Villa 0 – 2 West Ham; disastrous 3 mins, but not good enough

Aston Villa 0-2 West Ham (All Goals) 08… by ourmatch

Oh dear!
This, to me is quite simply a disastrous result.

In the predictions thread, I thought West Ham would stifle the midfield and we’d struggle to break them down.
That was certainly the case in the first half, where the truth is West Ham were the better side.
West Ham, a side that I’ve said on here, are very poor.
So how much does it hurt for me to say we never had a shot on goal in that half?
A lot. So much so that I’m not even going to mention it anymore.

Onto the second half then and straight away, it seemed like we were asleep.
Downing did well to beat Bertrand and it was all too easy for Nolan to score. Just slack.

And within a couple of minutes or so Delph was caught messing with the ball and Nolan scored again. Even slacker.

And then, on came Albrighton, who within 20 seconds had put in a cracking cross, which was better than anything we’d seen in the whole first half.
And the game turned on it’s head.
Benteke, who hadn’t got a sniff was now getting loads of headers, albeit he failed to hit the net and the side looked instantly revitalised.
Why Albrighton doesn’t start is beyond me.

In short, we battered West Ham, but they went a proper 5 at the back and you just knew we wouldn’t get two goals.

The truth is, I don’t really want to talk much about this game, as losing like we did has really got to me today.
I suppose you could say this is what you get when you have a young side, but I’m just glad I didn’t have to pay to watch it.

And where we were a so called safe in 10th, 5 points above relegation, we’re now 11th, 4 points above relegation.
Still think we’re comfortable?
Because I don’t.

Moan of the day?
Even Bertrand can’t take a legal throw-in.

1. Villan1 February 9, 2014 at 11:52 am . Reply

I can’t fathom how fatty faulkner and the board think we are making progress or how lambert deserves an extension, because quite frankly the only case you can make right now is for his P45.
    The home record is pathetic, 8 defeats out of 13 at VP and 2 home cup losses, shambolic. But more alarming for me is that we play the same dated, limited tactics every week, hoof the ball up, hope for a knock down. Seeing Grant Holt take to the field when we are 0-2 down just adds to the misery.
    I don’t mind rebuilding, taking the knocks and the defeats last season but for what. A season where we have regressed in both quality and style of play. Didn’t Lambert tell Benteke when he signed his new deal that we “wouldn’t be in this position again”. Well we are Paul, and that is down to your shit management and tactics and quite frankly awful business in the transfer market.
    We all know funds are limited and Lerner is disinterested, but giving Lambert a new deal would be the biggest pain of all, as it would signal the board are happy with such misery and mediocrity. Is there are more energy sapping and miserable ground in the league as VP right now, apart from the away fans section which celebrates on a weekly basis.

2. nath February 9, 2014 at 12:35 pm . Reply

against the better sides we hit more direct, missing the midfield out, u can see this with results against the better teams this is our strength. we play the poorer sides, we change tactics, we try 2 pass the ball which is as foreign to us.

i would like 2 see us get relegated trying 2 win games, rather than going down trying 2 draw games. we all know we can’t pass 4 shit. we are a direct side. play 2 our strengths which is benteke.

cardiff next, the blessing is we are away. which is better cos our tactics are suited better with the opponents attacking us. which they will do.only hope confidence hasn’t ebbed away totally.

at home albrighton needs 2 play, we need a focus point which is benteke u hit long and u get the ball 2 albighton who feeds benteke and gabby is on the left doing same. delph westwood holding, hopefully gardner plays attacking midfield role. we are running out of excuses, confidence is key we need a win and quickly

3. Bencey83 February 9, 2014 at 2:39 pm . Reply

It was refreshing to hear Lambert making his feelings known after the match about the poor defending that basically threw the game away, rather than his usual “couldn’t fault the lads for effort” comments.

4. Nagutius Maximus February 9, 2014 at 3:08 pm . Reply

the onlt bright thing about yesterday was albrightons performance.
    I really think we need to stick to a 4-4-2/4-4-1, playing baccuna in the AM ‘number 10’ position is no good, he’s just not good enough to play a roll that important not really blaming baccuna here, he’s very young and has a lot to learn its asking a lot of the lad to take that kind of pressure and responsibility.
    and id rather see KEA in instead of westwood, in fact id rather see the ballboy get a game ahead of westwood.
    also lowton looked poor again today, he was being skinned by Jarvis all the 1st half and he(lowton)looked so slow, I mean you’ve got to be to make Jarvis look like a world beater, has lowton always lacked pace? it may explain why he is constantly found out of position.

5. nath February 9, 2014 at 3:19 pm . Reply

totally agree with the ballboy lmao westwood needs 2 stand up and be counted so many times he passes sideways or backwards, but this is always a criticism u point at the whole team. no other team relies on the goalkeeper booting the ball long,

they need 2 work on movement creating spaces offering more options 4 the man on the ball

6. OriginalLondonLion February 10, 2014 at 12:54 am . Reply

OK Badger you want some analysis of what is going wrong. Here is wee bit of elementary coaching. Who knows Lambert might even read it? I will do “how to break down a packed defence in another post.” But for now–
    What Delph is doing wrong. The back four in the absence of Vlaar do not trust the accuracy of a long pass forward so they play it square at the back, until Delph comes into the back line to pick the ball up. This is the key point because as soon as he does that opponents gang up on him as fast as possible. They know he is arrogant enough to think he can play his way out of trouble, but in that position there is no cover between him and the goal. When Delph loses possession (eg to Nolan) it is a goal. Opposing managers do specifically coach this – I’ve been told so by Frank Lampard and Shane Long so I believe it. The situation for this typically occurs when we are facing a team intent on defending with two rows of four ie against poor sides at Villa Park. By contrast when the opposition is attacking us our back four cannot dither on the ball and wait for Delph. They hoof the ball upfield pronto to relieve pressure, with or without accuracy.

7. Bill Pearson. February 10, 2014 at 9:28 am . Reply

I see where your coming from O,L,L, Delf to me will never be in the same league as Gerrard, or Lampard, he’s to irrational with his game, he’s does try hard and its why he has so many cards, and yes every manager knows how to play us just close him down. I’ll say this till he’s out of Villa Park Lambert has not a clue what to do, his coaches are clueless we get caught on ever tactical line up we make. I’m worried now and have been for years how as to why we are not moving forwards.