Villa- Liverpool; A sneaky feeling

It doesn’t get much tougher than this does it?
Liverpool are in my opinion, are the best side in the world at the moment and I firmly believe they’ll win the league.

So after sticking a fiver on them to beat Spurs (and losing), I think they’ve probably just had their worst run they’ll get for the rest of the season.
I know, they dropped two points is all.

Still, it proves that they are not totally invincible and you can get something against them.
We do have it in our favour that we only got beat 1-0 on their turf last time out and I don’t need to mention the major arse-kicking that we gave them, so maybe Klippety will be more cautious than usual?
Then again, I doubt it. He doesn’t do that, does he? and it’s probably why Liverpool are everyone’s favourites from the top however many clubs.
They play cracking football.

Squad news and on our part, Jacob Ramsey is still out. I’ve already said I’m not bothered by that. Is it a coincidence that we looked miles better without him on Saturday?
Kortney Hause is also out, as is Leon Bailey, our latest sicknote.
Gerrard has said that the squad will be very similar to that against Burnley.
Which makes sense. Why change what worked well?

Liverpool have Klopp moaning as per usual about the squad, but the actuality is that they’re in good shape and Roberto Firmino might well make it after being out for a good while. Otherwise, they have no issues.

Liverpool might look a bit down and out now they lag Man city for the title race and they have a cup final at the weekend, but I don’t think for one minute they’ll play a weakened side. Even if they did, it would still be seriously strong and probably enough to beat us.
Even so, I have a feeling and that’s all it is, that we might actually beat them.

I can’t back my feeling up with anything at all.
Liverpool have by far the better team and should beat us easily.
But it doesn’t always work like that, which is why we all love footy, isn’t it?

I’m going for a hopeful 1-1 as my realistic prediction, but you just never know.
I think I’m going to stick a tenner on Pool to win. Well, it’s a numbers game isn’t it?

Here’s hoping and UTV!

1. Hitchens60
    Hitchens60 May 13, 2022 at 7:02 am . Reply

Gerrard’s quote on announcing the signing of Coutinho.

‘As we look to build towards next season it’s incredible to work at a club that does it’s business so decisively and smoothly’

For all the concerns voiced on the selection of some of the signings we’ve made (and every club gets it wrong at times) Purslow and Lange do work well in the transfer market.

It will be interesting to see who Gerrard has asked them to get this summer – and who he doesn’t rate in the current squad.

2. Holte
    Holte May 13, 2022 at 5:33 pm . Reply

Based on previous transfer windows, we tend to get most of our business done early. I’m sure Gerrard has already identified who he wants, so hopefully we will see signings of equal calibre as Coutinho.
    The next two games will be important in getting a top half finish against teams we should beat with home advantage. The last game against City will be interesting if Pool are still in contention. Gerrard will want to do his utmost to prevent a Villa defeat if it costs Pool the title. Unfortunately for him I can’t see any hope of spoiling Peps day.

3. William Pearson
    William Pearson May 13, 2022 at 7:09 pm . Reply

I agree Badger, it does ponder as to how did Villa pull that deal off? ,I have to say his first few game I was in cloud 7 thinking hey we’re going places. But lately he’s no better than Buendia and is this an ex player helping a mate out in the game. We all can only wait and see if it pans out to be a good move or not.

4. Holte
    Holte May 13, 2022 at 8:57 pm . Reply

My biggest worry is no matter how well Buendia plays, Coutinho will always be Gerrard’s favourite and first pick. I think there is room for both in the starting line up. Coutinho playing left and Buendia right with Watkins or Ings or another playing down the middle.
    It’s a relatively small fee so we have done well to get business done early. I would like to think he is happy at Villa and that’s the main reason he put pen to paper early. I’m sure there would have been options for him if he had waited till the summer window.

1. Hitchens60
      Hitchens60 May 13, 2022 at 10:01 pm . Reply

That is also my concern Holte and it’s something I’ve voiced previously.

In regard to the Coutinho deal, I do think in this instance Gerrard was pivotal – it seems Coutinho trusts him and is looking for someone he feels can help him to re-establish a career that has tailed off in the last few years.

I also think Purslow and Lange are extremely good negotiators in the transfer market – whatever other concerns we may have about them.

1. The Ron Saunders Stand
        The Ron Saunders Stand May 13, 2022 at 11:40 pm . Reply

Lads rejoice!!
        Don’t you have to pinch yourself that we have two players of such quality?

5. Sidforever
    Sidforever May 14, 2022 at 7:59 am . Reply

How far we have come!

Great to see us fans debating Coutinho v Buendia.

Let’s not forget that when Liverpool sold him Coutinho to Barcelona our next match two days later was against Nottingham Forest in the Championship. We have come a long way.

A big well done to NSWE.

I must admit it’s great to see signings of players we could never have attracted before. Although I get more pleasure from seeing one of our youth players make it. I await with interest who from the current youth crop we have will make it. Further, we still seem to be hoovering up young talent.

Onwards and upwards.

6. Bum Bum
    Bum Bum May 15, 2022 at 9:02 am . Reply

Palace today. Gotta be a win.