Thoughts turn to Brighton and other stuff

brighton-villa

Or should it be;

22-brighton-beach-from-the-brighton-wheel

As I’m sure more than a few fans will be making a weekend of it.

Anyway….
In any normal week I’d still be digesting our last game, but all I had to think about was England’s 3-0 win over Scotland.
And the truth is I really can’t get passionate about the national side anymore, even though the game had a bit of an edge, with it being the old enemy.
You know when you have the game on TV, but find yourself doing something else and half listening? Well that’s exactly what I did, only turning to watch when the commentator raised the pitch in his voice. What I did see was a load of rubbish and Scotland were the better team.
This not being interested was something I’ve discussed with a few other footy fans since and they totally agreed with me. So I’m not alone.
Imagine how annoyed I get then when national games stop the domestic program.

So thoughts have already turned to our next game and it should prove to be a real tester because we face a very decent Brighton side who are in good form. So good that in the last five games they’re second in the form table on thirteen points, behind Newcastle. We’re not doing too badly though, as we stand third with eleven, which is play-off form.
So it should prove to be an interesting game where we’ll have yet another sell out following from our fantastic away fans.
Talking of fans, did anyone see the article where Villa are the most followed Championship club on Instagram?
We know our fanbase is fantastic, but you also have to consider Newcastle are in the league too, so it wouldn’t have been a surprise if we were second in this particular table.
But what really surprised me was the difference in the figures.
Fulham are third with 62.3k followers. Norwich are second with 66.2k followers.
And we top the table with a superb 160k followers.
So where are Newcastle?
Ninth with 38.4k followers; behind even the Blues.
There’s an anomaly there somewhere and it can only be that the Geordies just don’t do Instagram.
Neither do the Blues fans it would seem, but I won’t go down that road (ahem).
Perhaps it’s a case of the club doing something particularly right on this occasion and I thought it was interesting anyway.

And while we’re talking about Brighton, I’d forgotten that Chris Hughton was managing the team.
I’ve always rated him as a decent manager and thought he was treated terribly at Newcastle. I’d normally wish him good luck but of course that’s out of the window for this one.
The good news is because it’s being played on a stupid Friday (what a nightmare it’ll be travelling down there), it’ll be on Sky and no matter what work I’m up to, I’ll definitely be able to watch this one.

I’ll do a more specific preview prior to the game, but we already know Jedinak won’t be playing, so it’s going to be tough on our midfield.
Hence there’s no prediction from me yet.

All that apart, there’s not a fat lot happening except for the usual speculation rubbish, where you’d think we’re going to be buying two new squads.
I’m sure you all know I take all that stuff with a huge dose of salt.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. giddyvillan November 15, 2016 at 11:34 am . Reply

Testing 😀

2. Bum Bum November 16, 2016 at 10:28 am . Reply

I think we’ll get three points here! With our awesome travelling fanbase and the wind behind us, we just might do this.
    What’s the news on injuries? I know the Jedi will be rested…or just come on for the second half but what about t’others?
    Raining? It’s a lovely day today guys! Especially after an unexpected cheque for PPI repayment for £1,600 has just dropped through the letterbox!!!! Back of the net!!!!! 🙂

3. badger123 November 16, 2016 at 3:57 pm . Reply

Nice touch, that cheque mate!

Seems to be plenty of confidence, which makes a nice change.

Latest news is;
    Australian international Mile Jedinak has already been ruled out as Bruce feels he won’t have enough time to rest after scoring twice in a 2-2 draw with Thailand in Bangkok.

That opens up a space in the centre of midfield and Leandro Bacuna is likely to fill in if he can shake off a injury that has ruled him out of the last two games.

Jordan Amavi will also be assessed after missing France U21s win over England U21s in midweek with a knock.

Elsewhere, Micah Richards remains a doubt and Ritchie De Laet is out for the long-term.

Tommy Elphick and Aaron Tshibola are pushing for recalls to the starting XI while Gabby Agbonlahor’s fitness is picking up after a positive week of training.

Jordan Ayew returns from suspension so he is likely to be recalled to the starting line-up.

4. OriginalLondonLion November 17, 2016 at 4:43 pm . Reply

Gollini to be MOM and Villa to win by 1 goal.

5. Bill Pearson November 17, 2016 at 7:45 pm . Reply

Nice thought OLL, who will score?

6. pat57 November 17, 2016 at 10:44 pm . Reply

Apparently SB is nicking Brighton’s Assistant Manager!

Colin Calderwood might be on his way to VP as Stevie’s number two.

Not boring following the Villa these days, is it?

7. pat57 November 18, 2016 at 6:13 am . Reply

Any chance that Calderwood going might unsettle Brighton tonight?

Certainly adds a bit of spice to the game.

Now going for a 1-2 Villa win.

8. nath November 18, 2016 at 7:02 am . Reply

this game against brighton is massive. we are playing catch ups. cant afford to lose any more ground to teams like these lot. i would be more confident but without the lack of real preparation for the silly friday night kick off. one of our best player has only just got back from flying halfway around the world and back. talk about unfair disadvantages.

if we can keep up this form, automatic promotion is still on. top 6 will be the main goal or the fall back plan. can’t surrender the top 2 until its mathematically impossible.
    brighton 1 villa 1

i saw brightons game against nowich, i thought they are very neat passing team strong in defense. the score was 5 nil this was mainly down to norwich and their poor defending. whatever happens tonight we will have a clearer picture of where we stand going forwards.this will be a massive test

9. Bill Pearson November 18, 2016 at 5:06 pm . Reply

Anyone with butterflies? I know I have and started on my whisky, I’m sticking my neck out and going for 2-1 Villa, key men missing but those that come in know they have to perform. utv