Wigan – Villa; Another 3 points, surely (hopefully)?

I’ve got to be honest and say I’ve hardly read any Villa news at all this week.
Too much to do and not enough hours etc, but I actually feel a bit guilty in not keeping up.
It’s a funny thing being a footy fan, isn’t it?

Anyway, what to say?
Surely this has to be another 3 points in the bag, doesn’t it?
Wigan’s home form is the outright worst in the Championship, with them having only won 3 games at home. Yep, even worse than Rotherham.
They don’t score many either and a 0-1 is most likely to nick the result.

So what do we know?
Wigan have binned manager Warren Joyce after just 4 months and assistant Graham Barrow takes charge.
Will that mean a new manager bounce? I doubt it, myself.

Will Grigg and Donervon Daniels are both out with knee injuries, but Sam Morsy returns from suspension and Shaun MacDonald could feature.
Apart from Will Grigg, I haven’t heard of any of them, so I don’t have a clue if that’s good or bad.

As for us, the good news is that Henri Lansbury, Scott Hogan and Jack Grealish have all trained this week.
Will any of them start is the question and I’m not convinced they should. Why change a winning team, after all?
Although I suspect Steve Bruce might have other ideas.
Hence I’d expect Lansbury and Hogan to show, if they are truly fit.

“Hitchens” informs me that Jedinak is going to play at Centre Back and Bruce sees that as his future position (ta). That’s interesting and rightly begs the question of where it leaves Elphick. Up a certain creek, I’d suggest, although he won’t be easy to move on, with his no doubt inflated wages.
He’s very decent, albeit expensive back-up though.

Prediction time then and I’ll be incredibly disappointed if we don’t come away with the win.
Whatever side starts or how we play really doesn’t matter, as I expect us to just have too much quality and confidence, even if we make hard work of it.

I probably really shouldn’t say it, but I expect nothing less than 3 points.

Villa to win 2-0.
And Hourihane to get one

1. badger123 March 23, 2017 at 8:51 pm . Reply

It looks like Carlos Sanchez might be moving to Fiorentina permanently.
    I still feel it was a mistake letting him go.
    He would have been great back-up for Jedinak when he was injured and could have moved in if the Aussie does move to CB;

Seriously under-rated, trying to cover (and getting blamed for) a porous defence, imo.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath March 27, 2017 at 12:14 am . Reply

Interesting I thought he was on too. Maybe the club don’t want him or he is happier in Italy

2. BCVILLA March 27, 2017 at 10:06 pm . Reply

My eyes lit up when I read the link – $24m for sanchez. The article quickly corrected me.

He was very hit and miss for me; was able to intercept/tackle to break down the oppositions play but also very prone to losing the ball himself.

I’d love to have Gil back, though he seems set on staying in spain. Veretout I wouldn’t mind having back, if he lives up to the potential he had before his season with us.

McCormack can do one.

Overall? – if none of them come back it wouldn’t be the end of the world. It would save us from having to buy more players (provided they are good enough for us) but IMO no big loss. Especially the first three being remnants of an era we could do with seeing the end of…. the worst season in my lifetime (or at least memory). Richards, Gabby etc. to be included in that as well.

2. Adam March 25, 2017 at 1:52 am . Reply

Bad challenge by neil taylor tonight. Think hes in for some bad press. Probably best to rest him for a while.

3. nath March 25, 2017 at 6:27 am . Reply

i second that above comment from adam. really bad challenge from taylor. hard for anybody to say he intentionally went to hurt the opposition player. in my opinion he looked too have that in the way he went into the tackle. not sure if there was some bad blood before this game between them two or this was due to that game. but anyways my concerns are just for villa. he had settled in well upto now. is a improvement on amavi defensively which i didnt think he would be.

will he been banned domestically anyways ??? if not like adam he should be taken out of spotlight. tackles like that play on minds of guilty and injured if meant or not

i think sanchez should be sold, i like him good player but isnt a villa player, he needs flair around him. take the money and cut your loses

1. Hitchens 60 March 25, 2017 at 5:01 pm . Reply

Nath, watched the game – happened in a flash but it looked pretty awful and obvious red card. No real appetite to watch endless replays -it is what it is and Taylor has to live with it. Like you I’m only concerned about Villa and what concerns me is that this might have a significant long term effect on Taylor’s ability to play LB – just when it looked like we had solved that problem.

However, I’m not sure I agree that he should be withdrawn from the team for a period – the old adage of falling off a horse – get right back on – comes to mind.

Finally, I don’t believe Taylor can be banned domestically and to do so would raise a question of subjectivity over the level of seriousness of a tackle or other red card offence in an international fixture (that would warrant an additional domestic suspension)

1. nath March 25, 2017 at 8:06 pm . Reply

i have seen the tackle and i was sickened by it, i liked to say he missed timed the tackle, got it horribly wrong. i didnt see the entire game. i heard it was a bad tempered game, was there any niggles between these two before that challenge. it looked like taylor was intending to take out the guy from everton.
        how did you see this, was it accident missed timed or more professional foul or worse

1. Hitchens 60 March 26, 2017 at 8:02 am . Reply

Nath, as I say haven’t watched the replays but, if anything, Taylor seemed very quiet in the game – almost peripheral and, no, I didn’t see any niggles between them. It happened within a minute of Bales slide through O’Shea in the penalty area which probably deserved a red card as well.

1. nath March 26, 2017 at 1:50 pm .

thanks for your response 🙂

well accidents happen, i heard a few ex players say that it was a bad tackle but wasn’t intentional. i thought their might have been some build up, but maybe it was the bale incident which charged up the passion more. taylor maybe went in alittle late but nothing more than a freak accident.

lets hope this incident doesn’t affect us. it could happen to any players. i wish coleman a speedily recovery.

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath March 27, 2017 at 12:17 am . Reply

Didn’t realise it was Taylor that made tackle. He’s been good for us hope it dosnt affect him. Sick of these stupid internationals anyway they should be banned we all know who will qualify or not before a ball is even kicked just like the rip off CL

4. Hitchens60 March 26, 2017 at 3:13 pm . Reply

Nath, I won’t defend the tackle it was very bad and Coleman suffered the worst outcome. Often we see bad tackles that players avoid. I think Thor suffered as a result of an appalling tackle – bit of course not televised.

As irresponsible and unacceptable is some of the social media responses – a reason I don’t use platforms such as Twitter.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath March 27, 2017 at 12:19 am . Reply

Typical if Taylor was a Utd player media would say nothing. Look wheat happened when Keane finished the career of Man City player (can’t remember his name) nothing said about that

1. Hitchens 60 March 27, 2017 at 2:29 pm . Reply

Didn’t Keane admit (in his book?) he set out to maim one player – can’t remember who it was; maybe same as you think Oohah. I don’t believe for one moment that Taylor set out to deliberately hurt Coleman.

1. BCVILLA March 27, 2017 at 10:15 pm . Reply

Alfi Haaland – horrible outcome and intentional after haalands tackle on keane in a previous game i believe.

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath March 29, 2017 at 1:59 am . Reply

Yes it was Man City player haaland. Keane is a thug imo. Remember when he took out Southgate in a game as well. Horrible man

5. Hitchens 60 March 27, 2017 at 2:34 pm . Reply

See (according to the Telegraph) we are in talks with Manure to sign Johnstone permanently for £3m – thoughts?

6. badger123 March 27, 2017 at 11:24 pm . Reply

I’m not entirely convinced Hitch.
    Yes, he’s done ok lately, but his earlier failings weren’t very encouraging.
    That said, he’s young and confidence probably affects him a lot.
    I’m happy to see how he does over the rest of the season and don’t see why there should be any mad rush to sign him up.

1. Hitchens 60 March 28, 2017 at 7:32 am . Reply

Fair points Badger – does it say something about a paucity of decent keepers bring available? The one aspect I do like is trying to build a side with good young players who have talent and will (hopefully) go on to be quality players in the future – makes a refreshing change to buying has beens at over inflated prices or wages (or both!) – McCormack being the latest and hopefully the last.

2. Ardent Villain March 28, 2017 at 4:14 pm . Reply

He’s very [-very -] young for a ‘keeper, but I’d say he shows a great deal of promise.

7. nath March 28, 2017 at 7:56 pm . Reply

Johnstone if we can sign him would be a decent signing. yes hes young yes he will make mistakes. but like hitch stated much rather us give youth more of a chance than some fat cat looking for a final payment or a sucker club too bleed .Johnstone will only get better like a fine wine. all goalkeepers have bad patches its a confident goalie that are usually the best. he has proven himself to me, because he has had a sticky patch and had the balls to come through it with a team he had only just joined midway through a season.

i would like us try to sign him permanent, we dont want to be helping utd to ready their number two ready for their number 1 running off to spain anytime soon