The Prem clubs and Villa should pay the living wage to it’s workers

I’ve just been browsing the news, as I do everyday looking for anything of particular interest regarding the Villa.
And I’ve just come across a story where Everton have committed to pay it’s employees the living wage.

If you’re as naive as me, you’re probably wondering what the big deal is or even wondering why they’re so late getting there.
But the truth is, it seems they’re only the second club to have made such a commitment, after (what seems) Chelsea.

This is an utter disgrace, in my opinion.

Now I’m not going to encourage any politics here, but we all know the modern desire is to make money.
The more you make, the better you are, regardless of any costs/downsides. That’s how it is.

But we’re not talking new, up and coming companies here, who need to save every penny.
We’re talking multi million pound companies, who pay the top employees (the players) obscene amounts of money to kick a bag of wind around twice a week at most.
We often hear about the difference between company directors and average pay, but how vast must the difference be between our top players and those who clear the rubbish from under the seats every week?

And it’s not like we’re talking millions of pounds to sort this out either.
I know we employ a few hundred workers, but most only do a couple/few hours a week.
It’s peanuts in the scheme of a club like the Villa and we aren’t even in the Prem!
None of the Premier league clubs have any excuse whatsoever for not paying the living wage, in my opinion.

I’m not offering to put myself out there as some great campaigner (those days have gone).
But we should at least talk about it and spread the message.

And if you don’t agree, just consider the amount of money washing about in the game.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Bill Pearson November 2, 2016 at 8:42 pm .

I wager that all members of the fifa staff have pins depicting who they are, this is a smack in the gob to the British people, we the Brits lay down lives for that load of shite.

OriginalLondonLion November 2, 2016 at 11:41 pm .

Going back to Badger’s opening point, I have to deplore the latest version of a the protection racket which is everywhere in the commercial world since mission statements and the interfering busybodies who do nothing useful were given airtime.

Just because only two clubs have declared that they pay all their staff the living/minimum wages YOU assume – with no evidence – that every club that has not declared is paying less.

I am not singling you out for blame, this is the way you are being conditioned. It is endemic in kids’ football organisations. If you do not have certificates to say you are not a child-molester – the inference is you must be one. So you have to pay some self appointed prat for your certificate. The mentality is everywhere, please learn to resist it.

Hitchens 60 November 3, 2016 at 10:48 am .

Great point OLL

Guilty until proven innocent – seems to be the new mantra these days.

badger123 November 3, 2016 at 7:35 pm .

OLL,
      That’s a totally diversory argument.

I’m 99.9% sure that any other club (at least outside London) that pays the living wage would have said so.
      Who in this modern age would pass up a PR opportunity like that?

We all know the game isn’t really interested in the fans, let alone it’s lower level workers, these days, after all.
      Money is the only thing that matters and that’s why so many fans can’t even afford to go and see a game.
      That’s the real protection racket, imo.

OriginalLondonLion November 4, 2016 at 9:32 pm .

Not easy. The staff on a clubs book’s who are on a weekly salary are but a small percentage. It might be easy to say they are paid a living wage, but not to say that everyone working in VP on match days is. Football is an events business. As such it employs a huge number of staff on match days only, who probably do other jobs on other days of the week. This leads clubs to employ specialist events catering, stewarding, cleaning companies and the people working at VP are in fact working for the specialist firm not AVFC. They may be working at 5 or 6 different events venues in any week.

Bill Pearson November 3, 2016 at 11:49 am .

See what you mean lads, i refuse to draw petrol when they ask you to pay first, always say to them you calling me a thief?

pat57 November 3, 2016 at 1:18 pm .

Nevertheless if Villa came out and stated that they would always pay the living wage as a minimum we’d actually know rather than just guessing.

Which is the point.

pat57 November 3, 2016 at 1:21 pm .

Anyway back to football. Are you going to put up a preview for the Blackburn game?

One we should definitely win and that’s the very first time I’ve thought that about a game for years. Progress has been made.

giddyvillan November 3, 2016 at 6:15 pm .

5-0 VILLA

badger123 November 3, 2016 at 7:37 pm .

I’ll write a preview tomorrow, no worries.
    I’m not keen on doing them too early, that’s all 🙂

Bill Pearson November 4, 2016 at 6:31 am .

May I be the first to wish you a happy birthday Giddy, get it down you’re mate.

giddyvillan November 4, 2016 at 8:56 am .

CHEERS MATE & yes I am until midnight Sunday it’s going to be one hell of a bender.6-0 VILLA

Dave67 November 4, 2016 at 9:17 am .

Happy birthday Giddy, Enjoy.

giddyvillan November 4, 2016 at 9:43 am .

CHEERS MATE 😀

Hitchens 60 November 4, 2016 at 10:14 am .

Happy Birthday Giddy – get it down yer mate

giddyvillan November 4, 2016 at 10:19 am .

CHEERS MATE 😀 started 2 hours ago hic. Getting it down me

Hitchens 60 November 4, 2016 at 10:55 am .

Bit early here only 7am!

Bill Pearson November 4, 2016 at 12:33 pm .

Do you have different times on your allotment Hitch?.

Hitchens 60 November 4, 2016 at 12:45 pm .

Like it Bill – on our annual visit but no allotment out here – just coconuts and monkeys……….and lots of rum!

Bill Pearson November 4, 2016 at 1:43 pm .

Good luck to you Hitch, I’m just back from Cornwall bloody freezing and ended up with dreaded lergy, Still Villa will cheer me up? I hope.

Hitchens 60 November 4, 2016 at 7:20 pm .

Too true Bill – another win and we might all just start believing again.