Villa-Swansea; Which eleven?

I think the two main issues we’re all thinking about are which team Dean Smith will pick and how he’s going to set them up against a very decent footballing side, in Swansea.

The first part is anyone’s guess, as we have a wealth of options in the middle and up front. The defence is another question, but I’d think the manager won’t be going with Jedinak in the centre, as he’ll surely be massively aware of how we’ve complained about the Aussie in that position.

Chester and Tuanzebe makes most sense,then.

Otherwise, I’m not convinced Smith will change much around, as he won’t have seen much or had time to work with a lot of the squad, because of international duties.

I think he’ll be more interested in seeing how players take his instructions on board, mostly, but even so, there’s still a myriad of choices. What we can be sure of, is that there won’t be any favouritism.

And it’s those instructions that will prove most interesting. Smith will have seen videos of us and he’s probably spotted a few problems, with our main one being a lack of intensity and pace.

Whoever gets picked, they’ll be playing for their shirts and I do expect a performance from them, especially when buoyed by a massive home crowd. But it’s that frailty in the defence that worries me.

Does that mean Smith will go all out attack to counter this? It’s a nice thought, but one that could see us punished, hence I don’t see it.

Without doubt, the manager will have had plenty of food for thought and I’m not going to try and guess the side or even our formation.

Which makes my prediction a pure guess.

Villa to win, 2-1, mainly because of our home advantage.

I really hope so anyway, as we need a result.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
  1. Bum Bum October 18, 2018 at 9:38 pm .

I wonder who Terry will select to model into a replica of himself?

1. Big Fat Ron October 18, 2018 at 10:45 pm .

Hopefully one of our youngsters!

2. Bum Bum October 18, 2018 at 10:33 pm .
    1. Big Fat Ron October 18, 2018 at 10:46 pm .

Long overdue. “Other uses of force” sounds particularly wrong, given they’d already tazered him! :/

3. Texas Johnny October 19, 2018 at 4:01 pm .

Is Chester not still suspended? My worry is if he is, who replaces him.

1. Hitchens60 October 19, 2018 at 5:10 pm .

No, he only got a one game ban – apparently shouldn’t even have been sent off under the new rules!

4. Bill Pearson October 19, 2018 at 8:17 pm .

Nice jester from the Villa,

The arrival of Dean Smith as the new Aston Villa Head Coach has had ticket sales surging – so much so, that we’re now running an offer for three of our home matches over the next few months.

This weekend’s encounter with Swansea City is a complete sell-out, while the Second City Derby with Birmingham City and the Christmas fixture against Leeds United are also likely to return full houses.

As a result, we’re now offering a combination package for the remaining games of 2018, against Bolton Wanderers, Nottingham Forest and Stoke City, meaning like Smith, fans can come home for the new era this autumn.

Adults can get a three-match pass for just £45 – an average of £15 per game that saves you more than 25% compared to three single match tickets.

U18s can also save more than 50% and attend the treble of Villa Park matches for £12.
    Reports Birmingham mail.

5. Benno October 20, 2018 at 3:49 am .

Be really interesting to see who he picks tomorrow. Tough call after a few days training.

Hopefully the occasion and sell out crowd is enough to get us to 3 points. If we can start well under Smith, then we’ll snowball all the way back to the Premier League!!

6. nath October 20, 2018 at 9:00 am .

players i think will get more game time now under smith, Bree Lansbury and Hogan all where really good at their last club and all where not given a chance to show their worth. Hogan was made to play the lone man and was starved of any decent service. Lansbury and Bree both never given a good run of games and a system they needed.

Smith will not be crossing the ball from the byline thats not his game. unless he decides to change this to play to our supposed strengths. if he sees Grealish and Hogan as key, he will try to work openings down the middle, neat one twos balls which Hogan as proved he loves. Smith uses the wingers to stretch the opposition but instead of crossing a hopeful ball onto a forwards head, they usually feed it back inside on the floor, to a Grealish type who will find Hogan who darts inside or a Lansbury running from deep.

its a style which is very different but once the players get used to will be very exciting, fans will need to be patient as we wont be throwing balls into the box hopefully like before. they will switch play over and over looking and probing. with our players this is the correct way to play. hopefully wont take long to implement

3 1 to villa today

7. Holte66 October 20, 2018 at 9:29 am .

I read that Houllier was the last Villa manager to win his first game. Hopefully this means we are overdue a win for Smith today. Let’s hope he plays players in their favoured positions. For me it would be Chester and Tuanzebe at CB. I would like to see Bree get a chance at RB. Question is Taylor or Hutton at LB? I would have two holding players in Bjarnasson and Hourihane with McGinn LM, Grealish CM and Bolasie RM leaving either Abraham, Kodja or Hogan CF. I would keep Abraham for tomorrow but I would like to see Hogan given an opportunity because he is our player whereas Abraham will be gone after this season most likely. I would love to have gone today but will make do with radio commentary. I’m forecasting a 2-1 win but whatever happens we need to be patient because until January our defence will be dodgy.

8. Holte66 October 20, 2018 at 9:35 am .

Forgot to name my choice of goalkeeper. Erm can we play rush back? Is Spink still available?

9. DSVilla October 20, 2018 at 10:59 am .

I feel a win coming today. the crowd and the feel good factor will drive us forward. Fingers crossed.