Villa 0- 2 Everton; Another home loss

It’s taken me a while to think of what to say here, as I actually think we did ok overall and for most of that game, it didn’t deserve us losing by two goals.

You could probably even go so far as to say we were the better side for the first half hour, with us doing what we do best in playing fast and furious, taking it to them and generally doing a pretty good job.

Benteke’s penalty decision was a bit soft, as there was no intent in my opinion, but yes, he’s brought him down so probably the correct decision.

The resulting penalty effort was reasonable, but Howard made an excellent save in a game that looked like it was going to be a battle of the goalies, not the Belgians.

Talking of which, when Benteke’s Pen was saved, I got a feeling it wasn’t going to be our day.

Lukaku’s goal was a bit unexpected by me, although I suspect a few of you might disagree. I thought we were holding our own and countering pretty well.

We were fading slowly though, just as I was expecting and the second goal just killed the game didn’t it?

I’m loathe to slate the defence, as we’d kept a decent Everton side restricted to few chances, but well, they were poor for the goal weren’t they?

Luna had a shocker and for me Baker did much better when he took over.

Again, I can’t really fault the team for effort, but again we just looked bereft of quality.

And I know we were playing a team on a roll and flying high, but the simple fact is we’ve now lost four out of five at home.

That’s not even relegation form.

We quite simply have to get it sorted out, as for some reason it’s just not working. Regardless of who you play, you should at least be expecting some draws.

Laugh of the day?

Tim Howard’s beard. Am I the only one who thought he had his head on upside-down?

It’s not funny though really, is it?

1. JACK GALLIMORE October 27, 2013 at 2:23 am . Reply

WE want Lerner out say We Want Lerner OUT NOW what a wanker. Bring baCK doug!!!!!!!

2. Darren October 27, 2013 at 2:37 am . Reply

I personally don’t think we were as bad as so many are making out, I was pretty pissed off after the game and decided not to write a ratings report because of this. Now level headed again I feel that we weren’t bad, weren’t overally good either. We had the best of the first 25 minutes, Everton took over from there and the first half was pretty even, both teams could have had goals on the board and if it wasn’t for both keepers, someone would have. The second half was much the same, not much in it until one brilliant piece of play and finish that we could do little about. After that the side went into a bit of a rable, lost concentration and struggled, the second came and the scoreline looks a lot worse than how the game was really played out.

We still need a better midfield as Delph is the only one who has any sort of quality and the only one capable of running with the ball and not losing out.

Villa’s Player Ratings, in my opinion of course.

Guzan: 7.5 Cracking reflex saves in the first half. Could not fault him and he could do nothing about either goal.

Luna: 4.5 Constantly out of position, struggled to deal with the threat of the constant attacks coming at him, tries to get forward too often and is not back in position ready. He did make some great last ditch blocks but generally was just recovering from his own errors made a few seconds prior.

Vlaar: 7.5 I think Vlaar was quality all night. Had a tough job and was solid, controlled the backline well and didn’t do much wrong.

Baker: 6.5 Was playing well as a CB and when moved to LB was good defensively. Stuggled to get forward and or create

Clarke: 6.5 Subbed on for Luna and went in as CB, didn’t do a lot wrong and was solid enough.

Bacuna: 7.0 Had a solid game defensively, didn’t get forward as much as we’d like to see him but for whatever reason Lambert didn’t play through him often enough. This kid is quality and one of our few players who can make a decent run and pass.

Westwood: 5.0 Did nothing for me again. Passes freely but lacks quality to create anything. Free kicks terrible, really Westwood for corners? Terrible. Get Bacuna to take them. KEA or Sylla for me please.

Delph: 7.5 The only midfielder with quality, again. Takes players on, keeps the ball at his feet and makes nice attacking moves. If Delph isn’t making the moves through the middle, Villa doesn’t attack. He is in dire need of some help

Tonev: 5.5 Struggled for most of the game, found it hard to get into the game and his final passes were quite often poor. I think he has something about him and given time could be a quality player.

Weimann 4.0 I’ve seen a headless chicken with more direction. Has no idea on whats happening around him, tries hard but lacks confidence. Should have scored and absolute sitter but squandered it and from then on was trying to hoof the ball out of Villa park instead of into the back of the net. Andy, maybe have a look around you before shooting.

Gaby; 5.5 Worked hard and got defenders out of position at times through his hard work and running but struggled on the ball and has little confidence to pull the trigger, at least he looks for other options other than himself, take note Andy.

Benteke; 4.5 Had two opportunities he should have converted and didn’t one a penalty and the other a one on one with Howard. Struggled all night and run out of legs as the game wore on.

Player Of The Match: Vlaar, Guzan

Overview: Villa played way too much down one side, and a side with little quality, not sure why we don’t use Bacuna going forward more and why Bacuna doesn’t take corners, or even Tonev for that matter. We had too many players that just arnt good enough that posses no quality. For the best part of the game we did match it with Everton but lacked the quality to finish and were a little all over the place after that. Weimann especially. I feel as though a few players should be dropped, our problem is who comes in? We will have to replace rubbish with rubbish, a different formation and better tactics is needed and this is Lamberts fault.

In my opinion this is a list of players that make a PL effort each week and who should be in the team, Benteke, Guzan, Vlaar, Delph, Bacuna, Clarke/Baker, Gaby. Now to find players to replace the rest of the team haha. Id like to see more of Helenius and give Tonev a run but our problem is its hard, because we don’t have the quality to support them as they are our best are good but only good enough to worry about what they have to do.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath October 27, 2013 at 3:25 am . Reply

Agree with most of what uv written there Darren. Luna, Westwood and wiemann have to be dropped IMO. Vlaar was pulled out to right back for their first goal and left baker and Clark marking 3 players which led to their first goal what he was doing at right back il never know. Second goal he completely neglected Barry until it was to late when Barry passed and they scored so more of a 6.0 for vlaar as he still switches of and makes to many errors though he has improved. Benteke missed pen but even Messi misses them so can’t blame him and it was a great save to be fair. Though when he one on one with keeper he should of squared to bacuna who would of had open goal. Tonev very poor IMO. A bit unfair on weimann to saying he missed a sitter again it was a chance but their keeper closed him down within a second. Though he does need to go on the bench for a few games IMO.

1. Darren October 27, 2013 at 11:57 am . Reply

I can see your points and understand where you are coming from RE; Vlaar, Benteke and Weimann. I do feel as though with Vlaar he mops up after poor positioning and mistakes from our other defenders regularly however when he makes a mistake, which yes does happen (less regularly now though) no one is there to help out as the others are well out positioned and arnt good enough to help others so his mistakes always look worse.

Benteke I agree with the penalty, it wasn’t a bad penalty but could have been taken better however yes it was a simple square up to Bacuna and we should have been 1-0 up. Maybe I am being a bit harsh on him but I expect a lot more from him, especially his second half was very poor, mainly due to lack of match fitness, maybe still carrying slight injury.

Weimann, I feel as though it was pretty simple to finish this, a quality striker would have. He definitely needs a rest and hopefully that brings him back to his best, because at his best he is good.

1. Darren October 27, 2013 at 12:01 pm . Reply

And I do remember thinking what the hell was Vlaar doing out at right back for their first goal. None the less I don’t blame anyone for the goal as it was just so beautifully worked and finished.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath October 27, 2013 at 12:11 pm .

Vlaar seems to get caught in no mans land always seems to be out on the flanks when there is no reason to be and caught between defence and midfield. I just don’t think he gets what he’s supposed to be doing half the time. Though that could be lamberks fault.

2. Darren October 27, 2013 at 12:18 pm .

Haha anything is possible as a Lambert tactic at the moment. I feel as though Vlaar sometimes has been asked to do too much or tries to do too much. I’m sure he knows our team is below par in many areas of the ground, midfield being the worst at the moment. After all he is a Dutch international regular, which isn’t an easy feat by any means.

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath October 27, 2013 at 12:15 pm . Reply

Agree Darren though I think Benteke lacks a bit of sharpness and still think he is more of a threat away from home. He is just going through the motions with us that’s obvious but will do his best as his position in Belgian team is under threat from lukaku.

3. #HELENIUS October 27, 2013 at 2:59 am . Reply

Ye great analysis…!!! Im one who was full of optimism and said id give it 5ish games until i made a full analysis myself.
    How oh how are Weimann and Westwood anywhere near Premier League starting lineups?
    My mates have now started to kill me off for these 2 useless prats and I dont like it. I hate it a VP now because we NEVER WIN.
    Even MAN U grind out shitty wins…..We aren’t even close to that…!!! Our boys will make Chadli and Capoue look mustard when they are back to full fitness, and thats shocking……!!!!!!
    We need to get a grip and get rid of the shite and invest in real quality of we’re doomed

4. B6 October 27, 2013 at 4:59 am . Reply

LAMBERT IN!!!

1. Bill Worried Pearson. October 27, 2013 at 8:20 am . Reply

B6 finish your sentance, the shit there said it for you, Ooharh both goals came from Barry, you and I both know that old man or head was the answer to our game, Lambert is into kids only, I’m beginning to wonder about that.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath October 27, 2013 at 8:25 am . Reply

Lol now now bill. Joking apart nothing wrong with kids but someone like barry needs to be in squad to bring them on. He was the difference yesterday did you see motd different class. If Barry was playing for us yesterday we would probably have won. Lambert is a useless twat for bit resigning him when we had a chance. Lamberk out

1. Bill Worried Pearson. October 27, 2013 at 10:01 am . Reply

Oohah was at the match , met up with Everton fans and had a few bevies came home watched it again ,and yes as I’ve said Barry would have been an asset to us.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath October 27, 2013 at 11:10 am .

Agree mate

5. Terry Jones October 27, 2013 at 9:19 am . Reply

B6 Lambert in my god did not know we had Lemmings in B6.Time we had our club back and if reports on facebook are anything to go by that Red Bull want to buy Villa then i say Randy sell first thing on Monday morning.Then we may get owners whom are not only prepared to invest but get rid of Lambert the Lemming and bring in a manager whom does know something about football.

6. DAVID BUCKLEY (@jetta20) October 27, 2013 at 9:24 am . Reply

No side has conceded the first goal of the game more often than Aston Villa in the Premier League this season (7).
    just another little ray of sunshine to deal with in my little bunker over here in the orient 🙁

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath October 27, 2013 at 11:10 am . Reply

Yep we are crap in every department
      possible, it’s that simple

Lowest possession stats, most long balls, 4 defeats at VP already, playing players out of position who are out of form, shit substations, wrong formations

What more can Lambert do wrong before he gets the boot??

7. Lionheart October 27, 2013 at 12:54 pm . Reply

Lads i have said it a fair few times.. our problem is simply that our midfield is SHIT…

NO GOALS and NO CREATIVITY..

We need to spend money to get a DM AM and a winger min.. plus sell Bennett and get in a proper LB..

Guzan.. Bacuna.. Vlaar.. Okore/Baker/Clark.. Delph and Benteke are all good Prem players.. what they need is quality around them.. get the DM AM in and then you have players like Gabby and Weiman on the bench.. instantly making us stronger..

Yesterday we weren’t bad.. could and should have been 2-0 up..

The problem is the midfield.. it is piss poor.. it doesn’t hold the ball and doesn’t offer a shield to the defence.. against quality players it is impossible to hold out for 90 minutes without them creating a chance(s)

Same goes for LB.. as a CB if you are always worried that your LB will get ripped up then it will affect your game..

We have had three years plus of cosy cutting and watching depressing football.. last week against a team that was on a par with us just a few seasons ago they had Erikssen and Lamela on the bench while we have Tonev and Bowery.. depressing stuff..

We have suffered enough.. if our chairman next season can’t give the manager 50M to spend which includes the normal transfer budget plus extra sky money and the probably Benteke sale then boycott is the only way forward….

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath October 27, 2013 at 1:11 pm . Reply

I remember some years ago when MON was in charge a wolves player (can’t remember who) said that the villa midfield was one of the worst in the prem and that’s when we had Barry and petrov. I can’t remember the last time we had a good midfield prob under Bfr when we had Townsend, Richardson, houghtin and Parker. Though they were all just past their peak with us it was still decent.