Crewe 1- 6 Villa; Slightly unexpected, but

On the face of it, this was really easy.
But that’s not strictly true, as what came out of this game, from what I saw/heard is that we played very open and quite simply took our chances.
Whereas Crewe possibly had more chances, but quite simply, didn’t take them.
No doubt one of of the stat sites will back me up or tell me I’m wrong, but that’s how it seemed.

It was very much a case of Dean Smith’s “you score 3, we’ll score 4” attitude, but it made the game somewhat misleading, in my opinion.
Which is all good when you’re playing lower level opposition, such as Crewe.

The worrying part, is that Crewe created a boatload of chances and a better quality side would probably have outscored us.
The fact that their solitary goal was scored by a player running past 4 defenders is worrying.

But not quite so worrying that we need to be concerned.
We’d taken such an early 2-0 lead, that the game seemed beyond Crewe and they never proved a real test.
For them, it was more a test of their defence and for us, it was more a test of the attacking side to our game.
Which is where we came out well, having proved very clinical, while Crewe wasted chances galore.

I’m not convinced we learned much from this game, but scoring six goals will surely add to the side’s confidence.
It was nice that Hourihane got two too, but I just get the impression that we have players who can easily cut it at the sort of level played tonight.

It’s whether they can demonstrate it in the Premier league.

Don’t get me wrong.
I’m not knocking tonight’s score in any way.
We whupped Crewe and that might have been a very tricky prospect, just a couple of seasons ago.

But we need to show even more if we’re to do well in the Prem.

Dean Smith will have seen plenty to moan about tonight.
Which is exactly how a Premier league side should be thinking.
We’ll have learned from this and will improve even more.

I’m quite confident of that.

Pat 57 August 27, 2019 at 10:48 pm .

Well whatever the ins and outs of the game we scored six goals with five different scorers which is pleasing.As I posted earlier I think we’ve now got the makings of a very good first team and quite a decent second eleven too.

With regards to signings it looks more and more like Smith/Pitarch/Purslow are proving to be the perfect combination.

Onwards and upwards

Muzzvill August 27, 2019 at 11:14 pm .

Sad day for football Bury expelled from the football league

Pat 57 August 28, 2019 at 2:52 am .

Muzzvill I’ve liked this not because I ‘like’ it but because I agree. There are loads of real football fans out there who are thinking ‘There but for the grace of God goes my team’.

I heard a Bury fan of many years on the radio who was nearly in tears saying ‘Who am I supposed to support now?’ Hope that they can rise from the ashes like Wimbledon.

Big Fat Ron August 28, 2019 at 12:13 am .

I think Lansbury deserves a mention for his assists. The back-heel for Grealish was outrageous, while the unselfish pass for Conor in the first half was super-professional. I hope he can contribute throughout the season…

VillaAwayInDiv3 August 28, 2019 at 12:37 am .

Stats 50/50 and back up we took the chances…..

Pat 57 August 28, 2019 at 3:15 am .

Watched some of the Newport v West Ham game last night while keeping an eye on the live text for the Villa game. West Ham won 2-0 but Newport played well and had a load of chances to score. Unlucky to not at least get a draw.

On the other hand we stuck six past Crewe.

Not worried about our ‘defence’ overmuch as that particular line up will probably not get a game as a unit.

Bill Pearson August 29, 2019 at 3:31 pm .

Heaton and Minns in England squad. .

Hitchens60 August 28, 2019 at 6:40 am .

Think this is more about proving the quality in depth that exists in the squad. Remember this is a team that’s never played together before so some shortfall in cohesion (particularly in defence) can be expected.

BBC had Jota as ‘impressive again’.

Crewe can also take a lot of positives from the game though.

Sidcowanslovechild August 28, 2019 at 10:23 am .

Badger, I watched a stream and while Crewe did ok in patches we were miles the better team. They didn’t create a boatload of chances though they did create some. We mainly dominated the game as you would expect but could tighten up I reckon

DSVilla August 28, 2019 at 12:00 pm .

TBH we seem to get turned over in these games way too often. Yes Crewe had their chances, but we played some nice stuff and you can’t knock the team when scoring six. Davis looked sharp too. It would be nice to see him make an impact in the Premiership when he comes on.

Hitchens60 August 28, 2019 at 7:10 pm .

Read a report that Smith was adamant Davis stayed at Villa this season although it says the club had six loan offers for him. It seems Smith rates him highly so I reckon we’ll see more of him in the Prem as long as he can stay fit.

I still think Kodjia will ultimately be moved on but, for now, we need him in the squad.

Big Fat Ron August 28, 2019 at 12:14 pm .

Dean Saunders sentenced to jail! What??!

Pat 57 August 28, 2019 at 1:02 pm .

Obviously pissed and refusing to take a breath test. Sorry but my only quibble is that it’s only ten weeks in jail.

The police did him a favour. If he’d been involved in an accident it could have been many years behind bars.

Hitchens60 August 28, 2019 at 7:11 pm .

Plus a 30 month driving ban and fine!