Villa1 – 2 Swansea; Sadly, Sherwood has to go. POLL

LISTEN: Tim Sherwood “It’s a game we should’ve won”

First let me say that I don’t think anyone can fault the effort today.
Sherwood said he’d be picking what he thought was his best side and there’s no doubt whatsoever to my mind that they ran their hearts out for the manager.
Indeed, we looked by far the better side in the first half, although we lacked what was required in the final third, which was only the same as per usual.

We even came out the stronger side in the second half and my thoughts were turning to how long it would last before Sherwood had to change players purely because they were burnt out, having given everything.

And then on the hour, after some really nice play, Jordan Ayew provided a careful, neat header to give us the lead.
1-0 it was and the crowd were absolutely buzzing and the atmosphere fantastic.

But as much as the players tried, it ultimately wasn’t good enough was it?
The lead only lasted a few minutes and Richards, who I thought had had a pretty decent game until then gave away a needless freekick just outside the area, pretty much right in front of the goal.
Guzan positioned himself and I’m sure I’m not the only one who was filled with trepidation.
How often has Guzan just looked like he’s totally in the wrong place from a free?
I’m know nothing about goalkeeping, but even I can see it and it’s been worrying for a long time.
And there was the reply for the equaliser.
Sigurdsson curled one over the wall and Richards, who jumped well, couldn’t stop it.
I’m sure we all knew where it was going and so it proved.

Don’t get me wrong, it was a great free kick, but a better goalie would have saved it and it’s simply a mistake that Guzan has made too many times. I really worry about him now.
After he’d done so well up to that point too.

The game opened up and Grealish came off for Gil.
Gabby had a chance or two, as did Lescott in the dying minutes, but in the 86th minute, Naughton crossed and there were three Swansea players ready to receive, all pretty much unmarked.
Andre Ayew got there first for a fairly easy close range shot to make it 1-2.

And then, that was it.
All over.

So Sherwood played his best side and said that this was a cup final and that we’d win it.
He’s been proved totally wrong on both counts and now I really don’t see where he has left to turn.
We needed the win today and simply didn’t get it.

He has to go, as although I still like him and think he’s been somewhat unlucky, he’s committed Hara-Kari with his statements.
It’s just a matter of if he walks or will the board act now.

I’ll put a poll up to see what you think, but I suspect I already know the answer.

1. 88 October 25, 2015 at 9:14 am . Reply

Last year PL managed to get us 10 points in the first 4 games and we squeaked relegation by 1 place. This year Tim has got 4 points in 10 games. Enough said.

However, I fear Randy won’t sack him, not because he is hopelessly out of his depth, or out of loyalty, but because of the run of fixtures we have got. Put a new man in now to face City, then go to Spurs Everton and Saints and he would be finished before he starts.

I expect Tim to get another month, then we will try to bring a miracle worker in to get us back from the dead before Christmas. Will it be too late?…. Probably

1. Hitchens 60 October 25, 2015 at 9:23 am . Reply

What’s the difference – we’re finished before we start that run of games anyway. Might be better to bring in a new manager ahead of a run of games where fans will have zero expectation anyway. Looks like we’ll be stuck on 4 points for quite some time – at least I’ve got a month in the sun to look forward to 4,000 miles from Villa Park with plenty of rum.

2. GIDDYVILLAN October 25, 2015 at 9:29 am . Reply

I do believe we’re now the worst team in the league Sunderland now have a 12th man in fat Sam.we fluked it last season & tbh should of been relegated.it feels like a slow & painful death but I’m now prepared for the worst.

1. Saddened October 25, 2015 at 9:47 am . Reply

Giddy it wont be slow , as i think we will be almost gone by Xmas…. But it could be painful !!

1. Hitchens 60 October 25, 2015 at 11:34 am . Reply

Painful is being relegated on the last day after living with hope for 38 games. I’m with you, reckon we’ll be gone long before the end if the season in which case I suspect most of us will have stopped bothering.

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath October 25, 2015 at 12:58 pm . Reply

Death by a thousand cuts

3. Im Ronny Pickering October 25, 2015 at 11:44 am . Reply

Your probably right Hitch reported some Yank put 10 grand on Villa to sack their manager,

4. jvillan October 25, 2015 at 12:38 pm . Reply

badger123
    it is but they are all on sherwoods back for tactics team selection dropping amavi

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath October 25, 2015 at 1:01 pm . Reply

He’s been sacked just announced http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34631549

5. nath ur barred October 25, 2015 at 1:04 pm . Reply

How many managers are we gonna go through, before we look further into the club. to see its rotten to the core. when a football manager isnt consulted in recruiting his playing staff and a non football person does the recruiting. alarm bells must be going off.

last season and years before we have had a bottom 5 finishes, reasons are either poor managers or poor finances handed to the managers. but for the board or who ever is running the show, to hand over just the money recouped in transfers only and not replace the players that left properly. all the summer signings had one thing in common. COULD be a good signing in the long haul, but not instant.

finally whos next ???? do we really care anymore. i really cant see this current squad as it stands surviving, true it will improve as players settle and get up to speed. but a football person would have known this and not made this amateur mistake.

oh and heard brad guzan is getting blamed for the first goal. i think sometimes you have to applaud the freekick. brads position looked spot on for me. the wall jumped, so hats off to the taker

back to the stone, i crawled from under 🙂