yellow card, palace madesame types of foouls but they never recieved the same harshness. 4 yellows we got three were defenders who jobs it was to tackle and their jobs were made impossible second half.

this referee was itching to send off a villa player i saw this and many more said this about ht this ref has to be hung drawn and quartered or i am complaining. thats fair

i really am going to the pub now i was ready 20 minutes ago but i was so furious

Sidforever August 31, 2019 at 8:09 pm .

Via Birmingham Live there is a link to a live petition to have today’s ref removed from premier.

Please find the link below and sign up- so far nearly 600 have. Join the protest!