Almstadt gone; more to follow, surely? And banners out on 74.

I know, I’m behind the loop in commenting on this story, but it’s been for a reason, as I’ve been thinking about why we’ve sacked him at this particular time.
And make no mistake, this wasn’t “mutual agreement”. He was sacked.
Or was he?

Almstadt going on holiday to Dubai didn’t surprise me in the slightest.
Indeed, if things were a bit quiet at work and I was feeling “flush” money-wise, I’d be looking to go there myself.

But what astounded me was the fact that apparently the club didn’t even know he was going and were supposedly “stunned”.
Shocked… And stunned… Very stunned (anyone else remember the Rutles?)

So the obvious answer to a major official who just waltzes off on holiday without a minute’s notice in our direst hour of need, is to sack him.
What a load of rubbish and I don’t believe that for one second.

My money says he knew what was coming, because he’d been told and just thought “sod it” and did one. Either that or he was told to go; deal done.
His going on holiday was just too convenient for my liking.

The concern here is, I’ll bet he gets paid off big time and I dread to think what he’ll have cost the club, given that it seems he did next to nothing, apart from making sure he filled his plates with food down at Bodymoor heath each day.

Anyway, the more important point is that Tom Fox recommended him.
And if you believe that Almstadt was so useless, surely he has to go too, for his atrocious judgement?

Well, yes and no for me, although I lean to the yes side of things.

While Fox on the face of it, seems to be a poor CEO who was appointed above his level, it does seem he’s good at bringing the money in.
So, yes, he needs to be sacked as CEO. But maybe we should retain him as the revenue producer?
But then it depends on where you think the revenue will end up, doesn’t it?

So that leaves us with Paddy Riley, who I suspect will carry the can for the summer recruitment.
I’d guess he’s already been given notice and will probably see out the season.
That’s maybe somewhat unfair, if he wasn’t the major player.
But I’m not bothered.
Stats never worked for me, so it has to be a case of good riddance to a rubbish idea.
Which takes me back to Fox, who was probably the instigator of the whole thing.
The point there being that it’s rarely those higher up who get the sack, which is why I think he’ll get to stay.

All that said, we don’t really care do we?
We’re going down and want the lot of them out.

Which leaves the much more interesting subject of protests.

With the “out the door on 74” protest having proven a joke (imo), there’s now a much better proposition of “banners out on 74”.
This is much more like sucking the right tit and will be way more noticeable, given that the Chelsea game will be shown live on BT.

My opinion says there is much to commend this type of protest, especially after the despicable way those who bought the banners out last week were treated by the Gestapo’s henchmen.

Even the staid (read boring) AVST basically came out and said there is nothing wrong with a banner saying “Lerner out”, as it does not contravene any of the rules.

So sneak them into the ground, however you can.
The stewards will have to kick out half the support if enough banners are displayed and the fans stand their ground.

Although, hands up, I won’t be there myself.

The way the club treats it’s fans, let alone the rubbish on the pitch is just another reason I don’t attend anymore, as I’ve previously attested (wow, was that really 2010 when I got thrown out for holding an unlit cigarette?).

Get those banners out in force, if you’re asking me, as it’s the best those who turn up can probably do without teaming up with the Newcastle fans at our penultimate game and invading the pitch in a joint protest at the owners and the state of the game.
Not that I’m suggesting that at all.

I couldn’t possibly suggest a first, in two Premier league clubs coming together in a pitch invasion could I?
It’d be seen as “incitement”.

And it’s all just my opinion, anyway.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. pat57 March 17, 2016 at 5:46 pm . Reply

Looks like someone else might be going too –

‘Aston Villa manager Remi Garde has refused to be drawn on reports linking him with a return to former club Lyon.’

Can’t say I blame him if he does go.

2. Bill Pearson March 17, 2016 at 6:52 pm . Reply

Pat57, think they are trying to real us in again? No matter what they say or do its way late in the day, nobody’s said sod all to us fans the ones who suffered all this shit , why don’t someone explain what’s gone on, what’s going on, and what they going to do? To me its bullshit to carm fans down.

1. pat57 March 17, 2016 at 7:08 pm . Reply

@Bill

Couldn’t agree more. They should sack O’Reilly immediately and then Hollis should hold a conference and tell us what the plan is…

…if they have one that is 🙁

1. Hitchens 60 March 17, 2016 at 7:33 pm . Reply

Not sure they could tell us anything that we’d believe or placates the fan base – like we have a wealthy buyer lined up! If they have a new CEO in mind, he’s probably already gainfully employed elsewhere.

Can’t believe Riley won’t be off very soon.

3. Hitchens 60 March 17, 2016 at 7:30 pm . Reply

Death by a thousand ‘pricks’!

Riley seems to be hanging on by his fingernails – presumably over a substantial payoff!

Hollis now effectively Chairman and CEO – not good. I would hope they have a new CEO already identified. Wonder if Fox’s resignation has caught Hollis by surprise?

4. VillaAwayInDiv3 March 17, 2016 at 7:37 pm . Reply

Does anyone agree with me when I think that the Newcastle match could end in a riot…..we are down and they well might do the same if we were to beat them……can see both sides getting on the pitch and wrecking the ground as well.
    Surely the club and Police must know this has the chance of being a disaster waiting to happen…..and must do whats needed to stop it…WHATEVER THAT MIGHT BE.

1. pat57 March 17, 2016 at 11:50 pm . Reply

The problem with your argument is the phrase ‘If we were to beat them’

As we currently have a team that couldn’t beat their way out of a wet paper bag I find it very doubtful that we’d beat a Newcastle team with Rafa as manager.

There will be no riot just a lot of disgruntled Villa fans making their way home same as every match day

5. Hitchens 60 March 17, 2016 at 7:43 pm . Reply

I wasn’t aware that Krulak has been appointed an executive director of the club (originally he was a non executive) at the same time as Bernstein? Not sure what to make of that. Little is not a director in any capacity but is an ‘expert’ retained to advise the board.

1. Bum Bum March 17, 2016 at 9:45 pm . Reply

What the hell is the point of that? Is hw going to try and rouse the troops again?????

1. KentNielsen77 March 17, 2016 at 10:22 pm . Reply

Perhaps it’s cheaper for the General to come back and shoot the troops than pay them to fuck off?

2. Hitchens 60 March 17, 2016 at 10:26 pm . Reply

Bum Bum – I have no idea other than he (Lerner) needs a paid lackey on the board because he can’t be arsed to get of his and take an interest in OUR club.

6. badger123 March 18, 2016 at 4:38 am . Reply

Hitch, it smacks of desperation to me.

Lerner is so remote now and I suspect he thinks he’s been had over, somehow.
    The CFO hasn’t gone for no reason, I’m sure of that.

I don’t think Lerner trusts anyone anymore and the General is probably the only one he feels he can trust, even though I suspect he’s sadly “past it”.

Lerner needs to do a deal and just go.

1. Bill Pearson March 18, 2016 at 6:20 am . Reply

BBC News tonight, an interview with Remi Garde, should be interesting that.we will have to read between the lines,

2. Hitchens 60 March 18, 2016 at 7:48 am . Reply

Sure you’re right Badger – but ‘spies in the camp’ are very bad news and often negatively affect the effectiveness of a board. I’m afraid it’s another poor decision by Lerner to restrict the board’s decision making.

Lerner needs a reality check and start asking a sensible price for the club before we become the next Portsmouth and he does all his money

7. Bill Pearson March 18, 2016 at 6:45 am . Reply