The transfer window; A damp squib and will Garde walk?

So that’s it then, not a single player signed in a window that has to rank as the worst ever for Aston Villa FC.

And while most of us knew we wouldn’t be pushing the boat out because it doesn’t make financial sense, I doubt anyone thought we wouldn’t sign anybody.
Least of all the manager Remi Garde.

I’ve seen people commenting that they thought Garde was complicit with Lerner and the board keeping the purse tightly shut, with words such as “puppet” being used, but that’s a viewpoint I can’t subscribe to.
I’m confident that even though he knows the true situation better than any of us fans, he must surely have thought he would get some money to play with.
Not serious money, but at least enough to get a couple of players in; enough to try and convince the players he’s called out that they have competition.
Enough to at least let him be able to do his job and show the current players that they might not necessarily get a game.

And it’s not just that.
What message is this sending out to everybody?
I can’t see any other than we’ve 100% accepted defeat and
relegation.
Which we all know is happening anyway, but that’s not the point.
A club of our stature should not be holding it’s hands up and surrendering meekly the way we have and as much as certain ex assistant managers might call us fans deluded, it’s simply true.
No, we don’t have a divine right to be in the Prem, but we do have a right to expect the club to at least try and remain in it.

Which is where the finances comes back into it.
The simple comparison is this;
The club spent around £7 million in the summer.
Yes, I accept Lerner has actually laid out more (Benteke staged payments etc), but he’ll get it back, so it doesn’t count as a net spend.
Whereas Middlesboro have just laid out around £11-12 million for Jordan Rhodes. I don’t have a clue what Boro spent in the summer, but that one player alone has easily beaten our spend for this season. And he’ll be on realistic wages.
Which all makes me feel embarrassed, as a fan of one of the richest clubs in the world.

And then there’s our new chairman.
Anybody who knows anything about the game would know that you need signings to inject some hope into the club and it’s fans.
And while it might not exactly be prudent, sometimes it’s more than just about the pound notes, hence you’d have thought he might want us to at least sign someone too.
But no, he’s now proven what we all thought, in that he’s come in with a pure remit, which is to maximise the shareholder’s return.

There’s a very valid argument that says you have to pay inflated fees and more importantly, the inflated wages that goes with them, in the winter window. Hence, any money spent might be wasted if we were to get relegated, especially where we’re already trying to cut costs.
And it’s an argument that I can’t disagree with.
But one thing I do know.
Two other clubs who go down with us, will have tried.
Even the next lowest spenders at the bottom of the league spent £5 million.
Christ, even Bournemouth have spent £17 million from what I’m seeing!

Are we really saying we can’t compete with the likes of them?
It would seem so.

Whichever way you look at it, that’s simply not good enough and I don’t believe it’s something Garde signed up for.
So while I’m not Garde’s biggest fan, I have a lot of sympathy for him at the moment and it really wouldn’t surprise me if he walks, as it seems to me he’s been totally mis-led.
But at the same time, I have a lot of respect for the man in the way he’s handled himself whilst slating the board as much as he reasonably can.
So I’d expect it to happen at the end of the season.

Eric Black as the next manager, anyone?
At least he’ll be cheap, won’t he?

1. Stubbs February 2, 2016 at 4:47 pm . Reply

two*

2. swampduck February 2, 2016 at 5:10 pm . Reply

i walked out half way through a match 20 years ago and swore i would never pay to see them again until it got better . still have not been back since .save my money and watch every game on tv from the comfort of my home free .to many overpaid players that under achieve

3. VTID February 2, 2016 at 5:10 pm . Reply

How would it look if we loose tonight, Garde walks and the next appointment comes in and turns it around with the already existing players….as much as this is hypothetical it could happen I would rather him wait till summer then do one….

Lerner will never see the bad side of any of this unless Villa ruin his life by whatever means (best I think would be a new type of cancer called lack of AVFC blood cells, and very aggressive with imminent death) and yes I am that pissed off about our club!!!

I will not boycot any of the remaining home games I’ve paid my dues and will not let that lie, I have however stopped purchasing any items, and will continue.

Next year is going to be a very difficult one for me cause I will have every Saturday free unlike the past 10 years where I have gone to ever game home and away, and 20 years before that every home game, no matter what happens stay up get relegated no more this is my final year.

I just hope that the shit holes running our great history club to the ground eventually realise what they signed up for.

VTID / Claret and Blue Army

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath February 2, 2016 at 5:40 pm . Reply

You’ll be there with a ST next year. New season new hope more propaganda from club. Usually works

1. VTID February 2, 2016 at 5:46 pm . Reply

Ooh, sorry mate your wrong, I will be spending it on watching a local Rugby team, more passion, and more dedication.

1. giddyvillan February 2, 2016 at 6:03 pm . Reply

TOO right up the warriors.

1. Hitchens 60 February 2, 2016 at 6:47 pm .

With you Giddy – Warriors – now there is a well run club albeit still to really impress itself on the premiership.

Took a hospitality deal year or so back and got totally – anahialated – lost the rest of the day and most of Sunday 🙂

4. pat57 February 2, 2016 at 5:19 pm . Reply

‘Garde could be without six players for the West Ham clash but has urged those on show tonight to demonstrate they are still alive in the bid to stay up’

Quote from the AVFC propaganda email.

Just who do they think they are kidding?

Only themselves perhaps.

West Ham win 5- 0 (or even worse)

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath February 2, 2016 at 5:37 pm . Reply

The sad thing is West Ham only need one goal to beat us. If they score in first few minutes it’s game over.

5. pat57 February 2, 2016 at 5:51 pm . Reply

Ray Houghton on the ‘The sad decline of a massive club’

1. marvin February 2, 2016 at 6:19 pm . Reply

Well if there is any silver lining to all this the board has at least unified the supporter blogs and the media.

6. Stubbs February 2, 2016 at 6:12 pm . Reply
  7. pat57 February 2, 2016 at 7:02 pm . Reply

Gabby starts.

Why is my heart not filled with joy?

31 Bunn
    4 Richards
    5 Okore
    16 Lescott
    43 Cissokho
    7 Bacuna
    8 Gueye
    17 Veretout
    25 Gil
    19 J Ayew
    11 Agbonlahor

8. pat57 February 2, 2016 at 7:35 pm . Reply

‘Remi Garde ready to quit Aston Villa after club fails to strengthen squad in January’

Now tell me something I don’t know