Villa 1 -1 Leeds; A fair result? I’m not convinced

I’m still on a high, as the game did become entertaining in the last few minutes, but I can’t say the same for probably the previous eighty minutes.

I believe Steve Bruce was playing this one with view not to lose, as was suggested by his “we’re tough to beat” comments of late.

And it was working well, as we subdued them, while not causing any real threat on our part.

But wow, it was tedious for the most part.

We created nothing in all and when Leeds had a chance from a set piece, so they scored.

You might think it was only fair that we reciprocated and indeed we did, as Gestede threatened in the box and caused a penalty via a handball, just after he’d come on.
Kodjia duly converted to give us a point, but I have to hold my hands up and say I don’t think we deserved it.

In what was a canny game on both sides, I feel Leeds were overall better, as they hit the woodwork twice, with the second effort being almost miraculous that they didn’t score.

I have to think harder about Bruce’s tactics for this game, but the truth is I think he got it wrong every way you care to think.
Players seemed to be played out of position and I’m sure it was some kind of a test to see if they can apply his instructions.
If that’s so, I can live with it.

But that wasn’t pleasant viewing and after that, Leeds will finish above us comfortably.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    nath December 30, 2016 at 7:01 pm .

i am prepared to say iam happy with bruce, yeah i guess he is the king whiles he doing a good job. now your not happy, tell us your choice warnock is currently employed, but you said you wouldn’t have him. its easy saying this player is shit and that manager is rubbish. much harder to stick your neck out and grow balls and say who you much rather have. because ppl might just throw this back at you ??? don’t be shy just one name of a manager so we can see your taste. throw in a couple of players your you much rather see as well maybe we can ask santa for a late delivery

Hitchens 60 December 30, 2016 at 8:51 pm .

Nath – I admire your tenacity but you’re wasting your time trying to have an adult debate with JV

GIDDYVILLAN December 30, 2016 at 8:56 pm .

Yes the initials JV are the give away (Junior Villan)

jvillan December 30, 2016 at 9:20 pm .

back to our childish name calling just because my points are true and yousein dreamland about bruce hutton westwood
          we are only 8th best since bruce took over and his first signing is another keeper bruce bit like captain titanic can t see we need a midfield westwood and gg never be one even in your dreams

badger123 December 30, 2016 at 10:51 pm .

In fairness, JV, we don’t know who Bruce is after, the same as the press.

A goalie makes sense, as Gollini was a mistake in that he should never be number one at the moment, imo.
            But that’s the easy one, as Maureen wants Sam to go on loan.

I’ll bet money we have two mids coming in.
            Who? God knows, but Bruce can pick them ocasionally and very well too.

He’ll bring some duds in too. All managers do.

8th best???
            Please explain, as I’m confused by that comment.

We’re currently 9th in the league and I suspect that if you look at the record since Bruce came in he might be higher??

Either way, I’d suggest that’s not too shabby, given that none of our players are his.

Andrew December 31, 2016 at 9:07 pm .

Comments like these are baffling. JVillan, you do realize we can sign more than one player, correct? And it’s highly likely we’re in talks for more than one. I agree, Johnstone is a waste of a transfer, but this one doesn’t stop us from more…

OohAhPaulMcGrath December 30, 2016 at 11:20 pm .

Bruce or big fat San are the only two managers that would get us up. Neither are good enough for prem but they would keep us up but not much more. I think it would be a blessing in disguise if we don’t go up this season as we are still miles away from being even a poor prem team and would go straight back down. Best we take another year and rebuild and come up a much stronger team with more confidence imo

Bill Pearson December 31, 2016 at 9:45 am .

Just popping in to wish you all a happy New year, mine will be crap as the missis in hospital since boxing day. Giddy get it down you mate.

GIDDYVILLAN December 31, 2016 at 10:04 am .

Happy new year to you both mate hope she’s feeling better today whenever you can GET IT DOWN YER 🍻 PS send her my best wishes

pat57 December 31, 2016 at 3:01 pm .

@Bill
      Hope she gets well soon, not a great time of year to be visiting the hospital is it?

Hopefully the lads will do the business on Monday and cheer us all up.

Hitchens 60 December 31, 2016 at 3:25 pm .

Bill, sorry to hear your missus not well; best wishes for a speedy recovery and to you both for 2017

GIDDYVILLAN December 31, 2016 at 10:38 am .

OOHA did you delete one of my posts last night??? Badger didn’t if so why??

Bum Bum December 31, 2016 at 10:55 am .

It’s because you were really drunk and asked both Badger and OhAhh to marry you.
      Don’t worry about it Giddy! πŸ™‚

GIDDYVILLAN December 31, 2016 at 10:59 am .

Lol 😁 what a tart I am

Bum Bum December 31, 2016 at 11:49 am .

Furthermore, you said you’d get down on one knee in the centre circle at half time at the next home game wearing a Bloose kit!!!!!

GIDDYVILLAN December 31, 2016 at 12:33 pm .

Never never I must of been possessed the thought I’ll never touch a drop again πŸ˜‚

jvillan December 31, 2016 at 12:54 pm .

badger
    after today fixtures we can go as low as 13th,
    8th best run some papers had during week only preston norwich are on bad runs
    explain the difference in gollina and johnson
    if take fisrt couple matches for gollina only one mistake v leeds and seen the best make that

Hitchens 60 December 31, 2016 at 3:30 pm .

FFS JV lighten up man.

To try and answer your question – Johnstone has experience in the Championship and is well regarded. Gollini has very little experience and none in the UK. Bruce has said he’s ‘young for his age’ or more brutally immature and is struggling with starting in goal.

I don’t suppose it will make a jot of difference to you but I gave tried!

Nontheless best wishes for 2017.

jvillan December 31, 2016 at 4:06 pm .

22 appearances for pne seasoned pro compared to gollina
        but i suppose no childish name calling
        as above best wishes for2017

jvillan December 31, 2016 at 4:10 pm .

dembele and roberts both starred for celtic this morning at 20 19 years of age in probably most hostile match

Andrew January 1, 2017 at 4:53 am .

While Gollini may have little experience, he at least did it in the top flight, and was a starter. Johnstone has the same amount of experience in the Championship and League One experience. I’d take Gollini’s experience over Johnstone’s all day. Johnstone only played 4 games for Preston last season in the Championship, he played for them in League one. He did play for Doncaster for 18 games but that was it.