Page 1 of 1
    OriginalLondonLion May 13, 2015 at 8:50 am .

Is it coincidence, but no sooner is a player (with us or a target) mentioned in this blog than news comes in that we are seeking a replacement. Given is one of the smaller keepers in the EPL and opponents do try to impede him at corners. He is also a veteran now.

I have seen quite a few of the championship promotion chasers this season and I have to say Brentford’s keeper made no impression on me. The keeper who caught my eye was Ipswich’s #1, though I cannot recall his name. Bournemouth and Watford will struggle if they don’t get better keepers now they are in the Premiership.

Guzan looked inferior to Friedel when both were at VP and I do not think he has improved. My main complaint about him is not his first class athletic ability, it is his anticipation. If a keeper does not pick this up as a junior he never will. Quite often a striker can only hit one side of the goal, without skewing off balance or hitting his marker’s legs if trying to go the other way. A good goalkeeper will shift to cover the easy side, Guzan doesn’t, he remains in a position to go either way. His distribution isn’t so important, but it is bad. He cannot kick accurately from hand or floor, and he certainly can’t throw like Hart or Cech.

As was written in the previous thread, the quality of the EPL keepers tallies remarkably with the league table, so if we hope to finish higher we need a better #1.

Andrew May 13, 2015 at 3:37 pm .

From what I’ve been told, he’s a consistent, quality keeper. That our goal keeper coach believes has incredible potential, even at 26.

Obviously would prefer someone like Ruffier, Perin, Kardeniz, Sommer, Cillesen, Trapp, Neto, Horn, Fabricio ect as they’re actually top class keepers, but it doesn’t seem we’ll be looking at that.

Ardent Villain May 13, 2015 at 9:18 pm .

If that £3m a year for Given is true, I’d expect him gone soon….

Andrew May 13, 2015 at 9:22 pm .

Villa’s reportedly scouted Nyland of Malmo and Timo Horn of Koln.

Andrew May 13, 2015 at 9:25 pm .

Molde* not Malmo.

Darren May 14, 2015 at 12:30 am .

Both keepers have half the premier league after them, will be a tough battle to get either.

Andrew May 14, 2015 at 12:35 am .

Of course of course. Everton want Nyland I definitely know. Not sure what better side than us would want Horn though.

Darren May 14, 2015 at 2:08 am .

Horn is apparently highly regarded in Germany and being touted as a potential successor to Neur. My understanding is Livepool, Arsenal and Real Madrid have seen to have been scouting him.

Nyland has already been tabled an offer from Southampton, Everton are apparently keen as well. I have heard rumours of West Ham, West Brom and a couple others being interested too. But its all rumours, so who knows.

Both keepers look class and would be great signings in my opinion, if we could get them

Andrew May 14, 2015 at 2:54 am .

I don’t think Arsenal need a keeper, Madrid and Pool wouldn’t be surprising, but both would currently ruin Horn with their current keepers still being starters. But yeah, he’s highly, highly rated.

Unless Southampton plan on getting rid of Forster, Nyland isn’t a no go. Everton have reportedly talked to him. West Ham have Adrian who’s done well, West Bromich with Foster.

Not saying we will get either, and as I said, Horn’s clearly my first choice, but either would make incredible signings.

Bum Bum May 14, 2015 at 6:55 am .

Are you two working the night shift?

Darren May 14, 2015 at 11:09 am .

Nah im from Australia, the times are a little different over here

Bill Pearson May 14, 2015 at 7:42 am .

Sorry Bum Bum they’ve gone to bed.? I see we got a coverage on TV the weekend 12-45 kick off BT. The discussion of goal keeper’s lost me, Steer should have that chance next season he’s earned the rights, a new player would only inflate another wage bill, Given how long has he got on contract? Cuzan a howler yes but been times he’s saved the Villa, 50-50 to me. Still need solid players in defence Vlaar hit and miss on games, so are one or two others.

Bum Bum May 14, 2015 at 9:20 am .

On TV? Ace stuff. Early to the pub 🙂 Thanks Bill. I always wondered why Big Brad left so early??? I guess he saw the writing on the wall and jumped ship. Don’t blame him. Shay is getting on and I think Brad has performed admirably at times, but we need to step up. I’ll have to do my homework on foreign keepers before I can offer suggestions, unless Tim and our seemingly busy scouting dept can uncover an English rough diamond to polish up. Should we also be looking at the goalkeeping coaching staff then? On the defensive front, Clarke and Baker will be back next season and again have produced some solid displays this season. I’d let Vlaar go though, he’s just too injury prone and the defence for me is where you need a stable line up more than anywhere on the park.
      Benteke??? Him staying hinges on the flip of a coin. If a player is enjoying himself, he’s more likely to stay (Bale apart…), and Liverpool can do one. Who do they think they are? God I hate Rodgers…arrogant tw*t.

Ardent Villain May 14, 2015 at 12:55 pm .

Know what you mean about Liverpool, but I don’t think it’s [just?] Rodgers; the club, fans and some of the players [take a bow Mr Gerrard…] are deluded into thinking that ‘history’ gives them some automatic entitlement to permanently be one of the ‘Big 4’ and automatically linked as a place that any player would jump to.

‘History’ is all very well, but to compete at the very highest level needs cash, lots of it, and today that means mega-sponsorships and countless thousands of people on the other side of the world buying crappy shirts, and paying to watch on TV, and an extremely generous billionaire to kick-start all of it in the first place.

Mind you, some of us aren’t always clear on that point either – even though most of our history is back from the 19th Century, with the glorious exception of 1981/82!

KentNielsen77 May 14, 2015 at 7:18 pm .

Brendan Rogers is a prize bell end.

GIDDYVILLAN May 14, 2015 at 7:28 pm .

Fucking hate the bin dippers full stop & anyone associated wiv em.

badger123 May 14, 2015 at 9:17 pm .

Slight aside here, but Sherwood has offered a journo a £100 bet that Lerner doesn’t sell this summer.
    Does he know something or is he just playing a game?

Ardent Villain May 14, 2015 at 9:39 pm .

I’d assume that he knows more than we [or any journo] do…

Badger123 May 14, 2015 at 10:10 pm .

Maybe, but it could be a bluff.
        Or a double bluff.
        I don’t know, I can’t pick my nose when it comes to gambling 🙂

Ardent Villain May 14, 2015 at 10:16 pm .

Me neither.

But what would be the point of either?

‘Avin a larf..’ is one thing, but why would Sherwood dicuss what I guess might be a bit of a sensitive subject at all?

88 May 15, 2015 at 7:50 pm .

Also from Brentford – Tim’s No.1 transfer target this summer will be Andre Gray.