Villa 2 – 2 Burnley: I’m becoming concerned about Wesley

Quite simply, we got a point.
Which is better than nothing.

But my bigger concern has to be about Wesley.
A few times, the commentators mentioned that Wesley seemed to be reluctant to challenge Mee, when the ball was in the air.
Which is where I started to watch his game more closely and started to think about him more.
Now, I know he isn’t known as a battering ram type and is supposed to have more about his game.

Which after seeing John McGinn running onto a cross, as he often does, for a second time in the game, got me wondering why doesn’t Wesley do that?
Which is where I noticed Wesley goes for the back post. There’s nothing wrong with that, in itself, but it seems to me that that’s more of a poacher’s game.
What I’m saying is that I don’t think Wesley puts himself forward enough.
Basically, he doesn’t look anything like the threat that is needed, because he isn’t attacking enough and it doesn’t seem to me he has that instinct in him.
Which is why I thought him being replaced by Kienan Davis was a good idea today.
I also have concerns about if Wesley is man enough to be a Villa centre forward.
The bloke is a proverbial brick outhouse and really shouldn’t be bullied by the likes of Mee, who in fairness had a great game today, I think.
“Had him in my pocket” comes to mind.
I’m still supportive of Wesley, but he needs to learn to mix it more. And quickly.

As for the game, Super John McGinn had one ruled out for offside, but soon pulled it back after a good ball from Grealish fed Trezuguet on the right, who crossed for McGinn to take nicely.

Man Utd think they might get McGinn for £50 million?
Don’t worry Villa fans, they don’t have a hope in hell and I’d want triple that amount before I even thought about it at today’s stupid prices. Which is what I’m sure Smith and the owners are thinking.

Which leads me onto the midfield.
Sean Dyche went from a 4-4-2, moving to a 4-3-3 at half time, which you would think might weaken their midfield, but it totally changed the game.
Whereas we were very much on the front foot in the first half, so we seemed a different team in the second and Burnley looked much more the bigger threat.

I don’t know what others think, but I thought Mings had a poor game today and lacked his usual self-assurance. I can’t put my finger on it, but it seems if you run at him all the time, he looks rushed.
No criticism really, as he’s been good for us before now.

Grealish drove the side and I thought he was great today, even when we were on the back foot.

But with Wesley looking so lightweight, El Ghazi going off for what seems like a soft injury, that you’d expect a player to get over and Targett getting injured again, you have to wonder if some of the team are frankly man enough to cope with the rigours of the Premier league.

It’s only a solitary point, but I’m hoping it’s something we can build on.
Whatever, it’s looking like my prediction of it being a very tough season is about right.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
    VillaAwayInDiv3 September 29, 2019 at 9:25 pm .

Originallondonlion….yes I thought I read when Dean came that that was the style he liked…2 or 3 up front alternating along the line .Also his famous they score 3 we score 4 had better kick in soon…

Big Fat Ron September 29, 2019 at 10:01 pm .

25 years to the day Phil King scored the winning penalty against Inter. 25 years. A quarter of a century. Brings home how far we’ve fallen. It’s about time we got back to nights like that at VP!

Benno September 30, 2019 at 12:02 am .

I liked our new formation yesterday, and the first half we just dominated them. Should have gone in 2 or 3 up really. Second half, we didn’t really get going, but once McGinn scored, we should have held on for 3 points.

I thought Targett made a big difference. Having Taylor there is futile when we attack, as he offers nothing going forward. El Ghazi to me is a back up player for the wings, I dont think he should really be starting. Wesley needs time, but its hard not to have some doubts about his ability. To me, he just doesnt look like he could score from outside the box if his life depended on it! I really hope I am wrong, but unless he picks up his game soon, Deano might be tempted to give Davis a shot.

badger123 October 1, 2019 at 3:19 pm .

Which wouldj ust be a real indicator of how bad our striking situation is.
      Not that I don’t rate Davis, but he’s still learning.
      Not holding onto Tammy looks to be very costly, as much as I realise he wanted to play for Chelsea.
      20-20 hindsight is always easy though.

In other news, the talksport computer (probably someone on minimum wage, drawing out of a hat, fwiw) is predicting that Newcastle finish bottom, with Brighton and Watford also relegated.
      We finish 17th and I’d take that all day.

Interestingly, I actually don’t think it’s far off the mark.

Bill Pearson October 1, 2019 at 5:33 pm .

The way it’s going it certainly looks that way, but we all know its early days and we cannot keep having bad luck and idiot refs, I see VAR been brought into question again with the ref allowing what we didn’t get blowing his whistle for a goal yet ours was ruled to be off side. I’m going to start worrying when we get to January, ,I hope by then we are riding mid table and all our concerns are unjustified and better days to come. ..

Holte66 October 1, 2019 at 6:08 pm .

We have 2 games coming up where we need a minimum of 4 points IMO. After that (apart from Newcastle) we have a tough set of fixtures. We could easily find ourselves with an uphill task before the end of the year if results don’t improve. Playing Wesley as a lone striker isn’t working. Fortunately McGinn and El Ghazi have compensated for the lack of goals up front. Unfortunately when we do score goals, our defence is failing. We need to be braver when taking the lead and not go into negative sitting deep mode. We can only assume that it’s a mindset amongst the players because Smith insists that it isn’t tactical.

Hitchens60 October 3, 2019 at 8:07 pm .

Keeping in touch through intermittent dodgy WiFi. Not really sure what to make of where we are but good performances are not, of themselves, sufficient. We have to find a way to win games starting with Norwich on Saturday.

Having lost twice to them last year it’s difficult to be confident.