Wanting Smith out is utter madness. The case FOR keeping him.

Okay, results haven’t gone our way for a while.
Indeed, I’ve said a few times that we look really poor against even bottom of the table sides.

The Ipswich performance was a low for me and the last game against Sheffield Utd was equally as bad, as much as we managed to get a point with a comeback that really shouldn’t be legal.

We are utter rubbish as a side, there’s no denying it, even if you’re the really positive type.

Yet I still retain 100% confidence in Dean Smith.

Why, I hear you ask?

It’s because while he hasn’t really had the chance yet, he’s going to totally change what we are currently seeing; which is a bunch of players who just aren’t quick enough and are far too used to plodding around the pitch and waiting for the ball to come to them.

He will sign players who look for the ball and actually engage and challenge.

See how Brentford play against our plodders and any manager or fan will see it too.
They’re (with all due respect) a two bit club, yet they’ll seriously challenge us, you watch.
And possibly beat us.

Smith will not tolerate this and will change it up, as soon as he can, which is in the proper summer window.

I’m stating what we all hope is the obvious.
But equally, I expect things to get worse.

Where I might be inclined to state the case against Dean Smith.

As it stands, that might not be that far off.
And that’s the dilemma.
Do we give Smith masses of time to rebuild, or do we get on the manager merry-go-round again?

My heart says no, we stick with him.
But I look at the rubbish that we’re actually showing on the pitch.
And it’s horrendous.

Surely Smith should be able to get some sort of tune out of these players?

If Smith doesn’t turn it around soon, I suspect I’ll be posting the case for wanting him out.
Which, while it probably won’t sit right with me, comes down to logic.
It’s all about results and the fact is we aren’t getting them.

I’ve said plenty of times that we need to remain patient and give Smith time.
But I seriously don’t think he’s going to get it, as we’ll want him gone, for only another poor mug to come in.

As much as it might go against the grain for a while, the owners need to hold their nerve and stick with Dean Smith.

We’ve tried big names; the promotion sorts and it hasn’t worked.
So what’s left?

Benno February 12, 2019 at 3:30 am .

The truth is our full backs are all dreadful. Our midfield is way too slow (bar mcginn and grealish) and our wingers are selfish and lazy. That’s over half the team.

Saddened February 12, 2019 at 7:00 am .

I don’t want Smith out, as I don’t think there are many alternatives out there that would want to come to us or be much of an improvement….However I do think the job is bigger than he imagined.
    We say the same things with every manager since O’Neil left, maybe the problems are deeper than just replacing managers.

Hitchens60 February 12, 2019 at 7:23 am .

Expectation – you posted about that Badger – nothing’s changed on that score.

Smith was appointed and expectation rose as fans waited to see an immediate transformation to Brentfordesque performances from a Steve Bruce side. The wins at Derby and Middlesbrough only served to enhance those expectations.

Ted talks about perspective – his interpretation being that the fans are lacking it because Smith is a Villa fan.

My take on perspective is that expecting any manager to come in and radically change the performances on a week in, week out basis of a side designed to play Bruce style football is unrealistic and therefore lacks perspective.

That doesn’t mean that I’m happy or that I’m blindly supporting Smith but if we are going to start talking about sacking managers within four months of appointing them, then I guarantee we will be in this division for many years to come.

Sidcowanslovechild February 12, 2019 at 1:03 pm .

We should be better and I don’t why we’re not. Our players are better than the performances they give, why I don’t know. When Smith came he soon had us playing good football for a brief period and then suddenly not. I’m baffled.

For Everyone who says our players are not good enough…… Neil Taylor, possibly our poorest performer? However he played hundred of matches in the prem for a decent ball playing Swansea team and many international appearances. He is not and can not be a terrible player at championship level. And yet…….thats how he looks.

I don’t know the answer but it isn’t that our players are not good enough

Hitchens60 February 12, 2019 at 1:47 pm .

Sid – you make a good point about Taylor.

Two observations –

Imho he hasn’t looked the same player since the Coleman tackle and
      If you watched the Sheff Utd game he was continually left exposed on the left side trying to cover two players on his own. There was absolutely no tracking back by Kodjia and the midfield were continually pulled out of position.

Both are management issues.

sidcowanslovechild February 12, 2019 at 7:56 pm .

True about lack of cover but it doesn’t explain him letting players run past him in to the box and not making a challenge

Bill Pearson February 12, 2019 at 1:34 pm .

R.I.P Gordon Banks 81 years old.

Hitchens60 February 12, 2019 at 1:49 pm .

Sad day Bill – watching the World Cup Final in black and white on a tiny screen – never forget that summer of 66. But for me when I think of Banks, I think of that Pele save in 1970 – has there ever been a better save?

RIP Gordon Banks and thank you.

Jordo February 12, 2019 at 2:28 pm .

Never a truer word has just been spoken. The only persons that are ever present and give110% iare John McGinn and Tammy. It’s a real pity that the others aren’t up for it as this is a great club with good backing and l believe a good manager who does need time to rebuild. Travelling down from the Norheast to see this seasons performances is disappointing, however l live in hope that we can as a club and fan base build a culture and a team that can really succeed and get into and stay within the premiership. I can only dream that we reach this stage and dominate the game like we did in the 80’s, but we need to give Dean the chance of another season to turn this club around.

Joy February 12, 2019 at 6:03 pm .

I absolutely agree we must give smith more time. And get the players earning the money they should be crawling of the pitch with the effort they have put in, especially the lazy one JK mainly I also think people should get of Hutton’s back he always gives everything might not be perfect but gives everything.

Stephen February 12, 2019 at 6:32 pm .

Am I missing something here? Unless you’re a total moron it’s not difficult to assume that certain players know that they are history so, what’s the point in them playing their hearts out?
    Give the bloke a chance. We’ve glimpsed what he can do so stand tall and stay the course everyone. UTV

Holte66 February 12, 2019 at 6:41 pm .

Personally I have given up on this season. We might go on a winning run but I very much doubt it. In fact I expect Brentford to spank us tomorrow night, simply because their team, like most teams we come up against will be more up for it than us, especially to get one over Smith. We currently have two top players in this league in McGinn and Abraham, plus two injured with Grealish and Tuanzebe. For me all the others are average at best Championship players. Add to that most of them aren’t suited to Smiths style of play. Smith deserves a chance to recruit HIS players in a PROPER transfer window before we can fairly judge HIS team. If by end of November next season, just as I said for Bruce last season, we are nowhere near getting promotion, then we will have to forget the Villa fan tag and see if there is a better alternative. Currently there are no great options and we would only be creating a Groundhog Day scenario which will most likely limit our chances of being successful.

RIP Gordon Banks – England’s greatest goalkeeper!

Sidcowanslovechild February 12, 2019 at 8:02 pm .

Mings is a good player. Elphic decent. Kodjia, Adomah and Jedinak were once good, arguably still are but don’t show it. green good young player as is Bree. De Laet is our best full back, inexplicably out on loan. We have several decent keepers. Whelan is a decent defensive midfielder. It’s not about the quality it’s underperformance

Pat 57 February 12, 2019 at 9:11 pm .

Sometimes you can have quality players and still have a crap team. We’ve seen that over and over again when managers and owners have just thrown money at their problems. For a team to work the players must have the right qualities for the tactics that a manager wants to play.

That’s why, like many here, I’m saying that you have to give Smith at least one decent window (January doesn’t count) and a few months to see what he can do.

sidcowanslovechild February 12, 2019 at 10:10 pm .

True. Biggest example of that is the Villa team who got relegated. People said they were a poor team but look at the players who have gone on to be good . Idrissa Gueye, Verentout, Sinclair, Jordan Amavi, Grealish. Not to mention players who should have been good/ we’re once good, Lescott, Richards and I’m sure plenty I’ve forgotten.

Point is terrible team with good players. Why?