Villa – Brentford; A “must win”?

Yes, I know.
It’s a phrase that’s used all the time, but is this game a “must win”?.
On the face of it, it probably isn’t really, as the season will not be decided by what happens in the next couple of weeks.
But in a sense it is, if we want to get our season up and running, as there’s a nagging worry that if we don’t start winning soon we’ll get into a rut where not winning becomes the norm.
And while I still believe we’re going to give some team a tonking, I don’t think it’s going to happen tonight.

Like or loathe him, Ian Holloway has us down to lose this one and whatever you think of him, his punditry has been not far off the mark up to now. I’m just hoping he’s wrong this time.

Brentford were predicted to struggle this season after having sold a few players, but it seems Dean Smith, Brentford’s manager (who’s also a Villa fan) has bought well and they’ve actually had a decent start. A win for them tonight would have them challenging for the play-off places, but that’s not something I want to think about.
In contrast a win for us tonight would only move us up a couple of places, but that’s not so important at the moment.
More important is that we get the three points because, well, it’ll just be good for the soul won’t it?
The players will have their confidence lifted and we’ll all feel a sense of relief.

Squad news then and it’s looking quite good for us.
Mile Jedinak, Aaron Tshibola and Albert Adomah will hopefully all be available, which would give Di Matteo a nice problem selection-wise and if they are truly fit, I’d expect all three of them to start, with Gardner and Westwood dropping to the bench. But this is Westwood we’re talking about and it really wouldn’t surprise me if he retains his place.
There’s also the problem, if you can call it that, of who drops out if Adomah starts?
I don’t see how it can be Ayew, as he’s looked our best bet on the whole, so that leaves McCormack or Gestede.
It depends on how the manager sees the game being played out, I suppose.
Whatever, it’s a nice situation for us to be in and the bench will immediately look quite decent.

There’s been talk that the Villa players have been over-confident and have been backing off in games, a theory that is supposed to be the reason we only seem to play half a game.
I’m not convinced myself, but regardless, it’s one thing we cannot allow to happen tonight.
Brentford are obviously no mugs and they have the ability to punish us if we do get complacent.
We need to be 100% on the ball and if we are, there’s no reason why we can’t win this game.

And that’s my prediction; a 2-1 Villa win.
Please, pretty please.

giddyvillan September 14, 2016 at 1:11 pm .

I’m not getting my hopes up like I have done so a1-1 for me.

Dave67 September 14, 2016 at 3:40 pm .

A win is needed to give us fans some confidence and the team. If we have a full squad available no excuses for Westwood and Gardner to be on the pitch. Draw written all over this , come on Villa give us 3pts.

pat57 September 14, 2016 at 4:43 pm .

We shouldn’t be considering anything but a win at ‘fortress Villa’ so just shows you how far we’ve still got to go.

A bit of luck would be nice for a change though.

So Villa to win through a Brentford OG

Bill Pearson September 14, 2016 at 5:48 pm .

Ok I’ll open the score, 2-1 Villa , lads the turn has come for putting smiles on our face.we will win this one. Oohah eat your words mate its a win.

Jimbo September 14, 2016 at 6:51 pm .

Line up looks attacking, certainly going for it which is good to see, going to be positive, the luck has to go our way some time, 3-0 villa, shame Westwood is playing

Dave.C September 14, 2016 at 6:55 pm .

Dean Smith was a bit of a hero down here in Herefordshire, I remember him heading home an equaliser for Hereford against Spurs in the F.A. Cup 3rd round many years ago. I’m really glad his management career is going well, but Brentford have a couple of injuries tonight. They are, on current form better than Forest, but surely with the huge sums of money we’ve spent we should win. Viila 2-1 for me.

nath September 14, 2016 at 7:01 pm .

5 nil villa

are all games must win lmao anyways like bill said other day i agree with. just one win now will kick off our season. we just need lady luck to shine down on us for once. any links on this game or am i watching ceefax

jvillan September 14, 2016 at 7:03 pm .

no grealish or adomoah in squad tish injured and wastewood starts

nath September 14, 2016 at 7:07 pm .

and theirs a hole in my bucket as well . kodjia gestede ayew mccormack that’s a good front line.

jvillan September 14, 2016 at 9:53 pm .

7 goals in 8 games including luton from almost 40m of crap nath
          rdm out clueless

badger123 September 14, 2016 at 7:39 pm .

Not a chance of a stream anywhere Nath, I’m afraid.
    And it seems AVTV has gone down too 🙁
    Radio WM (not online) will have the commentary, I believe.

nath September 14, 2016 at 7:44 pm .

i have looked everywhere bein tv all other nothing but they are on radio on 5live extra best i can do 🙁 cheers for looking for me

marvin September 14, 2016 at 7:41 pm .

A bit frustrated about the OS being down.

jvillan September 14, 2016 at 7:56 pm .

marc albrighton scores leiscter first champions league goal