Villa – Wycombe; and general thoughts

Try as I might, I’m struggling to keep my interest in the FA cup alive at the moment, as much as I appreciate it for what it is.
The sad fact is it is of no real interest to me now, as even if we were to win it, it would pale into insignificance if we were to be relegated, so powerful is the pull of the Premier league these days.

And that’s a view that I somewhat despise myself for, as an eighth FA cup win has always been amongst my dreams as the only thing I’ve never seen the club win in my lifetime.

That’s what it’s down to though and as much as I admired the point against Leicester, a game where I thought we deserved all three points, I’m now seriously beginning to accept the fact that we’re down.
Similar to all season, we’ve had no luck whatsoever and all the relegation contenders aren’t losing in the way we would want.
It’s so sad to say, but I think we’re now beyond hope of surviving.
We just don’t have the time.

On a brighter note and sticking with the FA cup, then; as I hinted, I strongly believe in what it is and what it does.
Regardless of my somewhat bleak mood, it’s superb for the smaller clubs.
I’ll bet Gareth Ainsworth, the Wycombe manager, was well chuffed when his side managed to bring us back to Villa park.
They had a full house at their ground and couple that with a nice six figure sum from this fixture, hopefully they’re keeping the wolf from the door for another season at least.

Let’s not forget lads; as much as things are currently bleak for us, so they’re a lot worse for clubs lower down the leagues and anything that gives a club a serious injection of cash, has to be a good thing.

Onto an even brighter note, I now expect us to have enough about us to win this game, as long as Remi doesn’t mess it up by changing it about too much.
We can’t afford any complacency, but should be able to give Richards, Clark and perhaps a couple of others a run out.

I’d seriously expect Gabby to start from a purely footballing point of view and if he doesn’t, well, my guess is he’ll never wear the Claret and Blue again, regardless of if he gets a loan/transfer in what remains of the window or not.
Reading between the lines, I’m not convinced he’ll start.
Which will only back up what I’ve thought for a fair while; he’s got ideas above his station and being “Mr Aston Villa” isn’t going to save him.
So watch him start then.
Or maybe not, as Barry Norman (aimed at the old timers amongst us, sorry) would have said.

Prediction time and it’s a brief 2-1 to us.
No particular reason, apart from I just feel it in my water.
It’s a rubbish reason, I know, but let’s face it, I’m on a roll, where I actually predicted the Leicester game correctly; a first this season, I think.

Hey, there’s a big plus in that, in that I’m predicting we’ll score 2!!!!

I’ve been strapped for time, which slightly explains why I didn’t post a review of Saturday’s game, but I thought while I’ve got a chance, I might as well give my opinion of what’s going on in the transfer window.
Well, it doesn’t take much working out does it?

We’re not getting anyone in, is basically the simple way to say it.
I think we all knew it really and the stories about Garde supposedly demanding funds for players who might save us are simply total sphericals.
Yes, some sources might link us with supposed top players, but they’re not realistic are they?

I’d maybe expect the odd £5 mill or so for Remi to splash out with, but the big emphasis is now undoubtedly “take them off our hands, PLEASE!”

Who’d entertain Gabby at around £65k a week?

See, I knew I’d make you laugh at the end of this post.

A win.
You heard it here first, remember.

UTV

1. GIDDYVILLAN January 20, 2016 at 1:59 pm . Reply

I still to this day I think 2 countries vying for his services did him no favours his ego must of been bursting.

1. bws January 20, 2016 at 2:05 pm . Reply

I think that decision was purely a financial one but what if he never gets the call for England? He’s going to have to eat one extra large slice of humble pie to get back in with the Irish.

2. GIDDYVILLAN January 20, 2016 at 2:14 pm . Reply

I agree he can’t even get into the England U21’s.shame he wasnt from Malta.

1. cavillan January 20, 2016 at 3:33 pm . Reply

Thing is he is still a teenager according to the press. He’s been playing in a truely woeful Villa team, under multiple managers. He missed the last 3 games through illness, and he is drafted in for an FA Cup game with the bomb squad mark 2.

For the manager to come out in the media and slam him individually for his performance, even though the entire team/squad is sub-standard and played shit is not helping. Fergie kept everything in-house, particularly with young players at Utd, and he reaped the rewards.

Seems Villa haven’t figured out how to treat young players still.

1. bws January 20, 2016 at 4:03 pm . Reply

He’s 20 going on 21 hardly a teenager and so at what age does a player stop being a precocious talent and start to become a prima donna?
        Rooney at 16 was scoring last-minute winning goals against Arsenal, if the talents there.

1. Stubbs January 20, 2016 at 4:44 pm . Reply

Grealish is overrated. You want to see a player with the right attitude and desire to succeed look no further than Dele Ali at Spurs. If Grealish had the same attitude as Ali then maybe he’d start to fulfill the talent he allegedly has.

2. marvin January 20, 2016 at 6:59 pm . Reply

The issues is Grealish, a grown man, is acting like a teenager and has himself made the clubs business public with his off the pitch shenanigans. He no longer is an academy player but a well paid first team member of the squad, as such he has to be held to the same standards as everyone else.

Nevertheless Garde coming out in the press to publicly make an example of Grealish is exactly the sort of wake up call the young player needs. He’s not improving and/or trying of late. Personally I think Garde would be doing the team and Grealish a disfavor by coddling him and telling him his poor performance is acceptable. We are bottom of the table and if a player cannot get motivated now to improve himself he never will. And much like Garde, I don’t have the time of day for any player if they don’t show the effort.

3. Colonius81 January 20, 2016 at 10:27 pm . Reply

He wasn’t “slammed” lets not lose the run of ourselves,
        Here is what he said:

“You saw the game,” said Garde. “Jack started and it was his first for quite a long time now, but I haven’t seen exactly what I wanted to see from him tonight.

“I know he has played in the part of the game when we were not good collectively, when we were disappointing for the first hour or so. But then we started to play more collectively and simple.

“But it’s not only about Jack; I was not happy with the way the team played the first hour. We were the Premier League team but for too long tonight I did not see that.”

Was the interviewer not asking about Jack? did he not have an ineffective game for us?
        the above is hardly Slamming or singling out .. they were all rubbish and he was asked about one and he said he expected more from him but he has been out, and the rest of the team were not performing either?

some of ye should write for the red tops!

3. sammy_morgans_jock_strap January 20, 2016 at 4:54 pm . Reply

My bad, he has turned 20 now. He spent 3 seasons out on loan under Lambert, and received rave reviews. Sherwood brought him into the first team at the tail end of last season and he looked like a great prospect for the future. Now the new manager is singling him out for personal criticism in the media even though the entire team are shit. Whether you think Grealish is a prospect or not, it’s not the way to manage young players if you want them to succeed.

Players making it in the premier league at 16 is not normal, Rooney was the exception.

1. bws January 20, 2016 at 5:53 pm . Reply

Alrighty then how about one Gary Shaw, debut in 77 scored 12 goals the following season or how about Francis down the Blues in the 70’s hitting 4 against Bolton at the tender age of 16? Or more up to date Harry Kane, in his first full season he netted 21 times in 34 games.
      As I said earlier -if the talents there.

4. Jvillan January 20, 2016 at 5:04 pm . Reply

Think grealish got very bad advice in Autumn, changing allegiance from Ireland who he played all underage football to England where he going to be small fish in tank full of sharks.
    But think remi garde being very unfair picking him out just say Westwood missed sitters in 2/3 matches ,got booked in injury time v Norwich for an assault on touchline gave away pen first match v Wycombe never a bad word about one of the most consistent crap midfielder in my time asa fan over 40 years afan Westwood onhis 4 season without getting 5 goals or10 assists

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath January 20, 2016 at 6:27 pm . Reply

Difference is Westwood is shit but probably has a better attitude

1. Colonius81 January 20, 2016 at 10:23 pm . Reply

and also what you see is what you get with westwood, not much hope of him improving at this point. Grade is trying to develop Grealish

5. marvin January 20, 2016 at 5:31 pm . Reply

Garde is justified in calling out Grealish. To be honest, I’m glad Garde is making an example of him. Regardless if Grealish had a sore tooth or recently came off antibiotics he has still been underperforming for some time now. Let it be the international talk or just having a bad attitude in general he is holding himself back and he only has himself to blame.

I also agree with Garde’s comment about Lyden – he may not be a world beater but he at least puts the work and commitment in for the team. Grealish is undoubtedly talented but if he doesn’t show up or put the hard work in what’s the point. Messi didn’t become Messi by just showing up.

6. Bill Pearson January 20, 2016 at 6:22 pm . Reply

Lads, I put it down to attitude, if you or I had that talent I’m sure we would want to show the world I would, he doesn’t show improvement from last year breaking onto the first team, we don’t hear of new hopefuls or how good they are.

1. Hitchens 60 January 20, 2016 at 6:46 pm . Reply

Garde needs to bring him back down to earth – interesting that the much reviled Lambert said Grealish wasn’t ready for the first team. Sherwood bigged him up then he had a blinder in the semi and we had all the ‘choose your country’ hype as if he was a shoe in for the national squad. Now thinks he has nothing to prove!

I think it was Shankly who said – ‘is he an ordinary player having a great game or is he a great player having an ordinary game’. At the moment young Jack fits the first category.

7. GIDDYVILLAN January 20, 2016 at 8:22 pm . Reply

VILLA making a move for vidic source the Sun.LOL

8. Hitchens 60 January 20, 2016 at 10:17 pm . Reply