Villa 4 – 1 Wolves; Who’d have thought it? We send a real message to our competitors.

I did actually write something last night, but fell asleep just as I was due to hit the “publish” button.
Seeing as I wrote it, I’ve published it anyway, albeit miles too late.

You’ll see that I thought the only way we could win was to out-work Wolves, which I’m happy to say was pretty much how it panned out.

I only saw the second half and had to settle for the WM commentary for the first, as I drove home from work.
I’d really wanted to watch this game, but we had a job that needs to be completed by 10AM tomorrow.
I think I was expected to stay late to finish it tonight, but you have to draw the line somewhere and I called a halt.
Paying £8 to Sky to watch half a game grieved me, but the game sounded so compelling that I couldn’t resist.
And I’m glad I did, as to my mind we trounced Wolves in that second half.

You can see that Wolves are a classy side and I now realise why some clubs want them looked into, as they’re a cut above, skill-wise. When you consider some of their players have played in the Champion’s league, yet are not on their way down, it does make you wonder how Wolves have got them in.

Whatever, I thought we made them look very ordinary today and what won it for me was the tactics.
We played at such a pace that I thought we’d never be able to keep it up.
The battling and bodies-behind-the-ball attitude is outstanding. How Bruce and his staff have managed to so totally turn this around is beyond me, but you now see a team that look like they’re willing to die for the shirt.
Brucie simply has to be doing something right.

So we played at a high pace, that Wolves matched, but it was our sheer work-rate that did for Wolves, it seemed to me.
We simply stopped them playing and hence dominating.
Don’t get me wrong, they still looked very dangerous on the break, but we stopped everything they tried.

I tried to call the MOTM, but found it tricky.
Adomah got the official award, but there are so many others who deserved it too.
Chester got his second in two games, while being masterful in defence along with Terry.
Snodgrass was excellent with his delivery and I grudgingly add his “chicanery” (cheating).
Grealish, for his pure trickery, that draws fouls, along with one excellent tackle that would have done any defender proud. I really never knew he had that in him and that has to be down to the management again.
Grabban got what? His 4th in 4 games? Outstanding.

In fact, when you’ve beaten the league leaders so convincingly, it’s difficult to not name the whole team as MOTM.

I listened to the after-match chat and one comment from some ex Wolves player summed it up for me.
He talked about how through most of the season, one of our players has always stepped up when other players aren’t doing quite so well.
He spoke about Adomah, then Grealish, then Snodgrass, then Hogan, then Grabban etc.
And he was exactly right.

This is the sign of a very good team.
And to see so many of them punching the air after the game makes even the very cautious me think the title isn’t quite decided yet.
Second place definitely isn’t and it’s going to be some very decent team(s) that finish above us.
Consider that today was probably our toughest game left and I think we look decidedly strong.
All it needs is for Cardiff to drop some points.

I’m off to send my Derby mate some abuse.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 8
  1. Adam March 12, 2018 at 12:55 pm .

I think i would change jedi for birkir because he deserves his place back.. and hourihane for lansbury. Theres still a quality player in there we just havent seen it from him enough but id give homa chance myself.

2. DSVilla March 12, 2018 at 9:52 pm .

This is totally off topic so sorry for that. I went to the PSG v Real Madrid Champs League game last week. Great occasion but I noticed how fantastic the pitch was and told my son that I was pretty sure that the head groundsman from Villa had been nabbed some years ago. I was reminded of this when I saw an article this evening on the Independent website, which mentions him (Jonathan Calderwood). PSG won the best pitch award for the last 4 seasons.

I haven’t been to Villa Park since the McLeish season. I’m sure the pitch is still good but I remember sitting in the front row of the Trinity stand and seeing how immaculate it was, like a carpet. Shame to lose him but a great career move for him I guess.

1. Adam March 13, 2018 at 12:04 am .

Ive noticed a couple of times since the turn of the year (watching on tv) and i thought it looked pretty poor certaintly not our usual perfectness over the years. The bham game springs to mind.

1. Saddened March 13, 2018 at 7:06 am .

Our pitch doesn’t look great at the moment, but the club has stated in one of the programmes its being replaced in the summer and new underground heating installed.

2. Hitchens60 March 13, 2018 at 7:07 am .

Yes, believe their are some problems with the pitch – was referred to recently in a journo piece and on Saturday commentators referred to the ball ‘bobbling’. Not quite sure what the problem is though.

3. Rocky1 March 13, 2018 at 8:13 am .

The pitch had a 10 year life span when it was laid and is 2 years over that life span, which is why it will be relaid this summer. I have always said a good pitch helps the opponents, so it can be seen as a bit of a leveller at the moment. Judging by the results it has not effected us to much in respect to our home form.

4. Villain1 March 13, 2018 at 4:37 pm .

Cardiff away at Brentford tonight…. if we’re going to finish above them these are the kind of games we need them to be dropping points in. Fingers crossed Villa fan Dean Smith does us a favour!!

Goes without saying that QPR is probably one of our easiest remaining games, cant take any game for granted but youd be bitterly disappointing if we didn’t win comfortably tonight.

5. Holte 66 March 13, 2018 at 6:48 pm .

I don’t know whether it’s part of being a Villa fan, but I don’t feel confident about winning tonight. Everything points to a comfortable win, and maybe it’s because several years of let downs have taken there toll. I hope Cardiff find it as difficult as we did at Brentford. I’m going to forecast a 2-0 win for Villa, although QPR probably won’t go toe to toe with us like Wolves so patience might be needed.

6. badger123 March 13, 2018 at 7:52 pm .

Brentford lead against Cardiff

7. badger123 March 13, 2018 at 7:57 pm .

Jesus qpr lead

8. Adam March 13, 2018 at 8:00 pm .

Oh man! Find out what were about tonight.

9. DSVilla March 13, 2018 at 8:00 pm .

Oh dear