Villa 0 – 1 Swansea; Gutted!

I thought for quite a while before the game and still couldn’t figure who would win it, at least not enough to make a prediction.
I ended up with the conclusion that I’d have been happy with a point, which would have been a fair result today, but I have to say I think Swansea did more than us throughout the whole game, which is why I find I can’t really complain.

They play some lovely one touch football, don’t they, Swansea?
But we played an open game too and it made for decent viewing, with both teams going for it.
Simply put though, Swansea were the better side in the first half. They controlled the ball better and made better space, which combined with their passing accuracy, made it seem like we were chasing shadows at times.
Still, we were holding our own and countering quite well, but I think many of us must have felt somewhat relieved that it was 0-0 at half time.

Sherwood obviously had a word at half time and told the fullbacks to get more involved, which I thought was a risky tactic, as Swansea’s wide men had already caused us problems.
Our defence were doing fairly well though and we were definitely the better side for most of the second half.
Until Monk brought Montero on.
He gave Bacuna a torrid time and managed to get down the wing to lay a nice ball on for Gomis, who had looked unlucky up until then, to beat Clark to it and score.

We had our chances, but I never felt convinced that we’d score unless we had a bit of luck on our side.
It was one of those days.

Well, I didn’t understand Westwood coming on for N’Zogbia, as I thought the latter looked a threat. But what do I know?
And Guzan’s kicking is just atrocious. More practice needed there, I think.

Regardless, I don’t think we should be too downhearted.
We played pretty well against a very good footballing side and mostly held our own.
It’s just that the negatives outweigh the positives at the moment.
We’re back amongst it again and it looks like Benteke is injured yet again. For once, the international break might do us a favour there, I suppose.

If only we’d got the point today, we’d have felt just that little more secure.
As Tim Sherwood would no doubt say; “Onwards and upwards!”.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
  1. Bill Pearson March 21, 2015 at 9:50 pm . Reply

Don’t understand why they have put double zero as ground attendance, that’s on their website.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath March 21, 2015 at 10:37 pm . Reply

Maybe they are not declaring it for some reason

2. bencey83 March 21, 2015 at 10:04 pm . Reply

Why people have been raving about Clark lately, I have no idea! Yes, he has improved this season (that’s not saying much), but I’d like to see a statistic on how many goals we have conceded this season where he was marking the goalscorer. Should have done better today. As should have Bacuna to prevent a cross coming in in the first place.

3. bencey83 March 21, 2015 at 10:06 pm . Reply

Would have been a big point today, but we really should have been playing for all three. I can only see us getting 8 points from the remaining games – 3 against QPR, 1 against, Everton, 1 against West Ham, and 3 against Burnley. And those aren’t guaranteed! Let’s hope we pull off a couple of shock results against the top half sides.

4. bencey83 March 21, 2015 at 10:28 pm . Reply

Here’s my predictions for the remaining games in terms of points I think teams could pick up:

– West Ham = 3
    – West Brom = 0
    – Swansea = 1
    – Burnley = 0
    – Chelsea = 0
    – Newcastle = 1
    – Southampton = 0
    – Sunderland = 1
    – QPR = 3
    TOTAL = 9
    OVERALL TOTAL = 28 (relegated)

– Everton = 1
    – West Brom = 0
    – Aston Villa = 0
    – Chelsea = 0
    – West Ham = 3
    – Liverpool = 0
    – Man City = 0
    – Newcastle = 3
    – Leicester = 0
    TOTAL = 7
    OVERALL TOTAL = 29 (relegated)

– Tottenham = 0
    – Arsenal = 0
    – Everton = 0
    – Leicester = 3
    – West Ham = 0
    – Hull = 0
    – Stoke = 3
    – Villa = 0
    TOTAL = 6
    OVERALL TOTAL = 31 (relegated)

– Newcastle = 3
    – Palace = 1
    – Stoke = 1
    – Southampton = 1
    – Everton = 0
    – Leicester = 1
    – Arsenal = 0
    – Chelsea = 0
    TOTAL = 7
    OVERALL TOTAL = 33 (safe)

– Man Utd = 0
    – QPR = 3
    – Tottenham = 0
    – Man City = 0
    – Everton = 1
    – West Ham = 1
    – Southampton = 0
    – Burnley = 3
    TOTAL = 8
    OVERALL TOTAL = 36 (safe)

– Chelsea = 0
    – Swansea = 1
    – Southampton = 1
    – Liverpool = 0
    – Palace = 0
    – Arsenal = 0
    – Burnely = 3
    – Tottenham = 0
    – Man Utd = 0
    TOTAL = 5
    OVERALL TOTAL = 33 (safe)

I think Everton will be ok. Looking at the fixtures, I think the Hull vs Burnely game could be a decider with the loser going down. There’s bound to be a few shock results in there! I reckon we could surprise a few teams yet – possible Man Utd. Who knows?! But it’s going to be squeaky bums from here on in!

5. kerryvillan March 22, 2015 at 12:23 am . Reply

Sickened we lost today, we didn’t play well but deserved a draw, Benteke won everything in the air except to head on goal, Clark had a great game but outmuscled for the goal and we should have learned sooner that montero with fresh legs had the beating of bacuna and somebody should have helped him, gabby wasted the best chance by having the ball between his legs and taking an age to shoot with his left foot when the right was the way to go!

I was in the dog Ellis stand and hav to say it was dead all game, I even got some funny looks for my shouting but to be fair I was probably swearing too much, still thought they could have helped towards the atmosphere a lot more as only sounded like the holte and north stand were singing at all! Good attendance it looked like though.

6. Bill Pearson March 22, 2015 at 9:10 am . Reply

Well I went against my ,Im not going to watch Motd, where the hell was our right back,and Okore I’ve said before to slow to get back on a ball, Clarke OK was held off for their goal but how many times was he our savour, I know its only minutes of the game on Motd but some was saying Abonglahor was guilty of a miss, but it was a blocked shot and hard lines on him, Sinclair’s near miss looked a good shot on goal, again its sticking out like a sore thumb right back and caught out of position defending an on goal attacks is a major problem.

7. Dave67 March 22, 2015 at 10:13 am . Reply

Morning all pissed off we got nothing yesterday. Teams around us also dropped points and as long as that happens we will be OK. Keep the faith up the Villa.

8. saddened March 22, 2015 at 10:30 am . Reply

Nail biting time, but think we will get wins against QPR, West Ham and Burnley with a draw against Everton and I am sure Sherwood wants to go back to Spurs and stick one up Levey… Thats a minimum of ten points so would see us well clear….. Lets just hope we are safe before the Burnley game..! As cannot see us having the balls to fight that one for a full 90 minutes.

9. VillaAwayInDiv3 March 22, 2015 at 11:20 am . Reply

QPR and Burnley are the HARDEST ones we face and we NEED to beat them….and cant see it happening,their forward play is so dangerous.
    Benteke is still being Benteke….getting offside…..fouling almost everytime he jumps and then complaining and complaining again when he does not get the pass – mind you the others should get their heads up and look for a mate in the open.
    As said we should have settled for a draw (good old hindsight) as they bought on all pacey subs and the goal was a carbon copy of an earlier move.

1. kerryvillan March 22, 2015 at 12:02 pm . Reply

Benteke getting offside? I believe we had 1 offside against us the whole game! and he won basically every ball lumped up to him so i don’t get the criticism of benteke he did all he could with no proper chance created for him again! The only criticism I would hav is that once or twice he was slow with passing the ball and then got crowded out but other than that he couldn’t do much else.

10. pat57 March 22, 2015 at 12:41 pm . Reply

All spilt milk now.

Pity Sinclair didn’t net at the end, pity Clark didn’t have the nous to bring down Gomis at the start of his run and take the yellow card (and a point).

Anyway it’s the international break and a real chance for TS to re-assess the squad before the Man Ure game who are far from unbeatable these days.Crunch match is against QPR, 3 points there and I reckon we’ll be a lot nearer being safe.

I was full of doom and gloom when Lambert was in charge but even after this loss I’m still quite hopeful. At least we had some shots on goal 🙂

1. Bum Bum March 22, 2015 at 10:29 pm . Reply

Clarke made a couple of decent blocks don’t forget…