Villa 1 – 0 Millwall; Not great, but another win

Well that’s ten wins in ten games and whatever I thought, you can’t knock that.
We weren’t quite at it today, but that’s not surprising as I’m sure Friday’s game combined with the heat over this weekend must have taken it out of the players.
The main thing is we won, but while we played some lovely one touch stuff at times, so we were also very sloppy, with Jedinak being the biggest culprit in my eyes. It’s hard to complain about him though, as he was again immense in the air.
McGinn was lively and his usual tricky self, although I thought he dropped off in the second half.
El Ghazi looked dangerous and had chances.
As did quite a few, as we did have a few attempts.

Again I can’t really moan about anyone and contrary to what some thought, I thought Kodjia did ok. Fair enough, he doesn’t put himself about and get involved as much as Abraham, but his job is to score goals and he simply got the winner today. I’ve watched the replay and it was a lovely striker’s touch too.
And while Millwall looked threatening enough to worry us, they really didn’t create that much. I haven’t seen their shots on target stat, but I doubt it was many, although we gave their keeper a bit of work to do.

All in all, that’s another three points and a new record for consecutive wins.
What’s not to like?

Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Holte66 April 22, 2019 at 5:15 pm .

Would it be a good idea to rest our key players against Leeds and Norwich or do we go with momentum and stick with winning team? It’s a tough call for Smith because we could field a 2nd string team against Leeds and suggest they put in some tough challenges against their best players! Alternatively aim to win final two games and pip Albion to 4th to get 2nd leg at home. Personally I think the importance of maintaining a winning habit is more important despite there being a risk of injuries or suspensions.

Hitchens 60 April 22, 2019 at 5:25 pm .

Holte – playing a ‘weaker’ side always come back to haunt you. Having said that, it gives time for Abraham and Tuanzebe to make full recoveries.

Personally I would give starts to Elphick and Davis and maybe rest either McGinn or Grealish for one game but then I suspect neither would take kindly to that suggestion. Of course if McGinn were to pick up another yellow ……

Anyway good problems for Smith to have.

UTV9

Pat 57 April 22, 2019 at 6:44 pm .

On one hand the best way of keeping players sharp is through actual match play while on the other we don’t want to get players injured or carded unnecessarily.

I’d guess that Smith might give some match time to supporting players who might be needed in the play-offs e.g. Davis, Green, Elphick and if it was up to me I’d either not play Jack and McGinn or just give them a half or so in each game.

It’s a nice problem for Smith to have and I’ll be interested to see what he does.

We’re in the play offs – still pinching myself.

Pat 57 April 22, 2019 at 7:15 pm .

The pressure’s obviously getting to everyone but us and Sheffield Utd. Norwich four draws in a row, Boro lose, Bristol lose and not forgetting Leeds who are blowing up in a spectacular manner.

They had all the possession but Brentford skewered them with quick attacks and should have won by a lot more than two. They were even taking the piss at times.

IMHO Leeds are finished and I believe join a list of Bielsa’s old clubs who blow up near the end of the season.

Looking at the form of the other three clubs currently in the play offs none have won more than 2 out of the last 5. I think that any of them will be shaking in their boots at the thought of playing us.

nath April 22, 2019 at 7:18 pm .

leeds go down at Brenford 2 nil. they were deservedly beaten as well, should have been 3 nil but for some over playing and selfish play by canos. i thought brentford had a good shout for a pen too.

leeds look shattered and minus confidence, if villa beat them next game, not only will it give us the edge in playoff final if they make it. it might knock them out so they fall apart totally. i almost feel sorry for them NOT

CHARLIEAITKEN...Villa legend April 23, 2019 at 9:05 am .

RIP Billy McNeill

Bill Pearson April 23, 2019 at 12:29 pm .

He’s the same age as me, i remember him sitting in the Trinity blue seats with me watching the football games in the European matches. Hell time goes so quickly if you let it, RIP Billy McNeil.

CHARLIEAITKEN...Villa legend April 23, 2019 at 4:13 pm .

Not one of our better managers Bill but he was a really nice bloke!

Holte66 April 23, 2019 at 4:41 pm .

RIP Billy McNeill. Shame he didn’t have a good experience at Villa but his playing and managerial career was not bettered by many.