Villa – Blues; the big one again….. Vote as to who will win

There you go, it’s right at the top of the post, so you can vote and don’t have to read my prattle if you don’t want to.

I have to confess that I’m worried about this one.
We’ve had a great run in winning six games out of six and when you’re having such a good run, thoughts have to turn to when that run will eventually end, as it surely has to.

Unfortunately, Blues seem to have turned their very poor form around and they’ve won four, drawn one and lost one of their last six, while also scoring a lot of goals compared to previously in the season.
Couple this with the fact that I’m not so Gung-ho in my thinking these days and I see this very much as a major banana skin that we need to avoid, if we’re to continue in our challenge for second in the league.

It’s not that I think Blues are as good as us, it’s just the fact that it’s a derby, where we all know the odd simple mistake can decide the game.

So what do we know?

We’re in very good nick, with only the usual long-term sufferers being out.
Lewis Grabben has trained this week, so might get a few minutes, depending on how the game goes, but you’d have to expect that Steve Bruce will yet again make very few, if any at all, changes to the starting eleven.

On the Blues’ part (and I really couldn’t care less) full-back Jonathan Grounds is out with a knee injury.
Winger Jacques Maghoma might make it, after missing the last couple of weeks with a groin problem.

None of it really matters, as it’s all about who wants it the most when it comes to the second city derby, in my opinion.

We’re the better/bigger club, by a mile.
We have the better first X1 and squad.
We have the better everything; it’s as simple as that.
As we all know.

But it means nothing, as derbies are on a level only equalled by the FA cup, in that everything goes out the window.
Where the result can massively inflate/deflate a club’s confidence either way.

That said, the bookies have us as odds-on favourites and they’re no mugs.
And as much as I’m worried about this one, so I refuse to think that the scum can beat us on our own patch.

I’m going for a 2-1 win.
I don’t give a toss who gets the goals and I don’t care how we go about it.
As long as we out-work and out-fight the toe-rags.

The word is that Steve Bruce is hoping to be at the game, after the sad loss of his father, combined with his mother’s ill health.
He has my sincere condolences and I suspect he will indeed make it, purely because he won’t be able to resist such an interesting game. That, plus work takes your mind off things, I’ve found.

Fingers crossed for that Villa win.

UTV!

Page 5 of 6 1 3 4 5 6
  1. Bill Pearson
    Bill Pearson February 11, 2018 at 7:48 pm .

Think most on here thought that Hitch, just hope the big clubs don’t step in for him, his interviews showed how passionate he is to Villa.Think he will get a call for England soon.

2. Andrew
    Andrew February 11, 2018 at 10:37 pm .

Grealish won’t leave us unless we don’t go up. And then if we do go up, if we go back down, then he’d leave as well. But he’s Villa through and through. Was a great performance bar maybe 10 minutes at the end of the first half. But we were far better than them for the majority of the game. Hogan should’ve had a couple and Grealish was absolutely brilliant. If we can win at Fulham then we’ll be well on our way.

3. pat57
    pat57 February 12, 2018 at 10:05 am .

Just woke up to realise that we are in an automatic promotion place for the first time and we did it by beating Small Heath too. It was a good win based on sound tactics and a bit of real quality play.

Seven wins in a row. They say confidence breeds confidence and we can only hope that the team is now a good place mentally. We will lose some games but hopefully we have some resilience about us now and we’ll bounce back.

Next game is going to be a good one. Two form teams and Fulham will be hard to beat at home but I have a feeling that we can do it! Still I’d settle for a draw right now.

UTV

4. Bum Bum
    Bum Bum February 13, 2018 at 7:21 am .

Has everyone got their Bolton an Sheffield Wednesday scarves and hats ready for tonight?????

1. Hitchens60
      Hitchens60 February 13, 2018 at 10:36 am .

Sure have Bum Bum – neither game on TV though.

Interesting article in the Mirror that claims the combination of Grealish’s freak injury and the influence of John Terry have combined to change his attitude – to become a man if you like. Add the ‘fatherly’ influence and stability brought by Bruce and the result is for all to see.

So often we moan about the failure of youngsters that come through the kids / academy at the Villa and, at one time Jack seemed to be heading in the same way. No more – time to celebrate one of our own and pray we don’t do a ‘Cahill’ again.

5. Holte 66
    Holte 66 February 13, 2018 at 6:40 pm .

It will be difficult to keep our winning run going at Fulham on Saturday, but if we do win we will have equalled a run under Sir Ron back in 1975. It will be interesting to see if Jedinak or Bjarnasson gets to play. Fulham are more mobile than Small Heath so I would prefer Bjarnasson for his stamina, although I think Jedinak will get the nod. Everyone else should keep their place. Just wondering if Kodja was fit would we be better? I reckon Hogan contributes more team wise, so if he got back to fitness I would be tempted to have him as an impact substitute, unless he could play Adomah’s role.

6. VillaAwayInDiv3
    VillaAwayInDiv3 February 13, 2018 at 8:06 pm .

1 nil to Sheff Weds…….
    nil nil Cardiff

7. VillaAwayInDiv3
    VillaAwayInDiv3 February 13, 2018 at 8:29 pm .

1 nil to Sheff Weds…….
    1 nil to Cardiff

8. VillaAwayInDiv3
    VillaAwayInDiv3 February 13, 2018 at 8:34 pm .

1 nil to Sheff Weds…….
    2 nil to Cardiff

Half Time

9. Hitchens60
    Hitchens60 February 13, 2018 at 8:50 pm .

2-0 Wednesday

10. Owen
    Owen February 13, 2018 at 8:57 pm .

Told you Derby would bottle it like the others. We are going up! And with a month to spare at this rate!

1. Hitchens60
      Hitchens60 February 13, 2018 at 8:59 pm .

Cardiff still look dangerous – were unlucky not to win at Millwall – but when we rack up 10 straight wins will knock the stuffing out of the competition!

2. badger123
      badger123 February 13, 2018 at 11:00 pm .

Ha, Derby lost?

Great news and loads of ammo to throw at my workmates!
      Happy days.

Mor importantly, we maintain 2nd.