Villa 5 – 0 Bristol City; It feels good to be a Villan today.

It’s a funny old game indeed.

Just when everything was looking really bleak, so we get a superb (but awful quality) win at Middlesbrough and then cap it with a 5-0 trouncing of Bristol City.
Apparently it was our biggest win since we beat Sunderland 6-1 in April 2013. That’s some length of time and probably shows how poor we’ve been in recent years.

And make no mistake we did trounce City and it was a pleasure to watch, with us applying strong pressure over a very sustained period, which simply proved too much for the visitors.
Where on earth has that come from after some really turgid performances over the last month or so.

Whatever, it makes a really nice change to not have to point the finger at Steve Bruce today and I think about my only criticism is in asking why he didn’t get the kids on earlier. If you can’t give kids a go when you’re three or four goals up at home, when can you?
Of course, O’Hare and Murphy did get on eventually, but I’m just saying…

There were some excellent performances today, notably from Hutton, who linked well with Adomah: Hogan, who I thought looked sharp, Snodgrass who got two goals and looked for a third and particularly Jack Grealish, who grafted his nuts off to good effect for once.
He looked every bit the player we all think he should be and he pulled the strings for an excellent Villa performance.
What was most noticeable was that sustained effort, which I didn’t for one minute expect us to keep up.
If we could keep playing like that, we could walk this league, that’s how good our performance was.
Talking of which, we now sit fifth, just five points off Derby in second.

If we’ve had our bad run, how encouraging do things look all of a sudden?

And the bonus, for me anyway?
AVTV works fine via a paid-for VPN.

Very happy days.

1. nath January 10, 2018 at 7:35 pm . Reply

i know we touched on the peterbrough game. but bill has highlighted something which bruce claims after the defeat. which gets fans angry. thats saying he maybe he picked the wrong side.

its a excuse we don’t need to hear. its not the first time he paints a clueless manager of himself. personally i think the side was about the strongest we could field. IF the idea was to rest the main players. rest um after a hectic christmas and new year.

the team against peterbro were well and truly beaten, we were really poor and holte66 is spot on that fans should be refunded. having to pay to watch their team get turned over by posh.

ohhhhh one more. posh third goal i saw grealish chasing back as one of two last defenders. this is not were we need grealish to be. also begs a question why our attacking midfielder was our last man. no organization, i know we were meant to be chasing the game, but there is chasing and giving another goal away

2. Hitchens60 January 10, 2018 at 8:25 pm . Reply

I can’t really get too worked up about the Cup game – we made 10 changes and put out an unbalanced side with several players returning from injury or lacking game time. If you want to blame Bruce – fine but to compare it with our general performances in the Championship seems illogical.

However, we continue to be inconsistent in the Championship a problem that has afflicted the club for years under differing managers and owners. I have no real idea why that is but it seems to have become endemic – perhaps it has something to do with the weight of expectation.

FFP continues to be a real problem – if Bruce can pull off a loan deal for Ulloa that would be quite something.

3. Holte 66 January 10, 2018 at 8:48 pm . Reply

Ulloa funnily enough on my spellcheck changed to unload, but he is one name that I think could add something to our squad. I didn’t realise he was 31 so he has plenty of experience although clubs in la liga showing an interest, so depends a bit whether he wants to stay in England. Regarding links to Hutton leaving I hope he stays purely down to him having the right attitude, sadly missing by some. He has become a fan favourite and playing better at left back than Taylor. As far as players leaving, I think we all have the same names on our wishlist, but players like Bree and Suliman on loan look most likely with maybe Thor going back to Italy according to reports. Also hold onto Elphick unless he wants to leave of course.

4. Bill Pearson January 10, 2018 at 9:20 pm . Reply

That email I received, I’m still at a loss why i got it, still I did reply and have to say its what we all talking about , player out of their comfort zone, and excuses being made picking the wrong team, injuries in training and not on the pitch. If its genuine I might be the next manager.😃😊

1. nath January 10, 2018 at 9:37 pm . Reply

lmao pick me for the assistant. you can be mr good cop and i can be your bad cop

5. Bill Pearson January 10, 2018 at 9:50 pm . Reply

Would 45 thousand be ok, would have to get rid of 1 or 2 time wasters.