Villa 0 – 1 Ipswich; Simply not good enough

I’ve decided to try and keep this post a little bit calmer (it’s still early over here, so I haven’t drunk too much yet, lol).

The first obvious thing to think about is how we lined up from the off.
I think Bree being injured caused a problem, in that his loss would have left a proper 3-5-2 somewhat unbalanced.
Well, that’s my thinking anyway, as it’s the only reason I can think of us starting with five defenders.
Regardless, I called for a threatening, aggressive line-up and it’s quite simply not what we got.
Why we pay so much respect to the likes of Ipswich is beyond me and I’ve spoken before about going down trying as opposed to being canny and still losing.
But then, if you look at the stats, I believe Ipswich only had one shot on target and scored.
So maybe Steve Bruce is totally correct in not being able to trust the defence?

In Bruce’s defence, he did eventually realise that we needed to be more ambitious and he put Adomah and Green on, yet still retained the same setup.
While you can’t say that’s negative, maybe it would have been a better setup from the off?

But then, the commentator’s comments intrigued me.
We were comfortable in the first half and should have gone in a goal or two to the good.
Yet we began the second half poorly. Again.
What the hell gets said to the players at half time? I’d love to know, because it clearly isn’t working.
And what are the opposition managers saying?
I suspect it’s along the lines of “don’t worry lads, you’ve got these; they’re going to bottle it”. And it would seem correct.

Tony Morley said he can’t work it out and asked if it’s the pressure from the fans, the club or whatever. I suspect it’s all of them myself.
Either way, we came out rubbish, not being able to hold the ball or pass. The usual.
And when we did start to play, we couldn’t get telling balls into the box.

Ultimately, it’s only the result that matters and we didn’t get it.
To lose our unbeaten home record, especially with what Morley called a “whimper” to Ipswich is frankly not good enough.
And when you consider we haven’t won in eight games, it’s beginning to get very worrying.
Because the question is if you can’t get a result at home to Ipswich, who are you going to get one against?

Morley said he feels sorry for Bruce and I partly agree with it.
But he’s done himself no favours whatsoever lately and it would be totally understandable if the fans turn on him, which they’re going too.

Me, I side with Morley, in that the side needs to gel.
But I know many of you won’t see it like that and comments on Villa threads everywhere are going to be interesting this weekend.
I just don’t see how changing the manager again is going to achieve anything.

But Bruce needs to start getting results.
Fast.

1. Steve Starrs February 11, 2017 at 5:38 pm . Reply

I’ve give up blaming anybody now because no matter what we do, no matter what we try, nothing seems to work. After the dross of the last 5 years, I actually embraced relegation and looked forward to enjoying games again. How wrong I was. I will always love Aston Villa but I cannot remember being so apathetic about them. After the latest transfer window ended, I began to look forward to the games again even considered going again this month. Well all that has been blown out of the water over the last 11 days. All this talk about formations and managerial changes ( again ) means nothing. So why bother worrying about it anymore. Life’s just too short.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath February 11, 2017 at 5:42 pm . Reply

Spot on I just don’t care anymore now. The club is in serious decline and has been for years. I don’t no what the answer is but could be at least ten years before we go up even longer.

2. jvillan February 11, 2017 at 5:40 pm . Reply

bruce couldnt find his own arse with both hands ,absolute garbage manager and been shown up now how bad he is
    swansea fans could believe we wanted tatlor, we start with 5 defenders hutton 3 asissts in 108 matches never a wing back, amavi looks part as wing back but bruce prefers birr a right footer playing left wing back last week
    spud out and his band of merry men calderwood how many wins since he was appointed,

1. langfordvilla February 11, 2017 at 5:58 pm . Reply

JV…..Hutton was chosen to play WB. He seems to be a honest guy so if you asked him he would admit he is not good going forward…..you have a very unhealthy obsession where Hutton is concerned!
      Are you related to oohah?

1. jvillan February 11, 2017 at 6:08 pm . Reply

langford
        just because he didnt cause havoc at the clubs,doesnt mean he is any good ,the stats where online all week about hutton,only one missing how many goals he was at fault for,but again it highlights bruce shortcomings which are every where you look,and he is like playing with 10 men, so you think bruce is doing a good job and deserves to stay

1. B6 February 11, 2017 at 6:12 pm . Reply

Who do you think we should have as manager JV?

1. langfordvilla February 11, 2017 at 6:38 pm .

Paul Lambert? πŸ™‚

2. B6 February 11, 2017 at 7:40 pm .

I recall both of us saying he’d be a decent manager given the right backing.

2. langfordvilla February 11, 2017 at 6:13 pm . Reply

Where did I say Hutton was good going forward?

1. jvillan February 11, 2017 at 6:22 pm .

bruce played him wing back enough said about spud

2. langfordvilla February 11, 2017 at 6:36 pm .

Exactly…so your entitled to have a go at Bruce in this case but NOT Hutton who is simply playing where he has been told to play!

3. B6 February 11, 2017 at 5:44 pm . Reply

Most on here, at the beginning of the season, didn’t expect promotion at the first attempt and were happy enough for us to get some stability.

Tekkers mentioned on a previous thread that from now until the end of the season it’s a training exercise. In my opinion he is spot on.

If there was ever a time to be messing about and trying different formations, systems and tactics etc etc then this is it.

Getting rid of another manager would be stupid.

A lot of change was needed at the club and a lot of change has happened. To expect it all to click together within 6 months is laughable.

I never expected or even wanted us to get promoted this season because if we had of done, we’d no doubt of set a new lowest points record for the Premiership.

We will improve and we will challenge next season. Bruce WILL get it right.

IN BRUCE I TRUST

1. langfordvilla February 11, 2017 at 5:53 pm . Reply

B6…. Your 100% correct. I said exactly the same yesterday. But 5-3-2 wont work with these players. I also trust Bruce. But he should abandon that system whilst we havent got the players to use it effectively!

4. langfordvilla February 11, 2017 at 6:04 pm . Reply

The solution is simple…..pick a system, any system except 5-3-2 that is. Stick with it, attack from the off and we will see off most teams in this division. I am convinced of that. Stick with Bruce and we will piss this league next season!

5. Saddened February 11, 2017 at 6:07 pm . Reply

My only thought is we have purchased a number of merceneries, rather than players who will play for the badge and the team and that’s what you get when the only incentive the club offer is higher wages… The club is in a real mess and anyone who thinks we wont be in a relegation fight at the end of the season, is as mad as a box of frogs !!

Was hoping for a bit of a game today but I should have known better and looked at our recent form…. Its just so boring now !!

6. Bill Pearson February 11, 2017 at 6:24 pm . Reply

Now here’s a thing, Harry Rednap made a comment about player’s, Harry would you like to be in management again?, answered, No players are not talking to managers anymore, they only speak to their agents and agents talk to owner’s, what happened to our game now if a player has a problem with a game?. Could this be the reason if a player doesn’t agree with what a manager wants.the game gone mad.

1. originallondonlion February 11, 2017 at 6:44 pm . Reply

There is something in that Bill. We can see it in other occupations, and attitudes of the generation in question. From nursery age onward, the current generation of 18-26 years old went to schools where competition among classmates was minimised. The ‘everyone gets a prize’ idea. Team games were also reduced or abandoned, no point if the previous sentence is true.

Fortunately about 10 years ago, outside the school environment, there was a growing of junior team sport participation. While I don’t agree with all the initiatives: for example, I think small sized football pitches are used far too long and we will end with players with great close control but unable to sprint up a full size pitch and back; the competitive element is present again. When the social media craze is binned by the next wave we can expect better sportsmen. Twitter has never made a profit in its history and may be the first big platform to go bust.

7. langfordvilla February 11, 2017 at 6:33 pm . Reply

BTW….we havent lost at home this season when any of these much maligned players have been in the squad!
    Bunn
    Gollini
    Richards
    Gabby
    Grealish
    Amavi
    Westwood

Just saying πŸ™‚

8. Adam February 11, 2017 at 6:44 pm . Reply

It is the system and the manager. You cant go 5 at the back with 5 defenders! 2 have to be attacking. So 1. Yes it was the system as it didnt suit are players and 2. The manager decided on those players and that formation so its his fault too. I may have been too hasty saying bruce out but he is really getting on my nerves now. 5 defeats and 1 draw doesnt really tell me Bruce is learning from his errors