Cardiff 3 – 0 Villa; The clamour begins

Oh dear, oh dear, what to say?
I had the game on Radio WM, but the site’s SSL security certificate ran out which meant that you were probably seeing a warning about the site being unsafe. Let me reassure you, it isnt.
Anyway, I updated the certificate, only for the site to crash, which meant I was working on that and didn’t really concentrate on the commentary.

Hence any real assessment is vague at best, but the general tone of the commentary was easy to catch and when you hear “worrying”, “no shape” and “poor” etc, you have to be concerned.

I’ve said previously that our first few fixtures are tough and I hinted that I didn’t think we’d have many points racked up, which would probably lead to fans calling for Bruce’s head.
But from what I’ve seen on various other Villa sites, it seems the clamour has started already.

Now of course, it’s still very early days, but we’re already five points down on the league leaders and you have to wonder how much of a lead we might be able to pull back before it’s too late to challenge.

The most single worrying thing today was the comment that “Cardiff are a very average side, that will finish around tenth at best, yet they still beat us comfortably”.
So where does that leave us?

By the sounds of it, Warnock did his homework and targeted our right side, meaning Hutton had a shocker.
But more worryingly, it seems our defence was utter rubbish today, something I find strange given that we are supposed to have beefed it up. Words like “slow” maybe justify why some of us were concerned by Terry’s signing.
And just maybe my viewpoint about playing our “best” eleven so they get to know each other was also justified?
I don’t know.

As I said, it’s early days. Nothing is certain yet and Cardiff away is never going to be an easy game.
But we have another tough game coming up, away to Reading.
Are we confident that we’ll get anything there?

We need to start gaining points, even if they’re only single one’s because if we don’t, the season will be over before it’s really up and running.

I wonder what Tony Xia is thinking?
No reasonable owner is going to sack a manager this early, but you have to wonder how many poor performances he’ll tolerate.

I’m also intrigued as to how some of our more positive posters are going to react to this result.
I expect some very lively debate!

1. DSVilla August 12, 2017 at 6:22 pm . Reply

Garbage. Crap manager. He will be out after 10 games but it will probably be too late .

2. bws August 12, 2017 at 6:28 pm . Reply

Badger I’d love bruce to turn it around win the next ten on the bounce but I can’t see it happening.
    This side appears to me to lack character, a Harlem globe trotters type team of hastily assembled from players who looked like the best players at their former clubs but with no long term plan as how to forge them into a team.
    It doesn’t look good mate, we are in danger of becoming a Nottingham Forest.

3. GIDDYVILLAN August 12, 2017 at 6:33 pm . Reply

Bad day at the office or what it’s pointless calling the samaritans as they’ll be busy dealing with fans of Chelsea. Stupid saying this so early in the season but readings a must win game not only for Bruce but the fans

1. DSVilla August 12, 2017 at 6:40 pm . Reply

Another defeat coming our way I’m afraid. The players are good enough. The manager and coaches are useless

2. bws August 12, 2017 at 6:47 pm . Reply

Giddy where’s Bill P?

1. GIDDYVILLAN August 12, 2017 at 6:50 pm . Reply

Abroad in think???

3. bws August 12, 2017 at 6:53 pm . Reply

Soaking up a few rays.
      Hey Giddy who do Samaritans phone when they’re feeling at their wits end?????

1. Hitchens 60 August 12, 2017 at 7:13 pm . Reply

In Russia mate drinking the vodka and away from the football – lucky bloke!

2. GIDDYVILLAN August 12, 2017 at 7:15 pm . Reply

BWS haven’t a clue mate

4. Andrew August 12, 2017 at 6:43 pm . Reply

So where are the fans who laughed at the list I made again? Calamity Bruce fails again. This time being rolled over by Neil bloody Warnock. That’s the biggest embarrassment of it all. “But but but we change managers too often and even though I said he needed a pre-season and he got one and nothing’s changed, we need to keep him for that stability, even though he’s stabilizing us as a awful side who aren’t likely to go up and there’s no signs of getting any better even with the amazing Terry and Whelan”… Pretty sure I nailed most of the pro-Bruce comments set to arrive shortly.

1. Hitchens 60 August 12, 2017 at 7:15 pm . Reply

Well done Andrew saves me the bother of posting πŸ™‚

1. Andrew August 12, 2017 at 7:20 pm . Reply

That’s what I’m here for, Hitchens. That’s what I’m here for.

2. GIDDYVILLAN August 12, 2017 at 7:17 pm . Reply

I’m here & your list was a joke so no improvement on brucey before you say ‘so Bruce isn’t a joke’

1. Andrew August 12, 2017 at 7:19 pm . Reply

You haven’t even heard of a single manager on the list I made, so taking your response seriously. A no go mate.

1. GIDDYVILLAN August 12, 2017 at 7:25 pm . Reply

Really karanka now your going down the I know about football & you don’t really Mr. Fucking football brains of the world I do watch everything about football other teams Inc managers & with the net my fucking worlds my oyster

1. GIDDYVILLAN August 12, 2017 at 7:33 pm .

Ps no wonder nath gives you a hard time looking forward to seeing on motd tonight

2. Andrew August 12, 2017 at 7:43 pm .

I do watch all kinds of football. And wow, you remembered Karanka, good for you.

Lol you think I’m bothered by Nath giving me a hard time. That’s hysterical.

3. GIDDYVILLAN August 12, 2017 at 7:49 pm .

How could I forget karanka it’s not very often I piss myself laffing, mastermind for you next questions on everything about football

4. Andrew August 12, 2017 at 7:52 pm .

You do realize Karanka actually took Boro up though, right? Just like your buddy did with Hull. Except Karanka didn’t walk about right before the start of the season, he stuck around despite not having money and the owner signing awful players. Karanka decided to speak his mind instead of run for the hills.

5. GIDDYVILLAN August 12, 2017 at 7:59 pm .

Yeah he should try PR did a great job pissing every fucker off, I’d love that mentality at the villa if we haven’t enough ongoing issues already

6. Andrew August 12, 2017 at 8:02 pm .

Thought you were old school? Thought you liked the type of manager who didn’t hide from his comments and lambasted people and the players who aren’t good enough? Or the owner who didn’t back him when asked?

3. Hitchens 60 August 12, 2017 at 7:24 pm . Reply

I think you will find that Neil ‘etc’ Warnock has an exceptional record against the Villa – not that I’m offering it as an excuse.

Like all fans I’m very disappointed with today’s performance; I try and be positive, not blinkered, but I do want Bruce to be successful (for the club’s sake). He has to show he can turn this round quickly or yet another manager will be driving into Villa Park; the question is, if Bruce fails, can anybody successfully manage this club?

1. Andrew August 12, 2017 at 7:45 pm . Reply

Anyways Hitchens, that is the problem. Has he shown any signs of change, progress and the like? Not at all. And I’m sure even the most pro-Bruce fan can call this, Bruce’s team. After 2 windows and a pre-season.

1. nath August 12, 2017 at 8:13 pm . Reply

can everybody see the above comment ????See Giddy, instead of acting like an emotional 12 year old girl, this is how you make a comment.

now why call giddy names ?? if he calls you names will you be crying and asking badger to ban him and you threw the first insult

1. DSVilla August 12, 2017 at 10:48 pm .

You can dish out the abuse when it suits you. Like Andrew I don’t give a shit. It’s not relevant. The point is Bruce. You still in favour? If you are say so and tell us why. I think he is crap. My supporting evidence is his record.
            His team, his squad, pre season on top of 2/3 of last season. Tell me why he is fit to manage this club. I can’t see it.

2. GIDDYVILLAN August 12, 2017 at 8:19 pm . Reply

Andrew you just proved your mental age show me in my previous posts I name called or got personal you’ve just shown your true colours

1. Andrew August 12, 2017 at 10:37 pm .

Figured I’d take a page out of Old Nath’s play book, you know the one you like so much?

2. GIDDYVILLAN August 13, 2017 at 7:21 am .

Oh if he calls me names I’ll call people names fucking grow up

3. Andrew August 13, 2017 at 10:06 am .

You’re an incredibly angry and aggressive person, aren’t you? Saddest part is, despite the hostility, I’m calm as hell. But you keep getting angrier and angrier if that makes you feel better. I’ll just start ignoring you like I do Nath. It’s actually quite easy when it adds nothing of worth to the convo,

4. nath August 13, 2017 at 1:03 pm .

Andrew I told you before I really don’t care what you have to say. I don’t want to communicate with you even if that’s just by txt. if I have nothing to offer the convo, its just like looking in the mirror for you. because you offer absolutely nothing also. your as argumentative as me.but you cry if somebody is pointing out your flaws. you started calling me names, like this was suppose to upset me. so I return the insults. you threaten to tell tales to badger. its handbags stuff. I grew out of this at primary school.

yesterday you are discussing a subject with giddy and insult him saying hes acting like 12 year old girl. like this is a normal response to a adult debate. can you see the patterns, if you can’t win a argument you resort to name calling or slagging ppl down. but when this is done to you. you call for badger

5. GIDDYVILLAN August 14, 2017 at 6:39 am .

Nath people who get cornered resort to these tactics basically they’ve got nothing in reserve, he says I’m the angry one nahhh I didn’t resort to name calling. He is a very unintelligent individual as proven in many posts

5. Adam August 12, 2017 at 6:43 pm . Reply

Its still early days this season we cant go sacking bruce yet but its worrying we didnt have a striker on the bench not even davis or murphy!? Not sure what he was thinking there. By the time kodjia is back we could be sadly too far behind already! Squeaky bum time.

1. Andrew August 12, 2017 at 7:46 pm . Reply

When is it time then? 10 months at the club, no signs of Progress. And if this is the kind of stability our fans want, then we’re completely screwed.

6. nath August 12, 2017 at 8:09 pm . Reply

Karanka lol talk to middlesbro fans they say he was ultra defensive his major flaw. boring football. lack of goals. this sounds familiar. so question is why was this great manager on the brilliant manager list you drew up from your great footballing knowledge.

another question none of them had any decent record, if I was gonna prove I knew it all I would have stuck with rafa like ooahaha. but you had to pull a rabbit out of a hat and suggested 4 or 5 names that even their mothers hadn’t heard of lol

don’t reply to me or I will tell badger on you or uncle oohahahah

why I am here I will say. I listened to the game on welsh radio so I am not best placed to comment. only on what was said. we were second best again. the welsh radio station were happy with Cardiff saying they were impressive, top 6 was their height of ambitions, oh they mentioned 3 of their players and how they bullied chester and terry and the fullbacks. I am too pissed off to bother to watch the highlights.

1. GIDDYVILLAN August 12, 2017 at 8:23 pm . Reply

Nath your wasting your time he’ll only start name calling tut tut

1. nath August 12, 2017 at 8:40 pm . Reply

iam watching athletics chilling with my beer. I just got lappy on to read posts from those posters that have gone like langford.

2. DSVilla August 12, 2017 at 10:53 pm . Reply

You said you would accept boring football if it gets us promoted. Then you slag Andrew for suggesting a manager who you think plays boring football. Make your mind up

7. Villain1 August 12, 2017 at 8:27 pm . Reply

Last October i heard fan after fan bigging up Bruce’s experience and ability in the championship. At that time I said we needed a progressive young coach to rip up the setup like David Wagner, not a tactically inept dinosaur. Now Wagner sits at the top of the PL while we continue our descent down the football league. Where is the Bruce fan club now I ask? How many times will it take to learn that we need a young progressive non-British coach

1. jvillan August 12, 2017 at 8:34 pm . Reply

villain1
      there is 3/4 on here that are backed into corner they backed bruce since day 1 and his team selections signings,

1. langfordvilla August 12, 2017 at 8:42 pm . Reply

I backed Bruce from day 1 and still do! I may think differently after 15 games until then just support!

1. jvillan August 12, 2017 at 8:45 pm . Reply

be much to late after 15 games lang ,rdm was sacked after 11 and all i heard bruce hadnt time to much to catch up,we need a modern man or neil warnock 3m profit in charge same length of time as bruce just lookat difference two sides

2. bws August 12, 2017 at 10:39 pm . Reply

The trouble is LV you had total faith in Lerner so that brings into question your judgement unfortunately mate.

1. langfordvilla August 13, 2017 at 8:56 am .

Me having faith in Lerner….thats the funniest thing I’ve heard! πŸ™‚

8. langfordvilla August 12, 2017 at 8:37 pm . Reply

Abysmal….nothing short of abysmal! I dont want anyone jumping on Bruce’s back though! This was completely down to lack of desire and passion from the PLAYERS….you’ll not convince me that Bruce tells them to play that way. Having said that, I will be blaming Bruce if he doesnt swing the axe for Tue. Only Onomah came out of the game with any real credit imo! Terry was slow and leggy. With hindsight, I feel Baker and Chester would have been a better pairing!. Gabby = terrible, Taylor = poor, Terry = very slow, no sign of the leadership I expected, Hutton = poor today, but commited as always. Hogan = willing, but no supply. Johnstone = awful, ship him back to Manure and bring back Steer!

Lack of passion, desire and commitment is totally unnaceptable!

But, fuck it, We’ll win on Tuesday at Reading πŸ™‚

1. jvillan August 12, 2017 at 8:49 pm . Reply

johnson taylor terry all bruces men,hutton has been a liability for years yet gets praise for putting in a shift [big fucking deal he gets paid well enough]gabby the doc should have got shot of that rotten egg first day,and yes hogan gets praise every where tonight hardworking but no end ball 3more bruces men whelan elmo lainsby, time for a change

1. langfordvilla August 12, 2017 at 8:56 pm . Reply

Its irrelant ‘whose men’ they are, they should have been better than they were today….so I’m agreeing with you to a point! What I dont agree with is your knee jerk reaction! The reason being that I know we’ll be in the top 2 by the end if the season….and thats all that matters! Do you want Conte, Klop, Hughes and Howe sacked after todays defeat….FFS, get real!

1. Villain1 August 12, 2017 at 9:07 pm . Reply

You “know” we’re going to finish in top two, very realistic based on 4 away wins in 24 championship away matches,
          You take delusion to a whole new level im afraid

2. jvillan August 12, 2017 at 9:11 pm . Reply

lang
          its no knee jerk reaction,have wrote the same since bruce first day here.villa to big a club for a man away from top level for 20 years,thats the same shocking performance from villa in 30 of bruces 40 games in charge and what makesit worse it was all old supposedly professionals taylor terry huttongabynot young lads learning there way

3. bws August 12, 2017 at 10:26 pm . Reply

Langford Koop & Conte in the the same breath as Mr Steve Bruce?
          Me thinks not.

1. bws August 12, 2017 at 10:27 pm .

Klop

4. Andrew August 12, 2017 at 10:27 pm . Reply

Langford. You can’t be serious comparing those 4 to us, can you? The difference is this isn’t a knee jerk reaction. This crap has been going on since he’s been in charge. It’s not 1 or 2 games. It’s 37 league games. 10 months of football. And he’s failed.

1. bws August 12, 2017 at 10:36 pm .

What’s his stats over the 37 games?
            That should make interesting reading.

2. Andrew August 12, 2017 at 10:44 pm .

15 wins
            7 draws
            15 losses
            38 goals for
            41 against

3. langfordvilla August 13, 2017 at 8:57 am .

Comparing them?…..what on earth are you talking about?

2. Villain1 August 12, 2017 at 8:52 pm . Reply

You don’t want anyone jumping on Bruce’s back but he signed 8 of the 11 starters today and brought Gabby back which should never have happened. He made these decisions and he will pay for them. Its abysmal management from a man so far out of touch with the modern game its frightening.

3. Andrew August 12, 2017 at 10:24 pm . Reply

Sorry Langford, but he admitted it was hit fault. He said after 6 months (which it’s been 10 so he’s a bit off), he can’t get it right and said he knows the consequences if he can’t get it right after 10 games. Which hopefully is the mark where he goes.He is in fact at fault for this. It’s his squad. Why is it Bruce gets a pass but past manager’s didn’t?

4. bws August 12, 2017 at 10:34 pm . Reply

Langford I’ve seen many a SB side Blues Wigan Sunderland and never been impressed.
      All lightweight and no longevity.

1. Andrew August 12, 2017 at 10:46 pm . Reply

Just went on Wikipedia. Overall, he has a better win ratio at Villa Park than he does anywhere else but Palace. But he’s the man for the job.

1. DSVilla August 12, 2017 at 11:01 pm . Reply

Bruce is pants. He really is. Picking Gabby in his first 11 is proof enough. There are lots of other reasons but there’s no point. You either have blind faith or not. He has past promotions – past relegations too. He is more likely to deliver the latter than the former. Support your club by all means but don’t be blind to the obvious

1. Andrew August 12, 2017 at 11:13 pm .

I solely wanna read 1 comment that’s Pro-Bruce that has nothing to do with the fact that they’re tired of changing managers. For footie reasons, why would anyone want to keep him? Has he shown progress? Has he shown the ability to change? Is he getting results? Is he close to creating a formula to get results? The answer is no too all of them. And I really hope he’s gone before Kodjia gets back because Kodjia will win us games no matter the manager (unless he plays Hogan up front with him which proved to not work last season) and it’ll keep him around.

2. bws August 12, 2017 at 11:27 pm . Reply

With those stats we should be there or thereabouts so wtf is going wrong?
          Then again as the Mark Twain quote goes – “there are lies, damned lies and statistics.”

1. Andrew August 12, 2017 at 11:47 pm .

I mean in fairness a lot of his losses were in the Premier League, not the Championship. Wikipedia just didn’t split up the results in which division.

2. jvillan August 12, 2017 at 11:04 pm . Reply

bws
        the only half decent side bruce had was the blues even tho it pains me to say it,but that nearly 20 years ago,when mobile phones where just getting popular,

1. bws August 12, 2017 at 11:19 pm . Reply

10th – 12th and 13th I was about to say come on it’s hardly setting the world alight but on reflection it’s the Blues we’re talking about so I suppose it’s up there with turning water to wine.

1. jvillan August 12, 2017 at 11:23 pm .

as much as i hated savage he is type of player we need inthis league

2. bws August 12, 2017 at 11:29 pm .

Mate that is one thing we’re definitely missing, a bit of bite, a touch of nastiness.

9. JDoyle August 12, 2017 at 9:50 pm . Reply

I said this befor this manager of ours may have been half decent in the past but he simply hasnt kept up with modern day football he is a dinosaur ready to be made extinct harpoon the f ucker and lets put him out with the rest of the old relics weve had with his shyte shambolic team pickings tactics abonglahorn up front i mean what the f uck has bruce been on the crystal meth and what the f uck are they doing on the trg ground calderwood and all his inept cronies and that goes for the money suckers at the top of the club as well you get that rotund money sucker wyness talking a good game but what he talks and what we see are 2 completely different things yes lets fekin get a villa style we already have one its called the prehistoric shyte style i knew when charlie came in this shute would go down champions league he said absolute shyte more like vanarama league in 5 years. And next week we will still get all the villa tourist k nobs out for a day out not propa fans they come and eat burger and drink a beer and buy a program and take pics fooking whoopee doo im so cool look at me im at villa park they post to facebook and then clap away as all the shower of shyte trudge out to the pitch and then clap and cheer when we manage a single pass that actually finds our player like we just won the f uckin world cup thats what this club has come down to bruce is like a dinosaur nearly extinct we got bruce we may as well have got fat ron back this shower of absolute shyte not fit to wear the shirt and terry can piss off back from the hole he crawled out of anotha f uckin dinosaur after one last fat check from Dr fkin dolittle and the same for players from another decade i mean shyte like whelen and elohamanday seriously what about the young players rather play some of them but then you see their reserve scores and you realise the whole trg team must spend there time playing the caracas and watching homes under the hammer rather than doing any substantial trg with the players, bruce oute, round out, wyness out and any other dumb fucker who is hanging onto that fat underserved, overinflated paycheck while the real man on the street struggles to even put food on the table this worl is a f ckin scam world and i am cheesed off with it i would rather watch my invalide father who has dementia do crown green bowls and he even forgets the balls when we turn up to the green thats how bastard bad aston shyte villa are