So Xia passed the “fit and proper” test. Will he pass the acid test?

So it’s a short and sweet video, with no sound, but it’s just the sort of thing I like to see. Anyone who says “Up the Villa” is okay by me.

Tony Xia is confirmed as our new owner then and is due for a press conference, along with Roberto Di Matteo this morning.
It was nice seeing pictures/video of him walking around the ground and while I’m not sure if it was his first time, he couldn’t have failed to have been impressed with what he saw.
While my dream as a kid would have been to play for the club, now it would be to actually own it.
The ground is a great sight when it’s empty, but imagine sitting watching an important game, in front of a full house, where we’re winning and the crowd are really rocking.
And then thinking “I own this”. How good would that be?

But it isn’t going to happen, so while I’m coming back to reality, I’m starting to think about what Mr Xia might be thinking.

We’ve seen the reports where Xia is going to hand over Β£30 million to RDM, but I’ve also seen opinions that we shouldn’t look to buy our way out of the Championship and should look to use our kids.
Ive talked about the latter point before and it’s a nice idea. But it won’t work.
We have to look at the competition we’re going to face this season and there are some serious clubs in this league.
Newcastle are going to spend, Derby have a decent starting point with a good manager in Pearson and I could cite lots of other examples, which don’t need explanation.
My concern is that if we try to play with an average championship league outlook, from a club point of view, there are much more experienced clubs than us that already know what it’s about.

So while it goes against my instincts, I have to confess that I want Mr Xia to go all out for promotion.
Which means we have to get rid of the rubbish, get in some proper quality and then, secondarily, bring in some experienced grafters and maybe introduce the kids if we’re doing well, come the winter.

Yes, I know. It means root and branch change, where we risk a bunch of players not knowing each other.
But we can’t keep most of the squad we have, as I believe it’s beyond saving, as a whole.
If that’s true, a couple of top-ups is going to achieve nothing, is my point.

Of course, this is going to cost serious money and while I wouldn’t profess to have clue about how contracts work in reality, I’d like to think that with massive incentive-based contracts, it won’t cost ridiculous amounts if we don’t get promotion at the first attempt.
For clarity, I’m talking about double your basic wage with a win bonus, type thing and halve it if you lose.

Wouldn’t that be a good incentive to any player who is confident in his ability?
Or perhaps I’m still dreaming.

The point is, I have concerns that if it takes too long to get promoted, Xia will quickly get bored with us.
Okay, I’ve read that he’s going to buy a house in the Midlands and base himself 50/50 in Birmingham and China.
How long will he be happy making that little commute?
I’d suggest not long, given that he has a young daughter.

Hence I think he has no option but to go all out to get us up straight away and will provide RDM with pretty much what he wants.

Which is the acid test I mentioned in the headline.
If he tries to do things on the cheap, by signing cheap, old hacks, lower league players and introducing the kids too quickly, I think I’ll come to a pretty quick conclusion as to what he’s all about.

But I seriously think he’s the real deal and that isn’t going to happen.
It’s going to be a real roller coaster couple of years, where I expect major highs and lows.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. nath June 15, 2016 at 5:43 pm . Reply

loving the prospect of signing Elphick, it shows RDM understands the failings of the previous seasons. leadership or lack of it, on field and off needs to be addressed. Elphick is a leader on the field and in the dressing room. definitely will be a better influence than the last captains of last season. not to forget be a better defender than richards and lescott.

okore seems to have his mind change about wanting to leave, maybe he hasn’t be offered wages matching his current one at villa. never know your on a good deal until you lose it lmao ask insomnia. rather have 11 committed players, than 11 mercenaries that pick and choose their battles they prefer

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 15, 2016 at 7:25 pm . Reply

Bit small for a CH only 5ft 11 though still a lot taller than me πŸ™‚

1. nath June 15, 2016 at 7:41 pm . Reply

but is he better than some of the defenders we have oohahaha that is the question. i think he is the type of player we desperately lack. i could see him and clark being a solid defensive pair with baker as back up

2. OriginalLondonLion June 15, 2016 at 10:03 pm . Reply

As regulars will know, Bournemouth are my second team, so I have seen Tommy Elphick play for some time, and followed his duties as club captain. As a man, a leader, and a defensive organiser he is exactly what you would hope a club captain to be. I.E. the complete opposite of Gabby and Richards. I am still slightly concerned how fit he is, but no doubt his medical will be rigorous.

2. Bum Bum June 15, 2016 at 6:07 pm . Reply

I shouldn’t worry about Xia lacking family time Badger. The super rich are rarely family oriented…Business first!!!
    I like this guy. He could move in next door to you and one would expect him to be quite unassuming. He’s obviously driven, and has been very successful in taking the opportunities China has presented. As long as he doesn’t turn out to be a barsteward, I’m really, rather thoroughly chuffed!
    A hybrid of Leicester, Citeh and Accrington Staley will do just fine. He’s welcome to bring his family over to ours for supper any time he likes!

1. Holtender June 15, 2016 at 8:41 pm . Reply

Happy days Bum Bum! Just read a quote from his press conference;

“My first priority is getting the right atmosphere in the Club, to get the spirit back.
      We need players who fight for the Club and love the Club and contribute.
      That’s the first priority.”

music to my ears!

3. langfordvilla June 15, 2016 at 6:17 pm . Reply

Just GET RID of the ‘dislike button’…….its simple people either ‘like’ the post and click the like button. If on the other hand they ‘dislike’ the post, they can say so below, thus, revealing their identity….it will put a stop to the sad simpletons!

UTV

1. Hitchens 60 June 15, 2016 at 6:47 pm . Reply

Good idea Langford – Facebook has a similar arrangement.

2. Stubbs June 15, 2016 at 8:51 pm . Reply

I hit the dis-like button at times simply because my opinion differs from the post I have read. Does that make me a Bluenose?

The whole point of this forum, well from my understanding, is for people to have an opinion.

If people don’t agree why should an explanation be required?

There is no right or wrong, just peoples opinions.

1. Bill Pearson June 15, 2016 at 9:10 pm . Reply

Stubs, say it to their face and not behind backs, the dislike button is in my mind a place to hide.

1. Stubbs June 15, 2016 at 9:34 pm . Reply

I have hit your dislike button Bill because I don’t agree with your comment. Hope that explanation helps you sleep easier. πŸ™‚

2. Hitchens 60 June 15, 2016 at 9:26 pm . Reply

‘Why should an explanation be required’ – err because it’s about people having an opinion – your words. Perhaps we would like to know why you dislike a post – it’s called a debate.

Facebook don’t have a dislike button for a reason – it has no value.

1. Stubbs June 15, 2016 at 9:30 pm . Reply

Facebook Facebook Facebook…..get a life mate.

1. Hitchens 60 June 15, 2016 at 9:50 pm .

I have a very nice one thanks for your concern πŸ™‚

4. Holtender June 15, 2016 at 8:26 pm . Reply

At the risk of sounding overly optimistic, I wonder if Yacouba Sylla would mind if we repurposed his song;

Tony Xia, Xia, Xia
    He saved the fucking Villa, Villa, Villa!

5. langfordvilla June 15, 2016 at 8:35 pm . Reply

So the good Doctor Tony has no plans to rename VP…..I hope he doesnt change his mind on that one. I can, however, see the North Stand being demolished (about time too IMO). A new stand with the naming rights sold to a wealthy company (Dr Tone knows plenty) will help funding for transfers and help us swerve the ludicrous FFP crap that favours the few!

1. Hitchens 60 June 15, 2016 at 9:22 pm . Reply

I have no objection to renaming the Doug Ellis Stand – it would bring in a lot more money with a different name πŸ™‚

1. Stubbs June 15, 2016 at 9:36 pm . Reply

I have hit your like button because I agree with your comment. Hope that puts your mind at rest for a while. πŸ™‚

1. Bill Pearson June 16, 2016 at 7:02 am . Reply

I’m glad you see my point Stubs.

1. OohAhPaulMcGrath June 16, 2016 at 8:37 am .

Oh look everyone another bullshit 5-10yr plan. Sound familiar! http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-can-rule-europe-8203015

6. steve June 15, 2016 at 9:41 pm . Reply

it does not bother me if people dislike my comments. we all have an opinion.
    it would not be much of a discussion group if we all agreed on ever thing.

7. steve June 15, 2016 at 9:46 pm . Reply

I don’t know if anyone else picked up on some comments earlier when talking about the club (not the ground). they kept saying the villa name not Aston villa.

8. Dave.C June 15, 2016 at 11:34 pm . Reply

A safe standing area would be a good start, and reverse the decision to turn half of the lower North Stand into a wheelchair only zone, that’s the most atmospheric part of the ground.