Villa 2-1 Albion; A vital win!!!!

Well how good does that feel?

With a couple of minutes to go, I’d got it in my head that the title for this post was going to read something like “Gutted, but better”, as I thought Villa were superb in the first half.

There was a lot more graft from the midfielders and more importantly we played with a much higher tempo, something I and probably many of us have been calling for, for most of the season.

When you consider Gabby could have had a hat trick in the first half hour and then Delph was unlucky when he hit the post, we really could have gone in at half time 4-0 up.

The performance really was that good.

In reality though, we were only 1-0 up at half time, where I was asking myself why we haven’t put that sort of effort in prior to this game? Particularly Gabby, who I’ve criticised a lot lately. Fair play to him though, he worked his proverbials off.

Likewise, Charles N’Zogbia, who was quite effective until he was subbed, no doubt down to a lack of match fitness.

Anyway, onto the second half and Albion, who previously looked pretty lacklustre, came out much more fired up, no doubt after some choice words from Tony Pulis. And we started to struggle somewhat; something that had me questioning if we might have a bit of a fitness problem? Indeed, Sherwood hinted that the players were possibly fatigued from the way they’ve been training.

And then came Albion, goal, where the defence were poor yet again, with Berahino allowed another free header. He wasn’t the only player not marked either, which was disappointing, given that Okore and Clark had handled Albion’s typical Pulis type tactics of the long ball up to the strikers pretty well.

One each then and things got quite worrying, with Albion possibly looking the more likely to nick it, to give us a repeat of the Stoke game.

And then in the very last minute, Foster, who had already looked very much the dodgy goalie, fumbled the ball and took out Lowton to earn us a penalty.

I was on the edge of my seat now and had a feeling Foster might save, given our recent bad luck, but Benteke, who also seemed to put a fair bit more work in tonight, very cooled trundled the ball into the net, after sending the goalie the wrong way.

Cue massive celebrations from the fans and myself, with the players joining in after the whistle.

Loads of bonuses today, for me. As Sherwood said, we’ve looked better in each game. The team worked their guts out and showed some fighting spirit. We beat an Albion side who have kept 5 clean sheets in their last 7. We played really well today.ย  And most importantly, we’re out of the bottom three.

It actually feels great to be a Villa fan today and if we can keep that sort of performance up, you have to feel our chances of staying up are majorly improved.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
    pat57 March 4, 2015 at 6:40 am .

So it wasn’t a dream after all! Villa finally showing some fight – I knew they had it in them.

So if we can keep playing like that and get something away against Sunderland and then at home against Swansea then all I can say is bring on United!

Pressure should be off on Saturday so I’m hoping we finally see something of the real Villa. Baggies beware!!!

UTV – ITWT (In Timbo We Trust)

Bum Bum March 4, 2015 at 7:00 am .

Just woken up smiling too!!!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Darren March 4, 2015 at 7:08 am .

If we can beat Sunderland that will drag them behind us and into the relegation scrap too. A very big game. Meanwhile hope QPR and Burnley lose their respective games against teams that should comfortably best them.

Bum Bum March 4, 2015 at 9:01 am .

Really don’t want The Mackems to go down. Have a soft spot for them, but Villa come first obviously. And The Mackems are used to it!!!

Hitchens 60 March 4, 2015 at 7:11 am .

Giddy mate – u and me never lost the faith. Welcome all to the positivitists. We will not be relegated UTV

Now back to nursing my headache!

GIDDYVILLAN March 4, 2015 at 7:21 am .

Morning positivo yes I’m not going to tell you folks always keep the faith Ts is here to turn our fortunes around that’s for sure.looking forward to work today I’ll give um he’ll round 2 Saturday Wembley here we come.UTV

saddened March 4, 2015 at 7:53 am .

Morning H60 – we both got the 2-1 correct eh ?
      First half we were fantastic, but then stepped off the gas a little (probably due to fitness) – does raise the question, with fitness, injuries and bullying, what the hell was going on in training under Lamberk.

Hitchens 60 March 4, 2015 at 8:22 am .

Morning saddened – yep got one right for a change LOL lot of energy and emotion in first half which is hard to keep up through 90 mins. Really deserved to win the game. Should be quite an atmosphere Saturday UTV

pat57 March 4, 2015 at 7:27 am .

Just looked at Burnley’s and QPR’s fixture list and I’m so glad we’re not them – especially QPR.

I’ll admit that I was one of the ‘we’re doomed’ brigade because I really thought it would at minimum, take a stick of dynamite to get the players out of their negative rut.

All I can say is that it looks like TS is going to be a ‘dynamite’ manager :-),

steve March 4, 2015 at 9:18 am .

Have a look at Hulls

gerry March 4, 2015 at 7:42 am .

Its 2 degrees and a grey sky. My gas bill has just arrived. I have a shite job to do today. Probably drank a little too much last night. What a beautiful morning.

Hitchens 60 March 4, 2015 at 8:23 am .

๐Ÿ™‚

Bum Bum March 4, 2015 at 9:07 am .

Is the game on TV Saturday? Might dig my 1981 replica top out!!!!

GIDDYVILLAN March 4, 2015 at 9:14 am .

Yep BB1

OohAhPaulMcGrath March 4, 2015 at 11:12 am .

New post gone up

B6 March 4, 2015 at 9:17 am .

It’s on the Beeb Bum Bum.

Bum Bum March 4, 2015 at 9:38 am .

Cheers. Will get my ale ready!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

B6 March 4, 2015 at 11:39 am .

Good move, I’ll be round about 4.

kerryvillan March 4, 2015 at 11:24 am .

Great win but really need to follow it up with a win against Sunderland, really didn’t think we would score 2 goals against a pulis team so once they scored I felt it was over but thank god the players didn’t think that! And once we got to the last 10 mins I was sure it would stay a draw, can anyone remember the last time we won a game or even got a goal in the last 10 mins? I don’t think it’s happens this season anyway so credit to them for not giving up! A lot of people saying cleverly had a good game but I thought he was pretty shit again, just passing backwards and sideways like always and slowing play down way too much, there was one moment at 1-1 that summed him up completely, Bacuna made a run down the right behind the defebce and cleverly had the ball on the right but instead of hitting the ball into space in front of bacuna he turns around and passes back to the center back! Just not good enough! If we are winning no problem but at 1-1 where a win is a must that is just poor poor play, I would swap him for bacuna in the center as we already hav 2 safety 1st players in Westwood and delph so need a player willing to get forward and take risks. what does gil need to do to get some minutes I wonder? Does he not track back enough for sherwood I wonder? I think if played in behind the stickers with limited defending responsibility he could fit into this team.

BWS March 4, 2015 at 11:38 am .

What a game, best I’ve been down to in ages.
    No stench of Lambert, the home team going for it like a home team should, Jesus we could have been 4-0 at half time, what a transformation but wtf was the ref playing at? I’ve never seen such a stone wall penalty and straight red than Foster on Gabby, if that had’ve been Rooney at Old Trafford Mr Moss would have give both all day long but hey ho it turned out alright in the end.
    The futures bright!
    The futures Claret & blue!

Jay Dee March 4, 2015 at 11:52 am .
        GIDDYVILLAN March 4, 2015 at 2:28 pm .

Was that OOHA on the pitch????