Villa – Boro; No doubt a weakened side, but some good news too

For those who don’t already know, I hate the fact that we play weakened sides in the cups.
I believe we should play every game to do our utmost to win, simple.

I can hear your thoughts straight away.
“It’s a waste of time and only detracts from our efforts in the league”.
Which is fair comment.
To which I’d reply, we 100% ain’t going to win the Champion’s league, the Premiership title or even the FA cup.
The realist in me says we won’t win the Championship title either.
So why not go for a piece of silverware that we might actually be able to win?

“That’s unrealistic” I hear you cry.
Except it isn’t.
I’m sure we all remember Leicester winning the Prem against the odds.
And even a certain team beating Arsenal in this very cup.

The point is, if you don’t even try, you have no chance. And it annoys me, especially when we supposedly have the best squad in the league by some distance.

Still, the realist in me accepts that I’m in the minority in thinking like that and actually going for it isn’t going to happen. So we’re going to play a bunch of second raters, the likes of McCormack or Gabby etc, who lumped together, probably won’t achieve much.
The plus is that we might see good performances from a couple of the kids, but a lot depends on the side Boro put out.
If it’s fairly strong, I’d expect them to be favourites for this game, hence I’d rather see any kids dripped into the league gradually instead of thrown into a game we probably won’t win.

And then, let’s say we do manage to win and get to the very interesting stages of the cup, we’ll no doubt play the “top eleven” or so, meaning those who got us there get dropped. That’s unfair and has to be demoralising, surely?
I just can’t stand the weakened team approach.

In short, if we play a majorly weakened side, I’ll be reduced to not giving a toss about the game too.
Because if the club doesn’t care about the cup, why should the fans bother?
Which is a shame; because it’s still remotely achievable silverware, imo.

Of course I’ll still be hoping for the win, but well, hopefully you see my point somewhat.
I’ll go for a 2-1 win, purely because I don’t want to predict a loss, just when it seems things might be picking up.
Which reminds me, I didn’t even mention the momentum thing did I?
Oh well.

In good news, Tony Xia has pretty much refuted any rumours that he’s looking to sell up;

A lack of managerial continuity would be bad enough, but a change of owner would be totally disastrous.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
    DSVilla September 19, 2017 at 9:29 pm .

All a bit predictable really. Poor manager picks understrength side and fails to coach/motivate them to victory at home against an ordinary team fielding a weakened side.

We are screwed until he is bulleted. Anybody who thinks differently needs to get real. There is not a hope in hell that Bruce will get us promoted this season.

originallondonlion September 19, 2017 at 9:39 pm .

Yes, he struggles with the main problem, and shows no aptitude to solve a different one. He is a disappointment, but there are plenty worse out there which Villa might pick as replacement.

DSVilla September 19, 2017 at 9:44 pm .

Yes. If we tried hard we could do worse. There are plenty better, but we have hamstrung ourselves by not dealing with the situation in the summer. I don’t trust the club to make a better appointment, but sticking with Bruce will get us nowhere.

The club seems incompetent throughout and i don’t see it getting better.

I’m totally demoralised TBH.

Villain1 September 19, 2017 at 9:46 pm .

The 11k attendance tonight shows the whole fanbase is demoralised. Waste of time and energy nowadays as you know it’s going to be a let down before you even enter the ground.

DSVilla September 19, 2017 at 9:51 pm .

after years as a season ticket holder I gave up at the end of the McLeish season. It was just a negative experience.

I kind of want to go back, and feel that maybe I shouldn’t be commenting since I no longer turn up for games.

I need something to restore my enthusiasm and there is nothing there at the moment.

OohAhPaulMcGrath September 19, 2017 at 10:31 pm .

Don’t blame them no one cares about this rubbish competition anymore they should scrap it

OohAhPaulMcGrath September 19, 2017 at 10:32 pm .

Agree he has to go

Villain1 September 19, 2017 at 9:42 pm .

Wonder if Bruce will be out having a pop at the fans again tonight……..why oh why is the board so naive in delaying this inevitable sacking

OohAhPaulMcGrath September 19, 2017 at 10:32 pm .

Bruce out

Guest September 19, 2017 at 10:42 pm .

Bruce out.

jvillan September 19, 2017 at 11:34 pm .

bruce out
    what the fuck does he think giving hutton a game at expense of bree
    bruce out tomorrow

Andrew September 20, 2017 at 12:26 am .

Bruce admitted that he expected before the game that the team he put out could get the job done. So there’s no excuse for why they didn’t. He didn’t wanna go out of the cup as he said the team despite being a mix of experienced and youth that they should be able to get through.

The largest problem that wasn’t addressed, instead of getting rid of Bruce, was depth in defense. No back up left back, shit back ups at center back and we’re still pretending Hutton is a footballer, yet he’s been shit since we signed him, When Elphick and Samba are your back ups at center back, you know you’re screwed. And Richards being what, 5th choice? I’d rather use the u12s center backs than any of those 3. Yeah he tried addressing elsewhere but we failed to address backups and if Chester or Terry go down, we could be in real trouble if it’s not addressed in January.

Adam September 20, 2017 at 9:42 am .

At the end of the day it was the mickey mouse cup. The winner gets no credit unless the winner is man united you cant qualify for europe so weve not lost anything. Id rather put our all in to the league. Bruce gave a few the opportunity to show him they should be playing every week and they didnt turn up so it will have just re-assured him theyre not good enough. Which is great because it means he wont play them in the league games which is where the performance matters. We will beat forrest sat night and the table will start looking a bit better

JohnDoyle September 20, 2017 at 4:18 pm .

You lot need to wake up and smell the coffee that old codger bruce pulls a win out of the bag every few games to just about save his job 3-0 against possibly the worst team we played this year and so called fans and happy clappers licking Bruces ar sehole face facts we are 18th in the fizzy pop shyte league with the most expensive assembled squads this league has seen and yet again a home and winnable game we manage 1 pathetic shot on target yet again and let boro score 2 when they have struggled to score all season

Lets cut to the chase and face facts Bruce has had time, he had money, he bought in his old guard players that should be retired elhomanady terry samba whelan players with no resale value whatsover, on top of the millions he spent and people get excited to win 1 game 3-0 and when the carabanana cup is played they say ‘oh it dont matter it was only a crap cup anyways’ its absolute bull shyte when will people wake up and face facts The dinosaur bruce should be harpooned now this is not going to get any better than the odd win here and there come christmas this shower of absolute shyte will still be nowhere near the top 6 and Bruce and all his little fanboys will still be ledsling out the excuses about having time

Bruces time has gone the game has moved on, he hasnt its as simple as that we will have another draw or loss at weekend and then we will win again, followed by another few drab draws and losses and then it will repeat and repeat villa was a fortress at once now teams are not scared they know bruce is gonna stick 9 behind the ball and they will have free run of the ball

He needs to be sacked now

Villain1 September 20, 2017 at 9:04 pm .

Spot on, the old style managers like Redknapp and Bruce are finished now.
      As you say, we’ll win the odd game, everyone starts commenting on how we might turn the corner and then the same old garbage just resurfaces.
      Bruce’s only response is to criticise the very fans he lets down 99% of weekends, it a sign of a desperate man who knows his days are numbered. He did the same when he failed at Sunderland, got his excuses in before he was sacked.

jvillan September 20, 2017 at 5:30 pm .

all behind john doyle agree/disagree
    agree

Guest September 20, 2017 at 6:18 pm .

John Doyle AKA JVillan.

I do agree though, he has to go.

Adam September 21, 2017 at 1:13 pm .

Personally I dont see any manager coming in that will have an immediate impact. Then the bruce out brigade will be calling for the next man to be sacked. Its a vicious cirlce that we see time and time again. Why dont we do something different to change that?? I.e. keep a manager for stability and continuity, even when things arent exactly rosie. Whats the worst that can happen..Bruce gets sacked anyway and we start again but at least we will have tried something different.

jvillan September 21, 2017 at 2:51 pm .

lambert got 2.5 years look at how that turned out,we need to get smarter at picking manager,too many at wrong time houiller garde,some who never should got the shout mcleish bruce

Andrew September 21, 2017 at 9:41 pm .

Stability would be great. However when you’re shit at what you do, you don’t keep a manager just for stability. You just don’t keep managers for the sake of keeping the same manager because you’re tired of sacking managers. That is literally the worst idea one could ever have.

What could go wrong? Oh I don’t know. Not going up? Getting killed on FFP because we spent so much money under Di Matteo and Bruce (the latter especially on ridiculous wages). That would be a start on what could happen. You never, ever, ever, ever keep a manager for stability when they can’t do their job correctly. That’s exactly what causes the job to be unstable.