Villa 2 – 2 Preston; We threw that away

I’m stunned.

The first half sounded superb and Tony Morley suggested that the first half was the best we’d played for around two years. Indeed, it sounded like even Westwood, Gabby and Hutton were playing really well and Johnstone hardly touched the ball.
At one stage, it wouldn’t have been a surprise if we were 4-0 up; we were that impressive.
So what happened?

We went in two up at half time and things should have been very comfortable.
Nothing changed when the teams came back on and we retained the same 4-1-4-1 that seemed the best balanced we’ve been in a long time.

Yet we still managed to let them back into it and this surely has to be a mental thing?

Steve Bruce, who I don’t see got it wrong today, even though I feared for us from the off when I saw the line-up, must quite simply be pulling his hair out.

I predicted a 0-0 today and I’d have taken that.
But to have played so well in the first half and still end up drawing?
That’s a massive 2 points dropped, whichever way you look at it.

There are plus points in that we showed that we can do it.
But we have to show more resilience if we’re going to get to the play-offs.
Lansbury looked ok and that’s another plus.
Along with us retaining our home record.
Oh, we got two goals too.

But I’m still massively disappointed.

1. GIDDYVILLAN January 21, 2017 at 5:35 pm . Reply

I’ve got a feeling there’s a lot going on behind the scenes, I can see a few new faces coming in very soon. Especially with a no show by RM

1. pat57 January 21, 2017 at 5:39 pm . Reply

Giddy The great thing is that, if we do get Hourihane and Bree and whoever else in soon SB then has until Jan 31 to get them playing together.

Almost as good as a winter break.

2. Hitchens 60 January 21, 2017 at 5:38 pm . Reply

Serious point Badger – I agree that we just haven’t shaken off that losing mentality and the fans have it as well. We go two up and I say to the missus – we’ll not win this and I suspect I’m not in the minority.

An odd ein here and there isn’t going to change that – we have to find a way of winning consistently so I, for one, hope that SB can deliver that by addressing the imbalance in the team thus window. As OLL commented we also need to ship out more of the players that were part of last season’s debacle.

3. GIDDYVILLAN January 21, 2017 at 6:03 pm . Reply

I see bree & hourihane are playing tonight

4. pat57 January 21, 2017 at 6:06 pm . Reply

BBC Radio WM twitter –

‘Ross McCormack not fit – disciplined by the club for his attitude and for continually missing training. #avfc’

Get rid ASAP

1. GIDDYVILLAN January 21, 2017 at 6:15 pm . Reply

That shows he’s not happy where he is, it’s not worked out for him I for one expected big things from the guy.

5. Hitchens 60 January 21, 2017 at 6:31 pm . Reply

Bruce ‘there has been too much indiscipline at this club for too long and I won’t put up with it’. Too bl**dy right and with all due respect RDM was a soft touch as well.

Bruce is going to need all his managerial experience to sort this mess out and the absolute least he deserves is the full support of the fans. In some ways I can see why Gabby has been rewarded with a place if he’s responded positively.

If Fulham want McCormack then they are welcome to him.

1. pat57 January 21, 2017 at 6:44 pm . Reply

Glad that SB is chucking his toys out of the pram with regard to RM. Arses need kicking at VP and I hoped when he came that he’d bring his size twelves with him. Personally hope that RM takes his fat arse back to Fulham.

SB is not just having to deal with improving us football wise but to somehow overcome the cancerous negativity that’s riddled our club from top to bottom

I think he’s the man to do it but we can’t expect miracles either.

6. GIDDYVILLAN January 21, 2017 at 6:34 pm . Reply

Will Fulham be put off now after more than likely hearing this??