Southampton 2-3 Villa; belated thoughts

Apologies for not updating last night’s post.
The absolute truth is, I fell asleep and didn’t wake again until about one am.
I really need a cushier job.

Anyway, much has been said, with what I think are some salient points in the comments.

First off, I’ll re-emphasise how I felt about this result.
As I said previously, I was chuffed to bits. We won against a team with a very decent record up to now.

But let’s get it straight.
The reason I was so chuffed was because we were so lucky, not because of the way we played.
Of course, luck is a two way thing. Sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s bad.
This time, we had good luck in spades.
How else can you describe 23% possession, 3 shots and 3 goals?

There’s a very good argument that says you make your own luck, but yesterday I don’t believe we did.
In my opinion, Kozac was awful and I was itching for him to be brought off just before he scored. To me, his touch is poor, he goes down like a sack of spuds at the slightest touch and to me, still needs to be given bit parts until he learns our game a bit more.
Imagine my dismay then, when having just scored a nice moral-boosting goal, Lambert subbed him straightaway. I really don’t understand that one.

Similar with Al Ahmedi. He was totally anonymous until he got his goal.

Whatever, the same old faults were there. Horrendous passing and giving away possession far too easily, which, have no doubt about it will cost us big time somewhere.
I remain convinced we’d have been moaning like crazy, had we lost this game, as I suspect many of us expected.

The biggest plus point?
How poor did the defence look without Vlaar?
Any doubters about Concrete Ron (you know who you are) must surely have been shown the error of their ways. And to fair, he has conceded such πŸ˜‰

At the end of the day, you sometimes get very lucky and this was one of those days.
Pochettino said you’d expect to win that game 999 times in a thousand.
I love one in a thousand wins.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. Naughtius Maximus December 6, 2013 at 12:59 pm . Reply

the subbing kozac thing made sense to me, im guessing lambert was about to take him off prior to the goal anyway but as a team who has just gone one behind at home with 20 odd mins left Southampton were going to start throwing everything at us allowing cb’s to wander up pitch and so on. bringing on benteke would no doubt make them think twice about going all out and phycologically it was a good move.
    as it goes it didn’t work coz they went n bloody scored anyway but it did make sense if you look at it that way.

2. GIDDYVILLAN December 6, 2013 at 1:21 pm . Reply

I agree NM i just hope he sorts the home form out.

3. Colonius81 December 6, 2013 at 3:23 pm . Reply

he is exciting to watch BWS! but its way to early to say if he will adapt yet. he is great in flashes but i think he needs a season of starts to see if he can get those tricky feet producing week in week out

1. BWS December 6, 2013 at 3:43 pm . Reply

You referring to Deulofleu COLONIUS? Pace, lovely balance, two great feet brave enough to run at defences and he appears to have a football head on him.
      Just how good could he become?

4. Naughtius Maximus December 6, 2013 at 3:27 pm . Reply

no doubt everton are doing really well but they do have 3 players who are an integeral part of their team who wont be there next season or in the future and re team building that’s a problem.
    Martinez done well considering, he needed those type of players and was never going to be able to sign that type of quality so a loan deal was the best option.
    they may struggle next season if they don’t replace them adequately.
    im with ooah on the loaning in of young players to groom for the ‘big’ clubs except for lukaku coz it seems that no matter how good he is Chelsea don’t want him coz he didn’t cost 60mil or whatever πŸ˜‰ if everton were able to sell him back to Chelsea in jan for 50/60mil then they’d lap it up. πŸ˜‰
    I think benteke is as good as lukaku but form wise this season they are poles apart.

1. Naughtius Maximus December 6, 2013 at 3:28 pm . Reply

don’t know why this post came out here?

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath December 6, 2013 at 11:04 pm . Reply

Agree NM. Though If Everton sneaked fourth they would be in a pisition to attract top replacements or keep best players. I’d love lukaka at the mo he us better than CB imo and will be their main striker in works cup barring injury. If we put a Β£100m on CB then Chelsea will buy him lol

5. Langfordvilla December 6, 2013 at 6:19 pm . Reply

Bollox to the World Cup and all this fixing with seeded groups. Its just money making bollox like the CL…..FFS just put the 32 names in a hat and draw 4 at a time for each of the 8 groups. Football, especially CL and world cup is just fucking shit now. Lets have a proper ‘fair’ and ‘equal’ draw….it would add to the excitement and get me interested again!

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath December 6, 2013 at 10:56 pm . Reply

It was a fair and equal draw have u seen how easy England’s game is if they get out if group. Probably be Ivory Coast or Japan a walkover game for us

2. OohAhPaulMcGrath December 6, 2013 at 10:57 pm . Reply

Btw the premier fixture list us fixed IMO how many super sundays of we get. Look at the easy run in ins utd get.

6. Andrew December 6, 2013 at 11:12 pm . Reply

They’re much better than either Costa Rica or Australia, and won’t be a walk-over for too many Countries, if any at all. On talent, they’re not far off, if at all to the talent England has.